2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Serene... See those vines?View attachment 32256

Looks very much like "Serene" might be a semi runner that got listed in the SSE yearbook under the bush section. They don't have a category for semi runners. You can probably just grow it like it is on the ground this season as if it was a bush type.

BeanQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Serene is vining more than my pole beans right now
IMG_20190622_130515977.jpg

BeanQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, first time with them. We shall see. My garden has a tendency to make most bush varieties vine, but usually towards the middle of the season, not this early

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
The backyard bean nursery is coming alive. Beans are poppin up and smiling at the sun. Second photo is a row of "Stoney Creek". A recent outcross from 2016 found in a white seeded bean. "Stoney Creek" was the first and fastest bean to emerge from the soil in my back yard plots this year. Third photo is six "Lake Avenue Beauty" plants I was able to get growing in earlier in the month. Watered them ocassionally with warm water to help germination.
IMG_0036[1].JPG

Backyard Bean Nursery

IMG_0037[1].JPG

Stoney Creek

IMG_0038[1].JPG

Lake Avenue Beauty

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

BeanQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nonna Agnes is the first and only bean for me to grow. QUOTE]

You will find in warm weather beans will be beige. The ones maturing at the end of the season when cooler will be bluer. It's a fun bean to grow, my first time with it was last year. Really enjoyable to shell, too, lol.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i checked out the beanie babies today (been sidetracked by everything else the past few days).

looking good for the most part. :) i'm not sure i will replant anything other than limas because in the past i find that i often plant too close anyways so having some extra room here or there won't hurt any of the plants.

so far groundhogs and rabbits have been kept out of the fenced area so the plants in there are doing ok. only a few strange happenings (perhaps a small deer got their head through the side and trimmed a few leaves or some other creature, but they did not eat the leaves they just left them laying there on the ground... hmmm...) chipmunks may be the culprits for some of the other beans that were nibbled on. they seem to go after only certain kinds of beans (the fresh eating ones).

sunshine and warmth for a few days now this week, that will help the plants get further along. some are getting tall enough to start me thinking about them needing sticks to climb along (to get them to the fence). last year i used some taller lily sticks that worked but they did not stay leaning against the fence very well so this year i will tie them up and save myself the hassle. next year i may just get some more fence and t-bars and use that instead...

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
, but they did not eat the leaves they just left them laying there on the ground.....

My first thought would be cutworms, some varieties do that. Have you tried digging around the plant to check for them? When I was talking to the plant guy at the extension office he said beetles could do that but I didn't ask which beetles. When I applied a pesticide that activity stopped.

I suppose rats could do that (hard to fence rats out) but the one time I could identify the culprit as a rat (she died) she would eat a couple of plants to the ground each night, starting at the end of the row nearest the hiding place and just working her way down. Of course it could be something else but why would a rodent bite off a leaf and drop it? Then do it again? If they are not going to eat them why spend the energy and time to bite them off and drop them? I'm sure they could, sometimes they just seem to enjoy being destructive. But my first thoughts go to the insect world.

Latest posts