2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #16

Marico - Semi Runner - Dry

From Marico county South Africa. I obtained this bean from Will Bonsall of Industry, Maine in the days when he was still making listings in the Seed Savers Exchange yearbook. It's very productive and did wonderfully well this year. I got some interesting off type beans from it this year also. Photos 2,3 and 4 Very pretty ones too. Total Seed Harvest: 23.50 ounces (666 grams)

Marico.JPG

Marico - Semi Runner, Dry

Draper's Glen.JPG

Marico Off Type #1

Marico Blue Black.jpg

Marico Off Type #2

Marico Lavender #2.jpg

Marico Off Type #3

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Menomenee - Semi Runner, Dry

A bean that I discovered in my Capron, Illinois gardens in 1979. The last couple of years it's been putting out a lot of off type seed coats. I've keep picking the Menomenee seeds and regrowing them. This bean might be easily crossed. Menomenee is about the size of a Navy bean and the same color. This year I got only one other seed coat color from it. Down from the several I've gotten in the past couple of years. I planted late this year. The bean is late itself and I left a lot of seed behind to be destroyed by our October frost Total Seed Harvest: 5.80 ounces.

Menomenee.JPG

Menomenee - Semi Runner, Dry

Menomenee OT.JPG

Menomenee Off Type

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Midnight Blue - Semi Runner

85 days to first dry pods. Blossom: pink. Productive plants produce beautiful purple 5.5 inch pods. An original bean named and introduced by Robert Lobitz through the Seed Savers Exchange yearbook in 2001. Total Seed Harvest: 10.45 ounces (296 grams)

Midnight Blue.JPG

Midnight Blue - Semi Runner

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

Marico - Semi Runner - Dry

From Marico county South Africa. I obtained this bean from Will Bonsall of Industry, Maine in the days when he was still making listings in the Seed Savers Exchange yearbook. It's very productive and did wonderfully well this year. I got some interesting off type beans from it this year also. Photos 2,3 and 4 Very pretty ones too. Total Seed Harvest: 23.50 ounces (666 grams)

View attachment 33652
Marico - Semi Runner, Dry

View attachment 33653
Marico Off Type #1

View attachment 33654
Marico Off Type #2

View attachment 33655
Marico Off Type #3

perhaps bluejay crosses?

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Penland Family refused to thrive for me this year. The foliage growth was very fine and delicate but it didn’t climb and didn’t produce anything except a couple of small flowers. I wonder whether it needs rather warm conditions to prosper?
I've grown Penland Family twice and for me it needs a really long season to produce dry seeds.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #17

Minnesota 1940's - Semi Runner - Dry

I acquired this bean in 2012 from Heritage Harvest Seeds in Canada when they were still shipping seeds to the U.S. The last couple of years the bean has been producing quite a bit of off type seeds. I just keep picking out the 1940's looking beans and planting them. I was delightfully surprised this year when I didn't find any off type beans in the entire crop. Total Seed Harvest: 8.40 ounces (238 grams).

Minnesota 1940's.JPG

Minnesota 1940's - Semi Runner, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #17

Minnesota Beauty - Bush, Dry

This bean is the product of the Robert Lobitz Legacy beans that I was gifted from a SSE member from Hartford, Kansas in 2015. After growing this bean out for several years and not finding any off type seeds. I gave it this name in honor of the state which Robert was born and lived his life. This produtive bean produced 15.55 ounces (440 grams) of seed from 10 plants.

Minnesota Beauty.JPG

Minnesota Beauty - Bush, Dry

Latest posts