2020 Little Easy Bean Network - An Exciting Adventure In Heirloom Beans !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Come on over to the Random Rambling subforum.

Aftermidnight Annette's husband has posted about how his wife (of 64 years ;)) is doing.

Jim may be back soon. Send Annette a message if you'd like. You can do that on the "How Ya Doin?" thread on Random Ramblings.

Steve

thanks for the heads-up, i would have seen it eventually, but still nice to be in-the-loop :)

@Bluejay77 and others will see this here eventually. i'm not sure @Carol Dee will see this there or here, but now she's been tagged she might. :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Come on over to the Random Rambling subforum.

@digitS' What is a subforum? I got on Random Ramblings and could not find any post by Annette's husband. Could not find How Ya Doin. Everything I click on the page just took me back to the top of the page. I saw stuff about the Moon, Mason Bees, Old blue Eyes but nothing about Annette. What am I doing wrong on Random Ramblings? I felt truly in the Twilight Zone.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pleasant Valley site planted Saturday with pole beans. Gave the seed a watering right after planting and on Monday. The weather over the weekend was very warm near 90 each day. Planted a row of Zinnias too right along the edge of the wood on the width side both north and south. Got 1.2 inches of rain Tuesday night and .3 of an inch yesterday Wednesday. Today I just decided to check on the plot and Wow ! If you every have drainage problem a raised bed really seems to work. I got beans coming up all over this plot. Nothing like the last two times I planted at this site when 2/3 of my seed rotted away. Took a couple of photos.

Weatherwise all I got in northern Illinois where I live was a little bit of the outer bands from the remains of Christobal that wound up going through eastern Iowa. Most of the storm stayed west of the Mississippi. Then turned north east went through Wisconsin across Lake Michigan and into Michigan.

Aubrey Deane - Lima......................................Black Turkey - An outcross of Turkey Craw From A grower .......................................................................New Zealand. This is what I named this bean.

Aubrey Deane.jpg Black Turkey.jpg

Ping Zebra - Lima................................................Shantyboat - Lima
Ping Zebra.jpg Shantyboat.jpg

Zebra - Got This bean from Tricia 77............Zinnias - They are really popping up
Zebra.jpg Zinnia 2.jpg

Last edited:

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The first pods from beans that grow in pots in my home. With the exception of Alice Sunshine, these are Polish local varieties from seeds from the gene bank, which I sowed to check the type of growth. No one will remember the catalog numbers, so they got the names of the places where the seeds were collected.

View attachment 35695

Top l-r: Uzranki, Alice Sunshine, Sidun
l-r: Goleszów / Goleshoof, Wiślica / Vislitsa

I shelled these pods.

Użranki - half runner
Użranki.jpg

Alice Sunshine - bush
Alice Sunshine.jpg

Goleszów / Goleshoof
- bush
Goleszów.jpg

Sidun
- bush
Sidun.jpg

Wiślica / Vislitsa
- bush
Wiślica.jpg

I corrected the first photo.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 yes, we got hammered pretty good by those storms Wed, and even though the original forecast didn't have any rain in the forecast for the rest of the week we had a rapid squall line come through yesterday evening.

from the Wed storm one of the gardens that Mom planted for me she didn't plant the beans deep at all so when i was walking by i saw all these beans right on the surface so i had to scrape a bit of dirt over them, i'm not sure it will grow all that well or not, but that was all the rescue i could do there yesterday as i was in the middle of too many other things and this is a tiny garden outside the fence so i don't have huge expectations for that spot anyways. i do usually get some returns, but it varies depending upon how much the tips get eaten by groundhogs, deer, rabbits, etc.

oh and while i'm talking of seeds and sprouts, i've had a few plants this year where the sprout's leaves were trapped under the ground so i have seen this loop of the sprout stem on the surface and had to tease out the leaves gently so they could start growing upright. i should have gotten a picture... this can happen in clay if it gets crusty/compacted a bit more than is good. normally as i am watering the seeds as they are sprouting i can see the lumps in the seed drill line as the seeds are sprouting and watering and rains will help get the seedling out of the ground and growing upright, but perhaps these were a bit deeper than the others so the leaves couldn't quite get out. not exactly sure but that is my hypothesis. anyways, as i water i sometimes will direct the stream from the hose a bit to blast that little bit of clay cap off a seedling so it can come up easier.

no signs of the early adzuki beans yet, they were so tiny seeds perhaps they can't get out at all.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Loved reading of what you all are up to and seeing beans! This is my bean list of what I'm growing this year, got almost all planted. Tomorrow I plan to get the last ones in, the first ones are up. Planted 9 kinds for fresh eating, the rest are for seeds.
(P) = pole
(B) = bush
OC = outcross

Aeron Purple Star (P)
Australische stokbonen (P) Don’t know the real name, found these in the shed at the garden, left by a previous gardener. This name was written on the wooden sigar box they were in, it means Australian polebeans.
Blaue Meerbarbe (P)

Bumble Bee (B)
Canellino Rosso (B)
Coco Noir / Coco Black (B)
Coffee Diamonds (P) several outcrosses of King of the Blue, year 2 of growing them, about 9 different seed coats
Conserva / Conserva z.dr. / Konserva o.f. (B)
Couvent Vogel (P)
Couvent Vogel OC (P) Had a bright red pod last year
Edogave (B)
Fasold (P)
Gila River (P)
Golden teepee (B)
Great Lakes Special (B)
Helda (P)
Hofflants Mole (B) OC from Lourdes
King of the Blue (P)
King of the Blue OC (P)
Leuvense snijboon / Haricot de Louvain (P)
Merveille de Piedmonte OC F1 (P?)
Mungbeans (B?)
Neckarkönigin (P)
Naaldboon OC’s (B) several outcrosses year 2 of growing them, about 10 different seed coats
Prelude (B)
Pronkboon (P)
Purple Queen OC (P) Found this one last year and wanted to climb and still had purple pods but black seeds
Rio Zape (P)
Rio Zape OC F1 (P)
Rose Bean (B)
Saxa (B)
Sarah’s old Fashioned Black (P)
Stephanosch (B) half pole
Tennessee Wonder (P)

sounds like some interesting and great projects there! :)

as of yet, with my limited experience of the pale pole beans that are purple podded is that they do eventually give off a black seeded variant.

for the Rose bean can you describe it? i have one named Rose which is a pole bean and not a bush bean. but it just may be a common name too... :)

i have not done up a list yet, but i will eventually as it gives me a good idea what projects i'm working on and for the history.

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77
Russ, I see you are watering your beans twice, once at planting and a second time a few days later. Could you explain how many days are between watering? I have always learned to water only once, at planting and then to wait till they come up before watering again. Because too much water can cause rot. Some of my planted beans got a lot of rain 3-4 days after planting but they are still coming up now.

@flowerbug
The King Of The Blue has purple pods and light brown seeds. I will add photos of them and of the Rose Bean.

Edit: Oh boy seems like I got it mixed up in my administration, Rose Bean IS a pole bean! Better give them some bamboo!

King Of The Blue
20200612_143528.jpg

Rose Bean
20200612_143505.jpg

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77
Russ, I see you are watering your beans twice, once at planting and a second time a few days later. Could you explain how many days are between watering? I have always learned to water only once, at planting and then to wait till they come up before watering again. Because too much water can cause rot. Some of my planted beans got a lot of rain 3-4 days after planting but they are still coming up now.

@flowerbug
The King Of The Blue has purple pods and light brown seeds. I will add photos of them and of the Rose Bean.

Edit: Oh boy seems like I got it mixed up in my administration, Rose Bean IS a pole bean! Better give them some bamboo!

King Of The Blue
View attachment 35895
Rose Bean
View attachment 35896

yes, those are the same pattern that i have for the pole beans, i have not yet grown them and the samples i have may be old, but some year i will give them a try. so will be interested in how they end up doing for you there. :)

as far as watering goes, i water two or three times a day, but as light as i can. i don't have too much rot problem because it is usually pretty warm by the time i plant. i have more issues with the soil crusting over due to a lot of clay content. but i also have some very sandy soil in a few places, if i only watered them once when planting they'd dry out completely if we don't get some rains. we've had rains the past few days, so no watering needed today, but i will check later today for frozen/capped beans struggling to get out of the clay...

once the beans are up and growing i can back off on watering to once every two or three days depending upon how hot it gets and how much wind. they're not protected from winds in the gardens out back so it can get dry. i know that clay can hold moisture pretty well, but once it gets dry the ground cracks and shrinks so i like to keep it more evenly moist to protect against that if i can help it. yes, mulch and organic material all helps for this, but i never have enough mulch or organic materials here...

Latest posts