2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once found a black bean in my searches that was smaller than Falcon (about half the size) but unfortunately it didn't come up when planted.

And if you can spare them, I'd love a few of both the off types (I'm already growing the regular Falcon from what you sent me before) These smaller beans tend to do better for me.
I can spare them. I don't plan on growing the Falcon off types. I'll send you some of both. I still have your address.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Draper's Glen off type #2 is one pretty bean!
It definitely is a pretty bean. Do you want to grow them? I don't know how long it will be before I get around to growing them if at all. They might sit in my freezer for 5 years. I shelled some out in my hand while in the bean patch where they had grown. I wasn't going to save them but then I thought.......ya I should save some of them.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It definitely is a pretty bean. Do you want to grow them? I don't know how long it will be before I get around to growing them if at all. They might sit in my freezer for 5 years. I shelled some out in my hand while in the bean patch where they had grown. I wasn't going to save them but then I thought.......ya I should save some of them.

i save everything if it actually makes it inside and it gets shelled out. i have segregations in little containers in boxes, some of those contain just one or two beans. some have labels and others don't. most may never get planted again, but i like the record of them as to what i've already seen along the ways.

this year when shelling i had so many rejects that all became worm food - about 10lbs of beans went into the worm buckets the past few months. wow do those beans smell when they're buried down deep and they start to ferment but the worms are all around and in them so you know they're doing what they're supposed to do :) in the past i was saving and cooking up some of the better rejects but this year i decided to give the worms an extra bonus for all their good work and it was a good choice because the worm buckets are coming along really well. stinky, but well... :)

i'll put a p.s. note here, the buckets don't normally stink, i only smell anything when i dig down in to bury something. then is when i can smell the beans fermenting. the rest of the time you don't even know they're there other than them taking up space...

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
i save everything if it actually makes it inside and it gets shelled out. i have segregations in little containers in boxes, some of those contain just one or two beans. some have labels and others don't. most may never get planted again, but i like the record of them as to what i've already seen along the ways.
Yes that is a system. If you like it and are comfortable with it, go with it. I use the weeded out beans to eat. I have the photos of everything I grew each year and the photos don't darken. Plus I have names on all the photos as to what varieties they came from. Many of them are also in the freezer. I can revive them again.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

I would love to grow them!

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77

Russ,
I was piddling around today trying to find information on your Marico bean that you grew out in 2019 from where your Draper’s Glen came from. That is if I understood you correctly.

After some more searching, I found your Marico grow out in the 2019 thread. And Also another post from this year I think where @heirloomgal asked you about Draper’s Glen.

Just so I can keep some history, how did you come to name Draper’s Glen?

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was piddling around today trying to find information on your Marico bean that you grew out in 2019 from where your Draper’s Glen came from. That is if I understood you correctly.

After some more searching, I found your Marico grow out in the 2019 thread.

Just so I can keep some history, how did you come to name Draper’s Glen?

So we have in the country where I live some small scattered housing developments. Some have been there for 40 years. I was looking at a map of all the streets and roads in the county one day and ran across a road named Draper road, and we have also North Draper road, south Draper Road. It's in an area that is well wooded and the area is also called Bull Valley. Some areas where the roads have some pretty good up and down grades. Low valley spots in the area. A glen is a narrow valley. Well I didn't like the sound of naming a bean draper road bean or even just Draper. Draper's Glen just popped into my head in the course of thinking about the Bull Valley area. I said to myself "that sounds really neat". "That is a bean name for sure". That's how it happened. Local names, sometimes you can fiddle with a name and embelish them a little.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes that is a system. If you like it and are comfortable with it, go with it. I use the weeded out beans to eat. I have the photos of everything I grew each year and the photos don't darken. Plus I have names on all the photos as to what varieties they came from. Many of them are also in the freezer. I can revive them again.

some day i'll have some freezer space but i don't know when that will happen.

Latest posts