2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bluejay77's Big Bean Show
Day 13 - The Beans I Grew This Summer

Giele Waldbeantsje- Bush Dry

Acquired from a bean grower in the Netherlands. Also known as a Friesian heirloom from a region called Freisland. Also known in the Netherlands as the Yellow Forest Bean. Not all of this years beans turned such a yellow color as they usually do, but some seemed rather a very light cream tan. Could be the weather or soil this year.

Bear Lake Trout - Bush Dry

One of the many segregations from the Robert Lobitz beans that were left after his death in 2006. Unamed beans with just Robert's code numbers and letters. I acquired these beans from a fellow in Hartford, Kansas who started growing them in 2008 and didn't feel he making any progress with them. He got frustrated enough with them that he gave me the entire lot of what he had grown along some orignal seed of Roberts in 2015. This bean I believe has become stable. I have been naming these beans that I refer to them as Lobitz legacy beans. The same way that Robert had named his beans while he was living. Using names of towns, counties, rivers, creeks, lakes and other geological landmarks in his home state of Minnesota. Upon harvesting this beans new seed it is very white and it has taken up to about now for the beans coloration to cure to this point. I'll have allow some to cure for a long time at room temperature to see how deep the color of this bean can get.

giele waldbeantsje.jpgbear lake trout.jpg
Giele Waldbeantsje......................................................Bear Lake Trout

Golden Valley - Bush Dry

Approximately 85 days to first dry pods. A Robert Lobitz orignal named bean. He first released this bean to the public through the Seed Savers Exchange yearbook in the early 2000's. Productive plants grow to about 18 inches in height. 6 inch solid green pods average 5 seeds per pod.

Grandma's Shell - Bush Dry

Productive red horticultural variety grows without runners. Large plump oval dark red seed mottled with light tan. Dries pods a little later than most early dry bean types. My first encounter with this bean was from John Withee's Wanigan Associates bean network in the late 1970's. John listed his source for the bean in his bean collection notes as June Bester of Butler, Pennsylvania.

golden valley.jpggrandma's shell.jpg
Golden Valley....................................................................Grandma's Shell

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dad has sprouts! from the beans i sent him a few weeks ago. he tried to send me pictures on the phone but our phone doesn't do that, so i asked my step-sister to see if she could send them through his computer to my e-mail address instead. might be a bit too much of a challenge. i also reminded them of the website and asked her to see if she could hook his computer up to the tv so they could see the pictures in a bigger format than a laptop.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dad has sprouts! from the beans i sent him a few weeks ago. he tried to send me pictures on the phone but our phone doesn't do that, so i asked my step-sister to see if she could send them through his computer to my e-mail address instead. might be a bit too much of a challenge. i also reminded them of the website and asked her to see if she could hook his computer up to the tv so they could see the pictures in a bigger format than a laptop.
That's really neat. Your dad will proably start harvesting dry seed in late February and on into March.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's really neat. Your dad will proably start harvesting dry seed in late February and on into March.

i mentioned to him that if he leaves a few pods on each plant to fully ripen and dry then he'll have plenty of seeds for the future, but i also said that if he kept planting new ones every three weeks or so it would be fun to see how long he can get them to survive into the summer. the problem is that he doesn't have a lot of space so it may be him giving seeds to others and experiments as to how long he can go with them. we'll see what happens. :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So we have in the country where I live some small scattered housing developments. Some have been there for 40 years. I was looking at a map of all the streets and roads in the county one day and ran across a road named Draper road, and we have also North Draper road, south Draper Road. It's in an area that is well wooded and the area is also called Bull Valley. Some areas where the roads have some pretty good up and down grades. Low valley spots in the area. A glen is a narrow valley. Well I didn't like the sound of naming a bean draper road bean or even just Draper. Draper's Glen just popped into my head in the course of thinking about the Bull Valley area. I said to myself "that sounds really neat". "That is a bean name for sure". That's how it happened. Local names, sometimes you can fiddle with a name and embelish them a little.
As you know I'm fond of that beans' name and look; the name instantly made me think of dark walnut wood furnishings, sophisticated plaid scarves from a men's only clothing store, Old Spice and Tom Selleck. Maybe Aristotle Onassis had a tailor's room on his enormous superyacht way back in the day, and above the door was a sign that read ' Draper's Glen'. (I just googled what a draper is and I learned it means one who sells cloth or creates garments....)

Interestingly, that yacht was originally a Canadian anti-submarine frigate.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So we have in the country where I live some small scattered housing developments. Some have been there for 40 years. I was looking at a map of all the streets and roads in the county one day and ran across a road named Draper road, and we have also North Draper road, south Draper Road. It's in an area that is well wooded and the area is also called Bull Valley. Some areas where the roads have some pretty good up and down grades. Low valley spots in the area. A glen is a narrow valley. Well I didn't like the sound of naming a bean draper road bean or even just Draper. Draper's Glen just popped into my head in the course of thinking about the Bull Valley area. I said to myself "that sounds really neat". "That is a bean name for sure". That's how it happened. Local names, sometimes you can fiddle with a name and embelish them a little.
That was a nifty way to name that bean. I would have never guessed how you came to name it. Love getting history on seeds!

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Triffid
That’s a bean a friend gave me several years ago. She lives in Lebanon Tennessee. It was found growing in her garden around 12 years ago. That’s about the only history I have on it. I call it Hoteko.

I have another bean that’s similar that I got off eBay a couple years back. The guy couldn’t tell me much about it either. Both beans are similar, but they are different. I bought that eBay bean because the pictures look so similar, well you know how us bean collectors are.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bluejay77's Big Bean Show
Day 14 - The Beans I Grew This Summer

Hashuli - Pole Dry

The variety was purchased in a market in Tbilisi, Georgia by American seed and plant collector Joseph Simcox (The Botanical Explorer). The seller had told Joseph that the bean came from a village called Hashuli hence the name. The bean is a very uncommon form even for Georgia. I acquired the bean in 2015.

Heiling's - Bush Dry

Perhaps you remember this story from another time I've told it. I discovered this bean growing in my brothers garden in Browerville, Minnestota in 1978. When I arrived in the late summer his entire crop of this bean was dry, and pods were crisp and ready to shell. I shelled them all out for him and his wife. I got a sample of them to take back home as they looked so beautiful round and seemed large. He had great drying weather that summer. There was not a single spoilage mark on any of the pods I shelled. The beans actually came from his neighbor across the road (Kate Heiling). I asked her what they were called but all she could tell me was she bought them out of a seed catalog probably back in 1973. So I gave the beans her last name and Kates beans are still with me today 43 years later.

hashuli 2.jpgheiling's.jpg
Hahsuli...................................................................................Heilings

Heilings Off Types - Bush

Discovered two off type seeds in Heilings this summer neither of them will be grown.

heiling's black OT.jpgheiling's mottle OT.jpg
Heilings off type 1..............................................................................Heilings off type 2

Hemelvaartboontje - Pole Dry

A gift from a gardener in Germany to my Austrian bean friend in Liebenfels, and then gifted to me. I read somewhere that this bean has been known and grown in Australia for over a century. I didn't get a very good crop of beans from it this year. The quality and quantity was very low.

Horn Speckled - Pole Lima

This bean had been traded among the Seed Savers Exchange membership during the 1980's. I had even grown it back then. Produces copious amounts of small pods and it has small plump seeds. This summer it grew in the same plot where some of my other pole beans either struggled or didn't grow at all. Horn Specked really produced lots of beans and grew like nothing was wrong at all.

hemelvaartboontje.jpghorn speckled.jpg
Hemelvaartboontje.............................................................................Horn Speckled

Latest posts