2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@flowerbug, is Red Ryder a bush bean or a semi runner? Which one to leave for the future? I separated the seeds just in case. Their color and shape are the same.

I collected the first dry pods from the Spotted Pheasant plant that grew as a pole. In a few days I will shell them and see what the seeds look like. It will be long days :)

DSCN9641.jpg

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One of our favorite new beans from last year was Viola. We decided to put in a larger planting this year and they are doing very well. As last year, the plants have a heavy set of beans. The pods seem a little bigger this year, though. As I mentioned before, these are surprisingly good as a fresh bean.

39DDF3DB-9432-4B31-ADFD-73AD44D1FBBD.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some treasures from the community garden plot I use for trials. These plants have decent soil but otherwise everything is working against them - hot weather, all the bugs at either end of the season, crazy weeds, etc. It's a great spot to see what a variety can handle.

First, Jacob's Cattle pulled out of some tall grass - I think I may have missed the optimum harvest window. ;-)

View attachment 51513

those would be average looking bean pods for me. it is rare i have really clean pods. last year was one of the cleanest harvests i'd ever had. like five large brown grocery paper bags full of near perfect pods. and then of course a few bags of more beaten up or splotchy ones and then those pods which i shell first because the beans may be rotting and i want to rescue some of them before they also get infected.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug, is Red Ryder a bush bean or a semi runner? Which one to leave for the future? I separated the seeds just in case. Their color and shape are the same.

Red Ryder were sold to me as a bush bean so i would go with those as the main effort and name. Red Ryder Runner could be another line. of course i grow many semi-runner beans here so there is a good chance some genes have wandered. i've also tried to get a few crosses to happen intentionally and as you see with Huey the results are usually interesting. :)

I collected the first dry pods from the Spotted Pheasant plant that grew as a pole. In a few days I will shell them and see what the seeds look like. It will be long days :)

View attachment 51517

your beans always look so nice there! :) lovely pods.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of our favorite new beans from last year was Viola. We decided to put in a larger planting this year and they are doing very well. As last year, the plants have a heavy set of beans. The pods seem a little bigger this year, though. As I mentioned before, these are surprisingly good as a fresh bean.

View attachment 51531

i'm doing a comparison grow out of many Lobitz purple beans this season and i did grow Viola. looks like yours. :)

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
those would be average looking bean pods for me. it is rare i have really clean pods. last year was one of the cleanest harvests i'd ever had. like five large brown grocery paper bags full of near perfect pods. and then of course a few bags of more beaten up or splotchy ones and then those pods which i shell first because the beans may be rotting and i want to rescue some of them before they also get infected.
If I pick everything at once there's always some fuzzy pods near the bottom of the plant, but if I keep up with picking them as they ripen they stay pretty clean. I'm not very good at picking bush beans in waves. The beans inside these pods were perfect looking. I suspect the pods had some extra splotchy bits because they were buried in tall grass that holds the moisture in.

The hardest thing for me is that I tend to pick at least 60-70% of my beans after a frost, and before the pods are completely dry. The beans are fine if I get them out of the shells quickly but they're super prone to mold at that stage.

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@Bluejay77
I may have an Evening Moon bean offtype. There is one plant that has grown tall, has purple flecked pods and makes this very nice looking blue-cranberryish bean. The other plants are much later maturing so far than this blue one, and the blue one has some dry beans already vs the real evening moon 95% are still very swelled in the pods and solid white. It seems to be a pole rather then the evening moons semi runner type? Is this blue bean the original form that evening moon was derived from?

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@Bluejay77
I may have an Evening Moon bean offtype. There is one plant that has grown tall, has purple flecked pods and makes this very nice looking blue-cranberryish bean. The other plants are much later maturing so far than this blue one, and the blue one has some dry beans already vs the real evening moon 95% are still very swelled in the pods and solid white. It seems to be a pole rather then the evening moons semi runner type? Is this blue bean the original form that evening moon was derived from?

Attachments

• 0821222046.jpg
    0821222046.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 56

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

i forgot to ask if you noticed anything different about the pods? like were some more easy to shell than the others, or more pink color or lighter weight pods (even if the beans are the same size)?

i have noticed some differences in the past and done segregations, but my plantings of those this year may not be giving me any results and i'll have to try again next year.

Latest posts