2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think @bluejay that this Tamila bean came from your collection originally, as I got it from Mandy. I've enjoyed growing this bean since the first year I ever grew it, which was either 2016 or 2017. It was one of those first ones that 'hooked' me on heirloom beans. It seems to do well under any and all circumstances, and the beans seem to never be malformed. And I do like pink. 😊 It's name also contains part of my own, so I feel a kinship with it. :hugs

Tamila, short pole/semi-runner
20220823_184136.jpg
20220823_184333.jpg

Mrs. Fortune
Lovely bean variety! Wonderful pod set, healthy robust vines and beans are all well formed so far. A keeper!
20220823_185050.jpg
20220823_185456.jpg

Ugandan Bantu
Well, I don't recall any of the beans from my pack looking like this.... but it is a mixed bag variety. It looked very, very dark purple in the sunshine. I only noticed after posting this picture that there are 'black tips' on a couple of the bean edges? Unless those are shadows? Huh. Sort of an interesting surprise.
20220823_190758.jpg
20220823_190817.jpg

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think @bluejay that this Tamila bean came from your collection originally, as I got it from Mandy. I've enjoyed growing this bean since the first year I ever grew it, which was either 2016 or 2017. It was one of those first ones that 'hooked' me on heirloom beans. It seems to do well under any and all circumstances, and the beans seem to never be malformed. And I do like pink. 😊 It's name also contains part of my own, so I feel a kinship with it. :hugs

Tamila, short pole/semi-runner

View attachment 51581View attachment 51579
I tried looking for all the orders from Mandy that I may have had all the way back to 2013 and could not find that she got the bean from me. I think she probably acquired Tamila from Adaptive Seeds owned and operated by Andrew Still.

The bean does well for me and it is so pretty. I got my start of the baan from a Bruce Van Order in the state of New York. He was a former seed Savers Exchange member no longer active. I also got a couple of tomato varieties from Bruce before he disappeared from SSE. Large yellow tomats about 8 to 10 oz in size.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had a near disaster with one of my beans. I've been using a weed burner this year, to clear weeds from the fence. It has been a major time saver, to keep grass & weeds from creeping in. I burned all of the fence lines this year easily, with no problems.

Well, enough had grown back that I burned the fence lines again. But I had mowed the grass a couple days earlier; and in some places, dry grass had piled against the fence. When I burned the fence line next to the "Atlas" bush beans, some of the burning grass jumped through the fence - and into my mulch. :ep The mulch was dry, and caught immediately. I always have a charged hose when burning anything, but it was across the yard... and by the time I got the hose, half of the row had been scorched.
20220821_131323.jpg

Fortunately, on both ends of the row, about 10 plants survived... and have a good pod set:
20220823_165407.jpg

Last edited:

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I’m enjoying several of the network beans I’m growing this year.

Lilashecke is a delight. It’s producing plentiful light yellow arced beans, good for eating as snap. It’s a little more yellow than the photo suggests

FBF7F313-108B-4E9D-97CC-544F2C4FC351.jpeg

Another one is Dow Purple Pod which raced to the tops of the canes early on but then proved not be particularly vigorous or early in its bean production as time went on. Now though it’s notable for the length of its purple pods. I haven’t measured them but I guess they’re about 8 inches.

8D8FDBA4-686E-443D-9858-8BBFF8DB2F42.jpeg

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You know how some varieties throw reversals? When it comes to increasing their seed, do you plant reversals too... or is it better to only plant 'normal' colored seeds?
I plant some of everything and don't find that it matters. I tried selecting for reversals in my Turtle Peas once because the whole plant is prettier, and the resulting growout was not noticeably different. I'm nearly convinced that it's environmental.

This variety has a TON of beans with flipped color schemes some years and almost none this time.

2022-08-21 21.15.52.jpg

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You know how some varieties throw reversals? When it comes to increasing their seed, do you plant reversals too... or is it better to only plant 'normal' colored seeds?
I planted all reversals this year of a Brightstone bean a white abd blue flecked bush bean, there were almost no reversals harvested this year for whatever reason idk.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted all reversals this year of a Brightstone bean a white abd blue flecked bush bean, there were almost no reversals harvested this year for whatever reason idk.
Ha! It is Brightstone that caused the question! 😄

I just received them in an order from Adaptive. I'd seen your comments about Brightstone and Early Warwick.

Latest posts