2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77
I may have an Evening Moon bean offtype. There is one plant that has grown tall, has purple flecked pods and makes this very nice looking blue-cranberryish bean. The other plants are much later maturing so far than this blue one, and the blue one has some dry beans already vs the real evening moon 95% are still very swelled in the pods and solid white. It seems to be a pole rather then the evening moons semi runner type? Is this blue bean the original form that evening moon was derived from?
Evening moon was not derived from a purple podded bean. The last time I grew Evening Moon was 2013 and there were also no purple podded beans growing in the same plot.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
these were from the same plant just different pods, harvested about four days apart. i haven't named it yet. i have plenty of seeds and depending upon how they turn out this year in the gardens i hope i will have even more to fondle.

DSC_20220818_114135-0400_1710_Color_Diff_thm.jpg

Big Size Version

ok, i finally had some time and the gumption to check on the dry bean situation today.

most of what i could pick were the beans from the Purple Dove that i'd planted way back. some of the plants were still blooming and putting on new pods but i pulled them all anyways as i needed air flow for some neighboring plants.

i also checked the rest of my bean gardens to see what was coming along and getting close.

the pictured above beans that i direct sowed into a garden on June 5th had pods ready to pick so they probably had first dry beans ready by Aug 10-15th. semi-runner and fresher pods in places up further, but i like that these are early (that's another item on my checklist for a good bean besides size, shape, pattern, early). so i now have about two dozen pods sitting out front in the sun and breeze to finish up drying after the recent few days of rains. pods in excellent condition considering. 65-70 days is excellent. again the color of the beans are all over the place from the yellows, oranges and reds. prettiest i like the reds the best. when first coming out of the shell before they are fully dry they are a great color of pink. :)

i also found a few Black Coco, and some Sunrise (a pink version of Sunset).

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One thing I will say about bean transplants - if it's a variety where getting back seed is paramount, say if you have very few seeds left of a variety, transplants really work. Nearly all the pods I've collected so far this year are from transplants. It increases (though doesn't guarantee) the liklihood of getting seeds back because you skip the two most precarious times in the season, the first few weeks after planting and the last stretch before frost when there is risk of rot or mould from fall rains. Many of my direct sown beans still have a ways to go. It's not a perfect method, but it's got some perks. It's also a giant pain in the rear. I think next year I might do everything 50/50, half i'll put in as transplants the other half direct sown. Well see when this season is complete how things ultimately turn out.

Collected some more dried pods this afternoon. Some poles are really starting to dry up their pods. Yay! Like @Artorius says...long days of waiting! 😁

Lippoldsberger
Looks like this bean will be productive. It is covered in what I call 'necklace pods', where the beans are really visible in the pods like a string of pearls. Perfect little white beans. I really like this one.
20220822_163527.jpg
20220822_163455.jpg

Schwarze Dalmatian
The only plant with fully dried pods was my one transplant. The rest have awhile yet. Hope they make it through, because it's such a lovely bean.
20220822_163140.jpg

Gill''s Delicious Giant
It's like the entire pole is maturing nearly all at the same time! Very long pods full of seeds. Bet this makes a great fresh bean.
20220822_162729.jpg
20220822_162407.jpg

Brejo
Bad year for this guy. Plants got stunted early on and didn't grow well, nor produce well. Still, I will have much more seed for next year than I started with. Sidenote - it is remarkable how quickly this bean darkens in colour. The dry pod from last week and today's shelled pod had a marked difference in background colour.
20220822_162135.jpg

Papa De Roja
20220822_164232.jpg
20220822_164354.jpg

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i forgot to ask if you noticed anything different about the pods? like were some more easy to shell than the others, or more pink color or lighter weight pods (even if the beans are the same size)?

i have noticed some differences in the past and done segregations, but my plantings of those this year may not be giving me any results and i'll have to try again next year.

@flowerbug, the color of the Red Ryder pods is the same in both versions. As they mature, they become slightly red. I think the pods of the semi runner are flatter and a bit wider. I will take a closer look at it. It is a fertile bean, and there are still a lot of pods to collect.

My bean friend from Belgium wrote to me. In the winter, I sent him Huey and Lemon Slice seeds and he is very pleased with the harvest. He asks what the name Huey actually means :) I am also curious.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug, the color of the Red Ryder pods is the same in both versions. As they mature, they become slightly red. I think the pods of the semi runner are flatter and a bit wider. I will take a closer look at it. It is a fertile bean, and there are still a lot of pods to collect.

it has been a fairly reliable bean here, a few issues at times with weather when the extremes show up, but as a general small red bean it's done better than all others i've tried to grow. but more importantly it is the bush traits and the earlyness that i appreciate the most. the pods having some color is a bonus. :)

My bean friend from Belgium wrote to me. In the winter, I sent him Huey and Lemon Slice seeds and he is very pleased with the harvest. He asks what the name Huey actually means :) I am also curious.

i have mentioned it before and i think it is on my webpage for beans but the inspiration came from the fact that we've always liked the comedy show Seinfeld and there is an episode where Jerry is trying to set up George with someone he knows:

(wow that's 30yrs old this year! time goes by so quickly! :) )

the phrase in there where George asks
"Is there a pinkish hue?" has become a standard funny line for us around here, when the morning or evening clouds come around or other things in passing.

since the bean does have a pinkish hue in the background lighter part of the bean pattern and more red around the eye the name came right to me when i was trying to come up with one for it. now in retrospect the bean also has a nice cheek and eyebrows... :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
the phrase in there where George asks
"Is there a pinkish hue?" has become a standard funny line for us around here, when the morning or evening clouds come around or other things in passing.
My first thought with "Huey" was Huey Long, a Louisiana politician that was a rival of Franklin D Roosevelt. FDR won. Or maybe one of Donald Duck's nephews. But then I saw you named it yourself. I think it is nice when you know why a bean was named. It just gives you a connection.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Serenity now? There has to be a serenity bean!
There almost was. When growing out some crosses from the Will Bonsall beans for Russ I got a flat black bean, it looked like pewter or some kind of metallic. Really weird looking. I was trying to come up with a name for it but couldn't. Nothing seemed to fit. When I sent it to Russ he mentioned he had never seen one quite like that.

I was getting a little stressed trying to come up with a name and eventually realized it's not worth it. If you have something like that bothering you, just make a decision and get over it. So I named it Tranquility. It's on page 10 of Russ's bean site. Serenity was also under consideration. I realized as soon as I made the decision the stress went away. it is a very calming feeling.

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There almost was. When growing out some crosses from the Will Bonsall beans for Russ I got a flat black bean, it looked like pewter or some kind of metallic. Really weird looking. I was trying to come up with a name for it but couldn't. Nothing seemed to fit. When I sent it to Russ he mentioned he had never seen one quite like that.

I was getting a little stressed trying to come up with a name and eventually realized it's not worth it. If you have something like that bothering you, just make a decision and get over it. So I named it Tranquility. It's on page 10 of Russ's bean site. Serenity was also under consideration. I realized as soon as I made the decision the stress went away. it is a very calming feeling.
Awesome! I am thinking this random plant that made the purple cranberry beans in the Evening moon could be some sort of a cross. With what i have no idea but will grow it again next year and see what happens!

Latest posts