2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 5

Christmas - Pole Lima - 2022

The cultivation of the first of the large lima beans is said to have occurred in the Andes Mountains as early as 2000 B.C. The variety of limas known as Christmas Lima beans or Large Speckled Calico Beans were first cultivated in the 19th Century. They were introduced into the United States from Peru in 1840’s. These beans are generally not grown commercially. They have actually been listed as an endangered heirloom vegetable variety. Total seed produced from 4 plants 20.8 ounces (589.67 gm)

Christmas-FB.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pretry common here @Decoy1 ; Marconi Roma, in various colours of seed is always on the shelves, so is Roma II, which I think is an improved roma. Then there are lots of family heirloom Romanos like those on bluejay'so website. I grew a few of those this year- Sylvano''s, Rosa's (poles though). Jumbo Roma is a really good bush one, pods are enormous. I have one called Blue Ribbon, a rarer speckled bush Romano bean in green & purple, a wax variety called Capitano and a purple one called Sequoia, both bushes. For fresh eating, to me, almost nothing beats Romano beans. So meaty and tender.
Attractive and interesting beans.

I’ve become very interested recently in Romano type varieties but haven’t come across bush examples. I’m wondering how common bush Romano varieties are, and particularly whether there are many example in circulation of bush wax varieties.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Attractive and interesting beans.

I’ve become very interested recently in Romano type varieties but haven’t come across bush examples. I’m wondering how common bush Romano varieties are, and particularly whether there are many example in circulation of bush wax varieties.

@Decoy1,
Apart from Bis, I know three Polish bush wax beans with Romano pods: Wstęga, Tytania and Mamutina.
I also grew the Italian Supernano Giallo, but this bean grew more like a semi runner. I also have seeds of probably the Dutch variety Odir, but I have not grown it yet.

Last edited:

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pretry common here @Decoy1 ; Marconi Roma, in various colours of seed is always on the shelves, so is Roma II, which I think is an improved roma. Then there are lots of family heirloom Romanos like those on bluejay'so website. I grew a few of those this year- Sylvano''s, Rosa's (poles though). Jumbo Roma is a really good bush one, pods are enormous. I have one called Blue Ribbon, a rarer speckled bush Romano bean in green & purple, a wax variety called Capitano and a purple one called Sequoia, both bushes. For fresh eating, to me, almost nothing beats Romano beans. So meaty and tender.
Thanks. Lots to look out for. Great to have such a seductive list to work with.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 6

Coco Rubico - Bush Dry - 2022

Back in 1975 I had purchased about 10 varieties of beans from a company in New Jersey called Le Jardin Du Gourment. They imported seed I believe from Vilmorin in France. This bean was one of them that I purchased in 1975. I probably was the one who got it started circulating through the early SSE membership. It is today part of Seed Savers Exchange's bean collection. I first listed the bean through the SSE yearbook in 1979 and listed it in the 80's six more times. A productive small seeded horticultural variety. Seed produced this summer from 10 or 11 plants 16.15 ounces (457.84 gm)

Coco Rubico-FB.jpg
Coco Rubico - Bush Dry - 2022

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Cokato - Bush Dry - 2022

This is another of the many Robert Lobitz original named beans. I grew the bean in my backyard soil in 2021 and was not impressed with it's seed volume. Planted in a different location this summer and the productivity was totally different. Last year 10 plants produced 4.75 ounces of beans (134.66 gm). This year 10 or 11 plants produced 20.95 ounces of beans (593.922 gm). This bean really seems to me to be the bush verson of Robert Lobitz's "Little Brown Cat" with a darker eye patch.

Cokato-FB.jpg
Cokato - Bush - Dry - 2022

Last edited:

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
A few months ago i was nervous that the Hallados Grandos bean would be dry enough to harvest beans. After seeing @bluejay beans saved that are still green but just have bean "bumps" i now feel more comfortable with this bean. I picked many of them throughout October and have them drying now and they look terrific. I will send back many to Russ this month once they are fully dry. But by golly they were late! Later than anything else ive ever grown. For reference the hallados grandos started flowering in i believe last day august to early september, lush green foliage, very free of disease and the pods i picked most of them when they were starting to lose their green or rubbery type pods and it has worked great. So even though this bean is super late i understand now how the NY bean donor grew it she probably picked them fairly green and had them dry indoors. Will try them in bean soup soon!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Corn Planter - Pole Dry - 2022

I don't know if this bean is the same as another one I have called Corn Planter's Purple. Received this from native American Stephen McComber who lives in Ontario and uses a New York mailing address. Very productive bean. I wasn't happy with the quality of the seed and volume although I was able to pick for it's photo some very nice looking seeds. Will have to give the bean another try in a different location.

Corn Planter-FB.jpg
Corn Planter - Pole - 2022

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Cosmic Girl - Bush Dry - 2022

A new orginal bean that I'm working on discovered among Berry's Best in 2020. This year the bean produced six off types. I'm hoping some of these beans will stablize over the next couple of years. Seed produced from 10 plants including the off types was 19.30 ounces (547.14 gm). Off type #4 seeds look a bit longer and more kidney shaped and it's eye patch looks a bit more black than dark red. Most photos of my beans I try to take them at the same zoom level.

Cosmic Girl - FB.jpgCosmic Girl OT #1 - FB.jpg
Cosmic Girl - Bush - Dry - 2022............................Cosmic Girl Off Type #1 - Bush Dry - 2022

Cosmic Girl OT #2 - FB.jpgCosmic Girl OT #3 - FB.jpg
Cosmic Girl Of Type #2 - Bush Dry - 2022..............Cosmic Girl Off Type #3 - Bush Dry - 2022

Cosmic Girl OT #4 - FB.jpg
Cosmic Girl Off Type #4 - Bush Dry - 2022

Last edited:

Latest posts