2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 4

Bosnian - Pole Snap - 2022

I grew this bean in my backyard plot this year where bush bean grew last year. I was not impressed with the growth of those bush beans last year. To my surprise all the pole beans grown in my backyard soil gave me some of the best seed of these varieties that I have ever had. Although it's considered a snap bean I feel the best use is for a dry bean. The pods are shorter than what I would like to have for a snap bean. Total seed produced from about 8 plants 28.5 ounces (807.96 gm)

Bosnian-FB.jpg

Bosnian - Pole - Snap/Dry - 2022

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Canadian Dot Eye - Bush Dry - 2022

Grown last year with one segregation that it produced. I regrew it again and this time it did not produced any off types. It's name says something of it's origin. It's been traded through the Seed Savers Exchange yearbook since the early 80's. I would suspect it origin is of some breeding work in some prior decade. Total seed produced from 10 or 11 plants 5.1 ounces (144.58 gm)

Canadian Dot Eye-FB.jpg
Canadian Dot Eye - Bush Dry - 2022

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Cannellino Nero - Bush Dry - 2022

I acquired this Italian bean of origin from Jaanes Aalder of Groningen, Netherlands in 2015. This bean is actually from the collection of well known Italian bean grower Domenico Belisario. It's very productive and produces nice quality beans. This year was the second time I've grown the bean. Total seed produced for 10 or 11 plants 21.2 ounces (601 gm)

Cannellino Nero-FB.jpg
Cannellino Nero - Bush Dry - 2022

Last edited:

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
More beans from 2022.

Bis - bush wax, Romano type pods. Polish commercial variety introduced by the PlantiCo company, entered in the national variety register in 2005.
Over time, the spot around the eye turns brown, but freezing stops the process.

Bis 1.jpg
Bis 2.jpg

Frauenbohne - tricolor bush bean. I only had four plants, one of which grew in a pot, in a soil with a lot of peat. The seeds harvested from it had very little white color. It is visible in the photo. It seems that this bean is sensitive to the type of soil it grows in.

Frauenbohne 1.jpg
Frauenbohne 2.jpg

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks to Flowerbug's kindness, I was able to grow four of his beans this year. Here are two of them.

Red Ryder - I had 9 plants, 8 grew as a bush and one as a semi runner. The shape and color of the seeds are identical. I will leave the bush version for the future.

Red Ryder 1.jpg
Red Ryder 2.jpg

Sunset - bush bean. Very low plants, I don't know if it should be like that. Beautiful color of seeds, it is a bit distorted in the photos.

Sunset 1.jpg
Sunset 2.jpg

I'm still shelling Yed and Spotted Pheasant pods. I will show them later.

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
More beans from 2022.

Bis - bush wax, Romano type pods. Polish commercial variety introduced by the PlantiCo company, entered in the national variety register in 2005.
Over time, the spot around the eye turns brown, but freezing stops the process.

View attachment 53305
View attachment 53306

Attractive and interesting beans.

I’ve become very interested recently in Romano type varieties but haven’t come across bush examples. I’m wondering how common bush Romano varieties are, and particularly whether there are many example in circulation of bush wax varieties.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks to Flowerbug's kindness, I was able to grow four of his beans this year. Here are two of them.

:) :) :)

Red Ryder - I had 9 plants, 8 grew as a bush and one as a semi runner. The shape and color of the seeds are identical. I will leave the bush version for the future.

yes, semi-runners pop up here or there but i try to keep seeds from the plants that are bush beans.

Sunset - bush bean. Very low plants, I don't know if it should be like that. Beautiful color of seeds, it is a bit distorted in the photos.

they are not easy to get a good picture, best seen in sunlight - the orange to red color of the edges is sublime... yes, they're a low growing bean. early. a sibling called Sunrise is pink to red colored edges and similar in habit and being early.

I'm still shelling Yed and Spotted Pheasant pods. I will show them later.

Spotted Pheasant is a bit too late here to be reliable. i hardly had any good seeds from the plantings i put in this year. so few pods that i didn't want to risk any to see how edible they were as a fresh bean. will try again next season. Yed is another late bean for me too but the seed pattern is so unique i grow it once in a while to refresh the seed stock. i sent some to a friend in Texas to see how they would do there but never heard anything back on those ones so i don't know if they even planted them.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 5

Cedar Lake - Bush Dry - 2022

A Robert Lobitz bean that I had collected from Synergy Seed Exchange in 2011. I think they are located in either Oregon, or Washington. The variety is normally fairly productive but not this year. It was one of the beans that did not fair as well in one of my raised beds as it usually does while at the same time others did very well. This year was my second grow out of this bean. Grown out from seed that's been sitting in my freezer since 2014.
Total seed produced from 10 or 11 plants 10.60 ounces (300.50 gm).

Cedar Lake-FB.jpg
Cedar Lake - Bush Dry - 2022

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Centerville Special - Bush Dry - 2022

This might make for an interesting little bean story. I had ordered a Robert Lobitz bean called Kelly Lake from The Inspiration Garden Center in 2017. Located in Exeter, Tasmania. Kelly looked much like a bean with a soldier figure aroud the eye. Upon growing out the bean in 2017 I didn't get back a single seed that looked like what I received. I have since gone back to the original website and Inspiration Gardens still sells Kelly Lake and it still looks the same. I selected one of the interesting looking patterns this bean produced in 2017 and have grown it out a total of 4 times. Since I don't have what you could call Kelly Lake. I decided to claim this bean as one of my originals if it ever finally stablizes. It now has this name of Centerville, Special. Centerville was the original name of Woodstock, Illinois back in the middle 1800's. The town was built right smack dab in the center of the county. One city offical back them thought the name was rather boring and mundane. So he eventually confinced others of a name change. This certain city offical originally had come from Woodstock, Vermont. The first photo is Kelly Lake. Second photo is Centerville Special. Total seed produced from 10 or 11 plants 12.85 ounces
(364.29 gm).

Kelly Lake.jpgCenterville Special-FB.jpg

Kelly Lake - Bush Dry.................................................Centerville Special - Bush Dry - 2022

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Cherry Trout - Bush Dry - 2022

One of my original named beans from the early 1980's. First listed this bean in the Seed Saver Exchange yearbook in 1983. The bean is held in the bean collectin of Seed Savers Exchange in Decorah, Iowa. This was another bean grow out this summer that didn't grow as well in one of my raised beds that it usually does. Total seed produced from 10 or 11 plants 7.35 ounces (208.36 gm)

Cherry Trout-FB.jpg

Cherry Trout - Bush Dry - 2022

Last edited:

Latest posts