2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Do you get any reverses from this bean and what do they look like?
I have only grown it once, in 2020, and it was a washout. One of the few times where I actually harvested less than I planted so I didn't have a chance to see a large volume of the bean. But from what I did collect, there were no reverses.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 13

Holy- Pole Dry- 2022

The seedcoat is very similar to Leslie Tenderpod. This climber comes to me via the Central Tree Crops Research Trust in New Zealand from their New Zealand Bean Project. I think the story behind the bean is the same as the Monstrance in France. Seed production was way off from the cool wet weather we had in early June. Seed collected from this bean was 4.20 ounces (119 gm)

Holy-FB.jpg
Holy - Pole Dry

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Horn's Speckled - Pole Lima- 2022

Short pods not as flattened as most limas. Plants are a prolific bearer of pods. I had grown the bean as far back as the early 19980's. Grown this year from 2013 seed that has been in the freezer for nearly 9 years.

Horn's Speckled-FB.jpg
Horn's Speckled - Pole Lima

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Horsehead - Bush Dry - 2022

I had orignally collected this bean from the Doubleday Research Association (now known as Garden Organic) in 1980 in the UK. This bean was the top bush bean producer of dry seed this year. 11 plants produced 27.45 ounces (778.18 gm). The bean actually out produced some of my better producing pole beans this year. Grown from 2014 freezer stored seed.

Horsehead-FB.jpg
Horsehead - Bush Dry

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Idaho Marrow - Bush Dry - 2022

One of the Network beans. I deliberately planted this bean mixed around each pole with Mona Lisa. I'm hoping to get a Mona Lisa seed coat out of this recesive white seed coated bean to get a more productive version of Mona Lisa. I will repeat this excercise again in 2023 with the new seed grown of each bean. Plump white bean with a creamy texture, Marrow beans were popular in the U.S. in the 1850's as a baking bean. They are said to have the flavor of bacon. This bean was bred at the Idaho experiment station (University of Idaho). The variety was developed from a cross between Cranberry 1466, (a Michigsin State University breeding line) and 61-2942 (a snap beein breeding line from Dr. L. L. Dean's program). A white seeded segregate was selected and increased. It is homozygous for plant and seed type. The seed of Idaho Marrow is more uniform in size and shape than Common Marrow. Idaho Marrow is resistant to Bean Common Mosaic virus (BVl) and the N. Y. 15 Strain.

Idaho Marrow-FB.jpg
Idaho Marrow - Pole Dry

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 14

Illinois Giant - Pole Lima - 2022

Got this bean at the 2020 Central Indiana Seed Swap in Nobelsville, Indiana. Finally got a lima bean patterned similarly to some of the Madagascar Limas that I can grow in my climate. This bean first came about as an outcross with Christmas lima by an Illinois Seed Savers Exchange member in the 1980's. It has been a lovely addition to any lima collection since then. I have not had a good grow out yet because of getting a poor start to the growing season with the bean because of cool early summer weather. I have been getting small amounts of nice seed each season. Next year will be another try with Illinois Giant.

Illinois Giant-FB.jpg
Illinois Giant - Pole Lima

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Jacob's Prairie - Bush Dry - 2022

Another one of the Robert Lobitz legacy bean material segregants that has not stablize yet. I do wonder if it will. It produced two segreations in this past summers grow out which is about the same number as past years year just different ones. First photo Jacob's Prairie then the following two photos are this years segregations. Total Seed collected including the segregations 9.72 ounces (276.40 gm).

Jacob's Prairie-FB.jpgJacob's Prairie OT-122-FB.jpg
Jacob's Prairie - Bush Dry...............................................Jacob's Prairie #1 Off Type 2022

Jacob's Prairie OT-222-FB.jpg
Jacob's Praire #2 Off Type 2022

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Jeminez - Pole Snap/Shell/Dry - 2022

A great bean for anyone to grow. Can be picked as small 6 inch snap beans or larger longer meaty snap beans. The seed can be allowed to mature and shelled in it's soft stage or allowed to completely mature it's seed and harvested as a dry bean. The pods begin to develop beautiful read streaking as the pods mature and then become highly colored in red just before the pods begin to dry. Pods can be up to 10 inches long (25 cm) when dry. Large seeded bean. Total seed harvested from 10 plants in 2022 was 51.35 ounces (1455.74 gm)

Jeminez-FB.jpgJeminez Pods Red #3 -10-5-2022.jpg
Jeminez - Pole/Snap/Shell/Dry..................................Jeminez Pod Fully Red

Jeminez #1 -9-1-2022.jpg
Jeminez - September 1, 2022

Last edited:

Latest posts