2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 16

Koronis Red Eye - Bush Dry - 2022

A Robert Lobitz bean that I did a regrow on this past summer and it too did much better in a different soil and location. I think in this newer location it also got more hours of sunlight. Seed from 10 plants was 18.75 ounces (531.55 gm)

Koronis Red Eye-FB.jpg
Koronis Red Eye - Bush Dry

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I will send the beans off this week. I'm going to start putting them in their packets tonight. It took me a little longer than I expected to get to this stage because I had to dry some beans down in the house, and they don't seem to dry up as quickly that way. So I wanted to leave them in paper envelopes for awhile to wick out any more moisture and be fully, fully dry. I had so much fun growing these varieties! :hugs

Any varieties that I had a good amount of I listed with Seeds of Diversity, just like last year.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@BeanieQueen I was hoping to get some of your help with translations? Wondering if I am correct?

Mooreskonigin - "Queen of the Moor" ???
Halbohne Reiser - "Half way Traveller" ???
Watchelbohne - "Quail Bean" ???
Quedlinberger Speck - "A Bacon Sandwich from Quedlinberg" ???
Blaue Meerbarbe - "Blue Mullet" ???
Kartoffel Bohne - "Potato Beann" ???
Meuch - "Much" ???
Schafermadle - "Shepherd Girl" ???

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I will send the beans off this week. I'm going to start putting them in their packets tonight. It took me a little longer than I expected to get to this stage because I had to dry some beans down in the house, and they don't seem to dry up as quickly that way. So I wanted to leave them in paper envelopes for awhile to wick out any more moisture and be fully, fully dry. I had so much fun growing these varieties! :hugs

Any varieties that I had a good amount of I listed with Seeds of Diversity, just like last year.
Ok that is great I will be on the lookout for your package. That is so neat you are listing in SODC 😊. The more peope that steward the varieties the better for them.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 17

La Pap Brown - Pole Dry - 2022

This is strictly a working title. I found this nice looking brown and white bean in La Pap during the 2020 growing season. This year was the second grow out of the bean and it still produces segreations. Two of them photos 2 and 3. The second segregant leans more towards red than La Pap which is pink and white. Total Seed was 5.85 ounces (137.49 gm)

La Pap Brown-FB.jpgLa Pap Brown-Seg 1-22-FB.jpg
La Pap Brown - Pole........................................................La Pap Brown Segregation #1

La Pap Brown-Seg 2-22-FB.jpg
La Pap Brown Segregation #2

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

La Pap - Pole Dry - 2022

Acquired this bean from my bean friend in Austria in 2013. This year was the sixth time I've grown the bean. This was another of the varieties that didn't grow so well but got a small amount of nice seeds to try again next season in 2023. Total Seed was 5.85 ounces (164.42 gm)

La Pap-FB.jpg
La Pap - Pole Dry

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Lavender Swirl - Pole Dry - 2022

My spreadsheet says I grew these bean the first time in 2021 and my freezer inventory file shows an entry for seed in 2021 but I don't remember them at all from last year. This years seed was small from the original that I obtained at the Central Indiana Seed Swap in early 2020. It looks decently filled out that I will give it a grow out again next year using this seasons seed. Total Seed was 5.85 ounces (165.84 gm)

Lavender Swirl-FB.jpg
Lavender Swirl - Pole

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Lilaschecke - Pole Wax - 2022

Acquired this bean from a former Seed Savers Exchange member in 2012. Who acquired it from another Seed Savers Exchange member from Germany. This seasons grow out was the best looking and largest volume of seed that I have ever gottesn from this bean before. 2022 was my fourth grow out of Lilaschecke. Grown in my small backyard plot where the first direct rays of the sun touch the plants and 10 am 1000) and the first shadows in the afternoon overcome the plants at 5pm (1700) Total seed collected from about 7 plants was 22.35 ounces (633.61 gm)

Lilaschecke-FB.jpg
Lilaschecke - Pole Wax

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score

Lilaschecke - Pole Wax - 2022

Acquired this bean from a former Seed Savers Exchange member in 2012. Who acquired it from another Seed Savers Exchange member from Germany. This seasons grow out was the best looking and largest volume of seed that I have ever gottesn from this bean before. 2022 was my fourth grow out of Lilaschecke. Grown in my small backyard plot where the first direct rays of the sun touch the plants and 10 am 1000) and the first shadows in the afternoon overcome the plants at 5pm (1700) Total seed collected from about 7 plants was 22.35 ounces (633.61 gm)

View attachment 53560
Lilaschecke - Pole Wax
I believe it likely that this is the same bean carried by SSE as "Olteanu's Romanian Yellow", which I have grown. It was originally listed erroneously by SSE as a runner bean, until I informed them that it was in reality a P. vulgaris pole wax bean. Both have glossy partially-purple seeds, I can see how they could be mistaken for small-seeded runner beans.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Speaking about pole wax beans... this year I grew "Zlatak". In 2009 I obtained it from SSE's Heritage Farm, who had obtained it from an SSE member in Germany. Not a very long-podded bean, but stringless in all stages. The mature beans are very flavorful in shell stage (my preferred way to use them) but it would probably make a good "full bean", eaten pod & all when the seeds are swollen. This was one of DW's favorite shellies, we had fond memories of eating them on the way to a Monticello seed swap one year.
20220830_170128.jpg 20220914_231549 (2).jpg

20221121_112956.jpg 20221121_113104.jpg
"Zlatak"

It was originally planned for the rural garden, but was moved to my "TLC" pots & bumped another variety when the rural garden was canceled. Grown in pots, only !0 ounces of seed from 8 plants; but it yielded 40 ounces from 12 plants when last grown in-ground in 2016.

Latest posts