2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 14

Jembo Polish - Pole Snap/Shell/Dry - 2022

I discovered this bean at the Sustainable Mountain Agricultural Seed Swap in Berea, Kentucky in 2015. Another bean with some of the characteristics of Jeminez but just not as long of pods. Large seeded bean. Total seed harvested from 7 plants in 2022 was 24.75 ounces (701.65 gm)

Jembo Polish-FB.jpg
Jembo Polish - Snap/Shell/Dry

Last edited:

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 14

Jembo Polish - Pole Snap/Shell/Dry - 2022

This bean originally comes from the Sądecczyzna region, south of the Malopolska in southern Poland, where it had been traditionally grown and eaten in preceding centuries. This bean is also known by its other name, or “fasola niepodległości”, which in Polish means “independence bean”.

@Bluejay77, don't be angry, but I would like to correct this.
The description you gave is for a different bean. Independence Bean is another name for Polska Fasola z Orzełkiem / Polish Bean with Eagle. The colors of this bean are our national colors, and the mark around the eye resembles the Polish national emblem.
Photo from 2019

Fasola z Orzełkiem.jpg

Additional information here

Jembo Polish, as the name suggests, may have come to the USA with Polish immigrants long ago, but at the moment its cultivation in Poland has disappeared. Maybe it will reborn because I've sent seeds to a few people.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77, don't be angry, but I would like to correct this.
The description you gave is for a different bean. Independence Bean is another name for Polska Fasola z Orzełkiem / Polish Bean with Eagle. The colors of this bean are our national colors, and the mark around the eye resembles the Polish national emblem.
Well thank you for the correction. This description I gave came up when I googled what is the history of Jembo Polish bean.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 15

Junin- Bush Dry - 2022

It's been 9 years since I last grew this bean and it didn't do so well in the soil I grew it in this year. Yet some other beans surrounding it did very well. Acquired this bean in 2013 from a grower in Germany. According to USDA documents this bean was said to be from an Andean gene pool, wild common beans, from an area around Junin, Peru. Of course that is probably the long ago ancestral history of it's origin. Seed harvested from this bean was 5.10 ounces for 10 plants (144.58 gm)

Junin-FB.jpg
Junin - Bush Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Karachaganak Bush - Bush Dry - 2022

The seed for this bean comes from Artoious. It's another bean that didn't seem to like soil it was grown in although I got a small amount of good seed to grow again next year. Total seed from 10 plants was 1.55 ounces (43.94 gm)

Karachaganak Bush-FB.jpg
Karachaganak Bush - Bush Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Koronis Giant Pinto - Bush Dry - 2022

Another Robert Lobitz bean that I regrew this year as I was not impressed with it's seed production last year. The bean did much better grown in a different location this year. Last years soil PH was 7.3 this year the soil Ph was 6.1. Total seed from this bean this year was 10.60 ounces (300.50 gm)

Koronis Giant Pinto-FB.jpg
Koronis Giant Pinto - Bush Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Koronis Little Red Trout - Bush Dry - 2022

A Robert Lobitz introduction through a listing through the Seed Savers Exchange yearbook about 22 years ago. This beans seed production was better than last year. However the seed quality was very good in both seasons. It's names describes it well. Just like a very small Jacob's Cattle bean. Total seed this year from 10 plants was 7.20 ounces (204.11 gm)

Koronis Little Red Trout-FB.jpg
Koronis Little Red Trout - Bush Dry

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 16

Koronis Tan Trout - Bush Dry - 2022

This is another Robert Lobitz bean and I suspect it might have come out of the same outcross and Koronis Little Red Trout. It doesn't grow as well as the red one and I've tried it in two different soils. Seed collected from this variety this year for 10 plants was 6.45 ounces (182.85 gm).

Koronis Tan Trout-FB.jpg
Koronis Tan Trout - Bush Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 16

Koronis White Oaks - Bush Dry - 2022

This is another Robert Lobitz bean I regrew this year because I wasn't satisfied with the seed production results last year in '21. The bean did much better in a different location and produced from 10 plants 14. .60 ounces (413.90 gm).

Koronis White Oaks-FB.jpg
Koronis White Oaks - Bush Dry

Latest posts