2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm just getting to this stage and it is supposed to be wet from today until next Friday. It may make collecting seeds challenging. I'll be out there every day getting any that are dry enough to hopefully keep them from sprouting in the pod.

May 1.jpg

May 2.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I grew Blue Speckled Tepary beans back in the early 1980's. It seems that they don't climb but also do not stand erect like a bush variety but might spread out on the ground a little in what is called prostrate growth. @heirloomgal you can verify their growth habit when your beans become mature. In the southwest which is there native growing area I read that these beans can grow on as little as 2 inches of rain. When they produced pods and mature seed they can appear water stressed. In this area of the world where they can get an abunance of water from what they are used to they will simply produce more foliage than what they produce in their native grounds.
My bad, I meant 'Blue Speckled Tepary' beans were the tepary variety I planted, 'Holstein' is the cowpea variety I planted (the other one whose growth habit I'm confused about). Gosh, I shouldn't do posts so late into the night! I think I'll poke in some bamboo with the teparies and see if it is of any benefit.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
From Seed Savers Exchange, The Seed Garden: The Art and Practice of Seed Saving:

"Ideally, dark-seeded beans should be planted when the soil temperature has reached 60°F (16°C), and light-seeded beans should be sown when the soil temperature is above 65°F (18°C)."
Thank you @meadow ! :hugs

Yes, I eventually found some information too that mentions this difference between light seeded beans and dark coated ones! I'll post the link since there was some other information in there that I thought was neat. Like the devastating effects (according to this study) of soaking beans before planting in terms of long term growth and production. Interestingly, they said that fava beans are the opposite - pre-soaking prior to planting apparently causes them to be super producers!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For @BeanieQueen my gluttonous bean list - 🐷
Coco de Belle Ile, Crochu De Savoie, Frank Barnett, Fukuryu Chunaga, Georgiean Black & White, Grune Aus Des Karpaten, Kjoto, Lazy Wife, Lohrey's Special, Monachine, Mpumalanga Boontjies, Muffet, Ntingi, Nwabiili, Pale Grey Lavender, Rotebeerbohne, Fisole Rassacher, Ruzava Kraicka, Rosa's Bean, Seda Kravicka, Sycamore Mascara, Sylvano's, Tramonto Di Trembua, Ugandan Bihimba, Vulkan, Greek Cypriot, Rose Creek, Armenia Giant, Green Savage, Irish Connors, Minnesota 1940's, Zugdidi Flat Cake, Gill's Delicious Giant ........this is most of my network bean list.

I have others planned as well for this year....🐿️🥜🥜🥜 Garafal Oro, Jembo Polish, Solwezi, Canon City, Uzice Speckled Wax, Malachite Pole, Tuscarora Bread, Kiagara Mame, Whipple, White Cloud Cannellini, Mont D'Or, Buckskin Girl, Victoria Brown Eyes, Major Cook's, Indian Woman Yellow, Nez Perce, Peruano, Lilascheke, Gold of Bacau, Florelle Fleiderfarben, Papa de Roja, Monstrance, African Cave, Ping Zebra, Peruano, Grandma Nellie's Mushroom, Migliorucci, Ice bean, Inca Pea Bean, Lilloet, Yer Fasuli, Flor de Mayo, Gaucho, Soissons Verte, Tamila, Hoj Prinsesse, Schwarze Dalmatin, Giant Nilgiri, Worcester Indian, Maria Zeller, Sultan's Green Crescent, Bis, Brejo, Vieux Flippe.......list is not totally completed yet....

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm just getting to this stage and it is supposed to be wet from today until next Friday. It may make collecting seeds challenging. I'll be out there every day getting any that are dry enough to hopefully keep them from sprouting in the pod.

View attachment 49018

View attachment 49019
Wow, @Ridgerunner, are these current photos? If so, are your beans already grown that far - almost ready for harvesting??
When did you sow them? And what variety is this?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, @Ridgerunner, are these current photos? If so, are your beans already grown that far - almost ready for harvesting??

@Ridgerunner is a lot further south than us northerners. :) he can get a full crop in while we're still getting ready to plant. i'm just now seeing the first sprouts coming up of Purple Dove beans i planted days ago. we're due for some cool weather but no freezing so i think we might be ok for further plantings. i have so much to do though i don't think it will hurt much if i wait another week.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a bit south of New Orleans so a totally different climate than most others deal with. I generally start beans, corn, and such the first of March but this year was a bit cool so I waited until mid-March. I can get a second crop in but with our summers they usually don't do well. My Blue Jay bush snap beans have just started to produce and I'll probably be eating fresh corn next weekend.

In 2016 I got some cross pollinated beans from Russ that he got from Will Bonsall. I grew 4 of those "varieties" and got 25 different beans. Since then I've been trying to get some to stabilize. Three did, I named them Jas, Banzala, and Valley View, and sent them to Russ. Two more have, Aksai and Cock 'n Bull, but the quality of last summer's growout was so poor I'm trying to get better quality seed before I send them to Russ. I also found a segregation in my Blue Jay bush snap beans a few years back. I'm trying to stabilize those too. I'm not having much luck in getting anything else to stabilize. I've had a few that were promising but then I get a surprise that sends me back to start. The ones in the photos are new segregations from the descendants of the Will Bonsall seeds. No names, just working names.

I haven't mentioned it on the forum before but for our own reasons we will soon be moving to a place I won't have a garden. I planted these before I knew we were moving. I hope to get a good harvest from these this spring but that will be it for me and growing beans to stabilize. Once I know better what I have I'll discuss with Russ if he wants what I have.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you @meadow ! :hugs

Yes, I eventually found some information too that mentions this difference between light seeded beans and dark coated ones! I'll post the link since there was some other information in there that I thought was neat. Like the devastating effects (according to this study) of soaking beans before planting in terms of long term growth and production. Interestingly, they said that fava beans are the opposite - pre-soaking prior to planting apparently causes them to be super producers!
I will be very interested to read that!! Very curious about the study on pre-soaking.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Later in the autumn after I have harvested all the seed I grew this summer. I will photo every single one of them. I will post all the photos here and you will see all the names and growth habits of them all.
@BeanieQueen, here is my planting list for this bean growing year. I have nothing more to do on this Sunday morning except wait for the grass around my house to dry out so I can mow here today. I think the actual count is 132.

Pole Beans

Paul Bunyan Giant
Bosnian Pole
Jembo Polish
Logan Giant
San Antonio
Weaver
Oregon Giant
Lilaschecke
Lohrey's Special
Amdromeda - Lima
Jeminez