2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 Is that the improved Rio Zape from UC Davis?

No it is not but I have the UC Davis Rio Zape. How do you know about the UC of Davis beans? They are working on all sorts of heirlooms transferring genes to make them mosaic resistant through a breeding program.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No it is not but I have the UC Davis Rio Zape. How do you know about the UC of Davis beans? They are working on all sorts of heirlooms transferring genes to make them mosaic resistant through a breeding program.
You had mentioned them in one of the old bean threads! 😁 I think you'd received some from a friend, perhaps the same one that shared the resistant Good Mother Stallard(s) with you recently?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
You had mentioned them in one of the old bean threads! 😁 I think you'd received some from a friend, perhaps the same one that shared the resistant Good Mother Stallard(s) with you recently?
Oh Wow you had remembered that I got the beans from someone. He is a bean farmer in Idaho Falls. His business is called Gentec Inc. He has contact with plant breeders. One of the breeders he knows at the UW in Madison, Wisconsin contacted me recently to get samples of two of the Network beans to do some breeding work to make them mature earlier to grow them in shorter season areas in the midwest. The man got Piatelle and Soissons Large White.

I would like to get all the UC Davis beans grown out next year. Then offer them through the Network and if I grow enough seed of them put them on my catalog pages too.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would like to get all the UC Davis beans grown out next year. Then offer them through the Network and if I grow enough seed of them put them on my catalog pages too.
That would be so exciting!!

It's cool that you're involved in the breeding efforts by providing the preserved genetics. There is something that appeals to me about that -- kind of a Big Picture sort of thing, but I cannot put my finger on it exactly. Anyway, kudos!!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here is the link to a pdf which talks about the differences between black seed coat beans and white seed coat beans, and other factors which may affect germination and even growth at later stages. Interestingly, there is a study in there that includes Lazy Housewife, which apparently has some unique properties in it's seed coat which determines that it is a 'hard bean', more recalcitrant to sprouting. My sowing of seeds for that variety this year seems to suggest this may be true; I planted those seeds the 1st day of May, and they only sprouted yesterday! I thought that I would need to re-plant some seeds, since most of the other varieties had long since sprouted. But low and behold, there they go sprouting on me after I had given up on them.

Page 64 has some good tidbits especially. I think the bit about how soaking causes long term injury to growth in white beans in particular is on page 5.

Black seed coats in particular have antibiotics within them, wow!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Couple more bean photos, the 'Holstein' cowpeas, which are handling the very cool weather remarkably well -
20220522_174056_resized.jpg

And those gorgeous marbled soybeans, whose name I can't ever recall because it's a number. I don't know if I'm imagining this, but it seems like they hang their ears low when its cold or dark out?
20220521_204422_resized.jpg

Was kinda sad to find that my lupini beans are under attack. Looks like onion flies. I'll be shocked if a single plant survives. Lost 4 already. Maybe this is why they aren't popular beans, possibly prone to pests. I'm not sure. 😭 Never seen this before except in actual green onions.

On a brighter note, my vole deterrent dug out pathway has found a couple fans.🤎 Picture is really terrible, sorry, they didn't like the camera and the sun was too low in the sky.

20220521_204144_resized.jpg

Sunset Runner beans are up and planted.
20220521_204502_resized.jpg

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is the link to a pdf which talks about the differences between black seed coat beans and white seed coat beans, and other factors which may affect germination and even growth at later stages. Interestingly, there is a study in there that includes Lazy Housewife, which apparently has some unique properties in it's seed coat which determines that it is a 'hard bean', more recalcitrant to sprouting. My sowing of seeds for that variety this year seems to suggest this may be true; I planted those seeds the 1st day of May, and they only sprouted yesterday! I thought that I would need to re-plant some seeds, since most of the other varieties had long since sprouted. But low and behold, there they go sprouting on me after I had given up on them.

Page 64 has some good tidbits especially. I think the bit about how soaking causes long term injury to growth in white beans in particular is on page 5.

Black seed coats in particular have antibiotics within them, wow!

Thank you for the link!! 🥰

I think you mean Lazy Wife? (Lazy Housewife is a different bean) I'm growing Lazy Wife's Pole Bean too! I'd planned to freeze the seed, but what I received was old and needed a grow-out. Had difficulty getting them to swell until nicking the seed coat.

Did you have a good germination rate with your direct seeded Lazy Wife?

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
For @BeanieQueen my gluttonous bean list - 🐷
Coco de Belle Ile, Crochu De Savoie, Frank Barnett, Fukuryu Chunaga, Georgiean Black & White, Grune Aus Des Karpaten, Kjoto, Lazy Wife, Lohrey's Special, Monachine, Mpumalanga Boontjies, Muffet, Ntingi, Nwabiili, Pale Grey Lavender, Rotebeerbohne, Fisole Rassacher, Ruzava Kraicka, Rosa's Bean, Seda Kravicka, Sycamore Mascara, Sylvano's, Tramonto Di Trembua, Ugandan Bihimba, Vulkan, Greek Cypriot, Rose Creek, Armenia Giant, Green Savage, Irish Connors, Minnesota 1940's, Zugdidi Flat Cake, Gill's Delicious Giant ........this is most of my network bean list.

I have others planned as well for this year....🐿️🥜🥜🥜 Garafal Oro, Jembo Polish, Solwezi, Canon City, Uzice Speckled Wax, Malachite Pole, Tuscarora Bread, Kiagara Mame, Whipple, White Cloud Cannellini, Mont D'Or, Buckskin Girl, Victoria Brown Eyes, Major Cook's, Indian Woman Yellow, Nez Perce, Peruano, Lilascheke, Gold of Bacau, Florelle Fleiderfarben, Papa de Roja, Monstrance, African Cave, Ping Zebra, Peruano, Grandma Nellie's Mushroom, Migliorucci, Ice bean, Inca Pea Bean, Lilloet, Yer Fasuli, Flor de Mayo, Gaucho, Soissons Verte, Tamila, Hoj Prinsesse, Schwarze Dalmatin, Giant Nilgiri, Worcester Indian, Maria Zeller, Sultan's Green Crescent, Bis, Brejo, Vieux Flippe.......list is not totally completed yet....
Thank you so much for listing! Very interesting!
Most names are already familiar, but some I had to look up. And it is so international! Really once around the world..
How many plants do you usually do per variety?

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@BeanieQueen, here is my planting list for this bean growing year. I have nothing more to do on this Sunday morning except wait for the grass around my house to dry out so I can mow here today. I think the actual count is 132.

Pole Beans

Paul Bunyan Giant
Bosnian Pole
Jembo Polish
Logan Giant
San Antonio
Weaver
Oregon Giant
Lilaschecke
Lohrey's Special
Amdromeda - Lima
Jeminez
Genesis - Lima
Liscek
Lavender Swirl
Gila River
Kiagara Mame
Tunny
Khabarovsk
Hobb's Goose
Holy
La Pap
Tamila
Tuvagliedda
Hashuli
Lynnfield
Seneca Bird Egg
Empress - Lima
True Red Cranberry
Blue Spitball
Peinsipps Zweifarbage
Bobolink
Forelle Fliederfarben
Slovenia III
Christmas - Lima
Cresnjevec
Black And White Goose
Mariazeller
Mona Lisa
Idaho Marrow
Graines De Cafe
Blue Shaxamaxon
Hemelvaartboontje
Diamont
Snow Storm - Lima
Seneca Cornstalk
Trebulino Di Domenico
Corn Planter
Peruvian Goose
Vermont Mohawk
Pale Grey Lavender
Snow On The Mountain - Lima
Kutasi Princess
Viola Di Assiago
Witzenhausen Red
Scorpio - Lima
Illinois Giant - Lima
La Pap - Brown and White Outcross
Tresnjevec
Rwanda Sky - Selection From Rwanda Rainbow
Skunk Bean - Not the same as Skunk
Mestia Svenati
Splash Trout
Sacre Bleu
George's Bean
Libra - Lima
Mascarade De Breil Roya
Deb's Creek
Nyau Tenibe NcHenachena
Ukrainian Pole

Semi Runners

Karachaganak
Midnight Blue
Stevenson's Blue Eye
Draper's Glen
White Robin
Rio Zape
Deseronto Potato

Bush Beans

Dazzle
Rockwell
Skunk River Red
Cosmic Girl
Early Stearns
Victoria Brown Eyes OT 4 ------OT is off type
Tjana Special
Oak Tree Pinto
African Premier OT 4
Canadian Dot Eye
Swan River
Jacob's Prairie
Cokato
North Star Yellow Eye
Abundant Little Gem Pinto
Koronis Tan Trout
White Sun
Red Eyed Ranger
Koronis Giant Pinto
Koronis Little Red Trout
Purple Swan
Skunk River Trout 30-B
Koronis Red Eye
Koronis Little White
Bonanza Valley Navy
Weiner Trieb Outcross
Steuben Yellow Eye
Early Dawn Pinto
North Town Brown Eye
Koronis White Oaks
Black Gem
Billingsgate OT 3
Sweetwater
Victoria Brown Eyes OT 2
Rabbit's Foot OT 5
Nigel OT
Cannellino Nero
Nebraska Sunset
Koronis Three Islands
Billingsgate OT 4
Horsehead
Coco Rubico
Cherry Trout
Mazeppa
Kelly Lake
Karachaganak Bush
African Cave
Gold Creek Beauty
Bamberger Blaue
Cedar Lake
Roz Picat
Spotted Pheasant
Dwarf Shield
Ocean View
Dreamer
#15-Sux-YeE-7
White Lion
Little Falls OT 3
Junin
Minnesota Beauty
Early Warwick
Sycamore Mascara
#15-Sux-YeE-5.1
Lucky me that it was raining in Illinois! Thank you so much for this sneak pre-view..
What a nice looong list! And it reads like a poem :)

Do you use some of them also for mainly private consumption?
And what colour has Rwanda Sky? Light grey?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
o you use some of them also for mainly private consumption?
And what colour has Rwanda Sky? Light grey?

Rwanda Sky is a name I gave to the selection. I don't know if it will work out well. Will only know by growing them. The beans from this selection look light blue to me. The dry beans that I eat are a collection of all the reject beans I weed out of my grow outs and the end of the season. They are good enough to eat, but I don't want to send them to anyone to try to grow them. Beans that are very small or mishappen. Beans that have incomplete seed coat growth around the seed. I call those split seed coats. Some outcrosses that I'm not interested in I put them in a plastic canister and keep those for eating also. So all my soup beans are mixture of many varieties. I really don't know what particular varieties would be like just by themselves.