2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 @heirloomgal
Hey guys, not trying to butt in, but I was curious as to what a cassette box was.
I think it is one of those little plastic, rectangular things that cassette tapes came in. Google for a picture, as I'm sure they were before your time. Music was sold on them, or blanks ones could be bought, for sound recordings. Thus speaks the old man.:old

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 @heirloomgal
Hey guys, not trying to butt in, but I was curious as to what a cassette box was.
I think cassettes came out somewhere after 78 RPM vinyl, and quadrophonic stereo. Their Daddy was a reel-to-reel tape recorder, Mama was an 8-track tape, and the cassette box was sort of Baby's cradle. ;) Oh, the good 'ole days of Hi-Fi! :old

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think it is one of those little plastic, rectangular things that cassette tapes came in. Google for a picture, as I'm sure they were before your time. Music was sold on them, or blanks ones could be bought, for sound recordings. Thus speaks the old man.:old

Oh I gotcha. I’m old too. I wasn’t thinking about music cassettes I guess. I remember talking about them when they first came out. I said that would never last.

I feel like I just had a Duh moment. Hshahaaa!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Which seeds do you plant first in a season, the poles or bush beans? What kind of timing gap is there between the planting of the pole seeds and bush seeds?

I plant pole beans first about June 1st. 4 to 5 days later I usually get the bush bean seed into the ground. The time differential is if it doesn't rain and make my bush bean ground too wet to work. This year was all mixed up. The pole beans went through cloudy wet cool days after I planted them around the June 1. Then I replanted the ones that didn't come up around the 15th of June. Then after I got a little more than half the pole beans replanted we got a heavy rain. So I didn't get the remainder of the pole beans planted until June 21. While I was waiting for that ground to dry out so I could work it with my had trowel around the poles. I used those days to presprout the remainder of the seed I was going to plant. I've got pole beans at several different levels of development. Some have climbed to the top of the poles and are blooming. I have some that look like semi runner length and noticed yesterday pods on them that look like they a filling with seed already. I have some pole beans that look like they might start climbing in about a week or 10 days.

Took some photos of the pole bean plot yesterday. I had hand weeded the entire 11 41 foot rows the last two days (4.5 hours).

My Zinnia Beetle attractor row.
Zinnia Row .jpg

The tall bean in the middle of the photo is Empress. The pole to it's left is also Empress probably replanted later. Empress is a large seeded lima like Christmas
Empress 7-26-22.jpg

Genesis Lima. Seems like it wants to grow mostly in a pile this year rather than do much climbing. Last time I grew Genesis it grew in partial shade and grew all the way to the top of it's pole.
Genesis 7-26-22.jpg

Christmas - lima. That tall one is of the orignal planting June 1 and it is only one plant that grew out of 4 seeds planted taking up the entire pole. The next pole in the same row is also Christmas replanted later.
Christmas 7-26-22.jpg

Both of the first two poles you see with tall plants are Blue Shaxamaxon. The seed has been quietly waiting to see the light of summer again in my freezer since 2016.
Blue Shaxamaxon 7-26-22.jpg

Rows 9,10 and 11. Many of these are from presprouted seed planted June 21. Actually you can see half of Row 8 all the way to the left of the photo. That bean that has climbed to the top of it's pole is Viola Di Assiago. This tall plant you see in Row 10 at the start of the row is Mestia Svaneti. I got this from Karen Golden in Highland, Michigan right after the Central Michigan Seed Swap in 2020. She was at that seed swap. Flowerbug might have met her I don't know. Karen also has the tomato website "Michigan Heirlooms". That bean is one of the many brought back by Joseph Simcox and was being grown and kept by his sister Susan in Michigan. The tall bean you can see half of it all the way to the right in row 11 is the large seed lima Snowstorm. That too is only one plant taking up the entire pole. It is also one of the few from the original planted seed on June 1. Only one of 4 seeds grew around each pole. The next pole right after Snowstorm is Deb's Creek growing about half way up it's pole, and the tall plant further up the row in the background is Ukrainian Pole.
Rows 9-10-11 --7-26-22.jpg

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
well i've learned that i won't be planting this way again in any coming seasons. the double rows i was hoping would protect and support each other ended up getting beaten down and falling away from each other (into the spaces i left between them) in the heavy rains we had a few days ago. hahaha! ah well... :)

plenty of flowering going on.

Last edited:

capsicumguy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hmmmm... A couple of my Nona Agnes plants are showing some sort of mosaicking. Can anyone ID this and tell me if it's common or yellow mosaic virus? FWIU common mosaic can pass to the seed, but yellow mosaic can't. @Bluejay77 these are seeds I'm saving for the network; should I just turn them into soup? One plant is still doing okay.

Attachments

• IMG_20220724_155107.jpg
    IMG_20220724_155107.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 56

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
something a bit different but bean related:

"Its first overseas shipment of containers - 200 containers of bagged kidney beans destined for Italy, France, Germany and Hungary - set sail in late May."

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmmm... A couple of my Nona Agnes plants are showing some sort of mosaicking. Can anyone ID this and tell me if it's common or yellow mosaic virus? FWIU common mosaic can pass to the seed, but yellow mosaic can't. @Bluejay77 these are seeds I'm saving for the network; should I just turn them into soup? One plant is still doing okay.
Yep sure looks like Mosaic virus. Don't know what variety of mosaic that might be. The leaves you have don't look real yellow. Maybe in another week or so they will. Your leaves are usually shaped differently in some forms of BCMV. Some varieties get elongated narrower leaves that can sometimes look squared off at the ends. Some leaves take on a shorter more rounded look. Leaves can be blistered like what you show in your photo. The leaves definitely deviate from the normal valentine shape. Also once you handled the leaves of a BCMV plant don't go touching your healthy plants as you might have virus all over your fingers which can be spread on contact. Wash your hands with soap and water. Don't let the runners of these plants reach out and mix with your other beans. The virus can be spread by infected leaves and plant parts rubbing against healthy plants.

I would use the seed for soup beans unless you want to carefully take out all the plants and leaves now and destroy them. The virus will be seed borne in some forms of mosaic.

Bean Yellow Mosaic.
Bean Yellow Mosaic.jpg
Bean Yellow Mosaic #2.png

Last edited:

Latest posts