2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Greetings bean lovers!! Ducks, I admit, has been a Lurker here.
Now, I have planted a couple 100 beans and I got a tiny harvest today.
If the beans are like tomatoes I should have enough for a meal in the next week, BUT, how can I store These 3 beans until then?

Nice to have you here Ducks !

If those pods you show are dry. You can store them in a paper bag or cardboard box larger enough to hold them. You could even use large plastic storage containers. Likely the seed inside those pods will probably need further drying anyway. Leave any storage container open to the air. After you get all your pods harvested and shelled. You can keep your seed for further drying in plastic containers open to the air. Seed can be kept in containers 3 to 4 inches deep and stir them a little every day to bring up seed that is lower down in the mix. I would dry them open to the air after all are shelled for about a month.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Greetings bean lovers!! Ducks, I admit, has been a Lurker here.
Now, I have planted a couple 100 beans and I got a tiny harvest today.
If the beans are like tomatoes I should have enough for a meal in the next week, BUT, how can I store These 3 beans until then?View attachment 50778

why store them? eat them fresh. crunchy, delicious, yummy... unless you are one of "Those People[tm]" who cannot eat raw beans (Mom can't - she says they get stuck in her throat). in that case i guess i would not pick them until i had enough to cook up or another consideration is that the earliest pods will give you earliest seeds (if you are trying to develop more earlier cultivars). consistent selection of the earliest seeds should eventually shift the harvest by some amount of time. this consistent effort over many years (by others and me too) has meant that i can have beans that reach dry stage by 70-80 days (even if my season is normally over 100 days).

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Its first overseas shipment of containers - 200 containers of bagged kidney beans destined for Italy, France, Germany and Hungary - set sail in late May."
Intersting article. Shipping beans from the Great Lakes ports Wow Cool ! I also thought it quite something the even since the 1950's to 2017 that the port of Duluth was still shipping half of what it used to. I would have thought just about all the Great Lakes shipping would have long ago completely stopped. A bye gone era to never return. Goes to show you that you need variety even in ship sizes.

capsicumguy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yep sure looks like Mosaic virus. Don't know what variety of mosaic that might be. The leaves you have don't look real yellow. Maybe in another week or so they will. Your leaves are usually shaped differently in some forms of BCMV. Some varieties get elongated narrower leaves that can sometimes look squared off at the ends. Some leaves take on a shorter more rounded look. Leaves can be blistered like what you show in your photo. The leaves definitely deviate from the normal valentine shape. Also once you handled the leaves of a BCMV plant don't go touching your healthy plants as you might have virus all over your fingers which can be spread on contact. Wash your hands with soap and water. Don't let the runners of these plants reach out and mix with your other beans. The virus can be spread by infected leaves and plant parts rubbing against healthy plants.

I would use the seed for soup beans unless you want to carefully take out all the plants and leaves now and destroy them. The virus will be seed borne in some forms of mosaic.

Bean Yellow Mosaic.
View attachment 50777 View attachment 50779
That's disappointing... Given that there are no other mosaic-like leaves on any nearby beans (and they are legion), I guess it came in on the seeds. Probably the last grower didn't know the signs and returned contaminated seed. Looking again, all the Nona Agnes plants have varying amounts of mosaic or puckering. I guess I won't be returning any... Now the decision is whether to pull these ones out to avoid spread to the other varieties via aphids.

Last edited:

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Intersting article. Shipping beans from the Great Lakes ports Wow Cool ! I also thought it quite something the even since the 1950's to 2017 that the port of Duluth was still shipping half of what it used to. I would have thought just about all the Great Lakes shipping would have long ago completely stopped. A bye gone era to never return. Goes to show you that you need variety even in ship sizes.
I don't know about the western great lakes, but there's regularly 200m ships in the St. Lawrence, and one over 300m made the news in Montreal a couple of years ago.

That's a lot of beans right there!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmmm... A couple of my Nona Agnes plants are showing some sort of mosaicking. Can anyone ID this and tell me if it's common or yellow mosaic virus? FWIU common mosaic can pass to the seed, but yellow mosaic can't. @Bluejay77 these are seeds I'm saving for the network; should I just turn them into soup? One plant is still doing okay.
Looks mosaic-y to me too @capiscumguy , however, having said that, in this day and age soil contaminated with pesticide/herbicide residue is not uncommon. It's been in use for so long and so ubiquitously. Pesticide affected plants can look like that as well. But I can pass on a tip to you for future bean growouts, it's an Ontario connection but I think you may still get a response if you have concerns. Megan Moran with Dry Bean Agronomy Ontario (drybeanagronomy.ca) might offer bean insights if you email her with photos or questions. She''s been so helpful to me & even offered up free lab services to test any plant I might be concerned about. You may have a similar resource in BC.

Eta: sorry everybody, my typos are epic now because of this dumb auto correct function on my present device. Until I can disable the function please accept my apologies for future auto correct typos! What a super dumb function, always gets the word wrong. :mad:

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

in recent years when the water levels of Lake Huron and Lake Michigan were lower than they are now they were having trouble shipping some things because the boats could not carry as much as they'd like (increasing costs because if you can't haul as much per trip then you're not making as much $ per delivery). now that the lake levels have gone up (and beyond where some people would like as it erodes the shorelines and reduces the amount of beaches you have if you live on the lake shore) they're back to being able to deliver bigger loads again.

i'm not sure how many beans were shipped from Saginaw over the years but i'm sure it was substantial:

Michigan Bean Company Records​

anyone up for some reading? "5.0 Cubic feet , 11 volumes on shelf."

i do know that Michigan has a long history of bean growing and shipping i just don't know for sure how much may have gone out from Saginaw itself via ships as compared to rail traffic (which there used to be a lot more). i suspect with higher gas and diesel prices it may start shifting back to water and rail transport in part. it takes years to adjust everything but it could happen (me being a rail fan i could always be happy knowing beans were going by rail).

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Two interesting observations to report @bluejay, given its almost August I think I can safely say that (hmmmm...spelling, can't member the name, the South African bean) Mboontjies? Anyway, it is supposed to be a semi runner but I planted near all the seeds and in none of the plants have I really seen a 'runner'. They seem like bush beans? Also, Pale Grey Lavender has not grown into a pole, it's a very slightly twined bush as well. Usually it goes the other way, bushes go to runners but not with these ones. At least not so far, season isn't over yet...

I ask about when you plant poles vs the bush beans because if the poles come first and bushes second in planting order it may not be your soil but bean seed flies. They go for the 1st seeds planted in a season, or even sprouted plseedlings, which is often the poles since its takes longer for those ones to mature. And if you got a wet and/or a spell of cooler weather after planting or even successful germination they will show up. The plants will survive, grow and make pods but they just will look all season like they are not reaching their full potential, not as bushy, not as vigorous, not quite as productive, not as generally lush and healthy.

It would explain why your bush beans did great in that bed versus your pole beans. You probably planted your bush bean seeds in that bed that year a bit later, waiting until your poles were planted in the other garden first. It may not be the bed at all, but the timing. Bean seed flies are the evil, stealthy nemesis of bean lovers!

Eta: no idea why all that paragraph above is green

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Because it is envious of the other paragraphs. :rolleyes:

click edit for that article and then use the More Options option from the menu above the article and then click on the two square brackets which will show you the editing codes and it will show that there is color being used.

if you want to remove the coloring without going through that and editing it out you can select the text with the color and then click on the color pallet and then click on the option to remove the formatting and that should return the text to the default formatting (after you save it :) ).

in looking closer i see that you somehow managed to chop the id for bluejay in half and that is likely why the color is there. so an error during editing. that's ok, it happens... :)