2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

capsicumguy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Looks mosaic-y to me too @capiscumguy , however, having said that, in this day and age soil contaminated with pesticide/herbicide residue is not uncommon. It's been in use for so long and so ubiquitously. Pesticide affected plants can look like that as well. But I can pass on a tip to you for future bean growouts, it's an Ontario connection but I think you may still get a response if you have concerns. Megan Moran with Dry Bean Agronomy Ontario (drybeanagronomy.ca) might offer bean insights if you email her with photos or questions. She''s been so helpful to me & even offered up free lab services to test any plant I might be concerned about. You may have a similar resource in BC.

Eta: sorry everybody, my typos are epic now because of this dumb auto correct function on my present device. Until I can disable the function please accept my apologies for future auto correct typos! What a super dumb function, always gets the word wrong. :mad:
wow, that sounds like a really valuable resource; I really appreciate you pointing me to her! We've been gardening this plot organically for about a decade, so I'm afraid it's probably just mosaic. Maybe she can help me identify whether it's common or yellow mosaic.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's disappointing... Given that there are no other mosaic-like leaves on any nearby beans (and they are legion), I guess it came in on the seeds. Probably the last grower didn't know the signs and returned contaminated seed. Looking again, all the Nona Agnes plants have varying amounts of mosaic or puckering. I guess I won't be returning any... Now the decision is whether to pull these ones out to avoid spread to the other varieties via aphids.

I really don't think there is a bug problem when I plant bean seed, but everytime after I plant and weather goes into one of these extended cool and damp periods. I have trouble with seed germination. It even has happened with bush beans. Had the problem with bush beans in 2015 and 2016. This year after I planted the pole beans we never saw a day in the 70's. No direct sunlight to warm the soil, but about a week of overcast. Daytime highs in the mid to upper 60's and nightime in the mid to low 50's. A couple of upper 40's thrown in and low 60's for a couple daytime highs. A little more light rain once during the week that kept the soil wet and cool. Beans don't like an extended period of very wet soil. The soil I planted pole beans again this year like last year is a clay type topsoil. It takes some good strong direct sunlight to dry up this soil for a few days and to warm it. I planted because it was already June 1 and we were already in a nice bought of weather. Then when I planted the weather and temperatures flipped on me.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your seeds are Looking good @Zeedman

5-A4-DD730-0-D5-A-43-D8-B5-EA-A211-D1047727.jpg

capsicumguy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I really don't think there is a bug problem when I plant bean seed, but everytime after I plant and weather goes into one of these extended cool and damp periods. I have trouble with seed germination. It even has happened with bush beans. Had the problem with bush beans in 2015 and 2016. This year after I planted the pole beans we never saw a day in the 70's. No direct sunlight to warm the soil, but about a week of overcast. Daytime highs in the mid to upper 60's and nightime in the mid to low 50's. A couple of upper 40's thrown in and low 60's for a couple daytime highs. A little more light rain once during the week that kept the soil wet and cool. Beans don't like an extended period of very wet soil. The soil I planted pole beans again this year like last year is a clay type topsoil. It takes some good strong direct sunlight to dry up this soil for a few days and to warm it. I planted because it was already June 1 and we were already in a nice bought of weather. Then when I planted the weather and temperatures flipped on me.
Yeah, I had really terrible germination this year too. Normally beans are my easiest crop, but not with this cool wet spring.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wish I could send u guys about 10 degrees.
Daytime temps running 103 to 106

At midnight last night it was 88

We’ve had several back to back daytime temps over 100. It’s been quite awhile since we’ve had nice temps.

Last edited:

capsicumguy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wish I could send u guys about 10 degrees.
Daytime temps running 103 to 106

At midnight last night it was 88

We’ve had several back to back daytime temps over 100. It’s been quite awhile since we’ve had nice temps.
Thanks for your generosity, but I don't need them anymore 🤣 we're getting close to 100 ourselves, with nighttime lows of 77. If there's anything consistent about weather, it's its inconsistency...

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wow, that sounds like a really valuable resource; I really appreciate you pointing me to her! We've been gardening this plot organically for about a decade, so I'm afraid it's probably just mosaic. Maybe she can help me identify whether it's common or yellow mosaic.
Yes, give it a try @capsicumguy. Her email is on the website l posted, bottom right. If you can't fidn it I can pm it to you.

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Costco in Salem Oregon has a 25 pound bag of Mayocoba Beans for $25. I've never seen them there before. Just Pinto beans. Rancho Gordo says they make good refried beans, or can be used in place of Cannellini or great Northern beans. Might have to give them a try.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Spent half an hour tonight cruising bean rows and helping wandering vines go back home. I'm surprised how pods are setting on the vines, many very close to the ground. Network bean Fasold has a pile under there touching the dirt. Do you ever see this@bluejay? I have much more experience with bush beans so I'm learning about how poles typically behave. Thee are lots up the vine as well, but the most mature pods are down there?

Had a fantastic rain today, then nice warm bright sun. Night are getting cool lately, 12 C/53.6 F tonight. But I'm glad the massive heat seems to have subsided cause I think the flowers set better in medium weather. It's better weather to develop pods I think, not too cool not hot as the blazes either. Was 22C/71.6 F today. 😊

Bluejay I wonder what kind of steroids network beans Armenian Giant Black and Fissole Rassacher are on! I've never seen pole beans grow this huge, up & outward. Hard to estimate the height, but it must be over 10 to 11 feet. Monster vines, but no pods on Fissole R.! 😲 AGB has some though. I went poking around and some bean vines are still only blooming. 😟 I guess it's varietal differences. Flor de Mayo is SUCH a strange little bean. I don't think it likes heat! Now that we're getting some cooerrands temps its finally growing happily. It's such a small vine, almost like my tepary beans, just about that size.

Ate my first Hoj Princesse beans today, the vine are loaded. Delicious! Another cassette bean I could send I think, though I shouldn't count my eggs before they hatch!🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Fasold pods...on the ground

20220728_192333.jpg

Armenian Giant & FR.... huge!
20220728_155220.jpg

20220728_152751.jpg

Teparies
20220728_153209.jpg

Network bean Irish Connors
20220728_153039.jpg

Dragon Tongue on the left - planted late - on the right Yer Fasold plant early and stunted by bean seed flies. There is an upside to the stunting though; my garden is quite prone to sclerotina in fall, which rots my pods, so small plants actually prevent that condition.
20220728_155254.jpg

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The Costco in Salem Oregon has a 25 pound bag of Mayocoba Beans for $25. I've never seen them there before. Just Pinto beans. Rancho Gordo says they make good refried beans, or can be used in place of Cannellini or great Northern beans. Might have to give them a try.
Lucky you!!!

Latest posts