2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe I'm a little dense, but why did that give you a great laugh? Is there a double meaning there ?

for me it was that because in the 2021 bean thread i'd talked about bees without borders and zeedman came back and said it should have been beans without borders but when i wrote the bees without borders i really meant that because bees pay no attention to the lines that humans try to draw on the world and they won't when it comes down to cross pollinating beans. :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
for me it was that because in the 2021 bean thread i'd talked about bees without borders and zeedman came back and said it should have been beans without borders but when i wrote the bees without borders i really meant that because bees pay no attention to the lines that humans try to draw on the world and they won't when it comes down to cross pollinating beans.
Ok see how that made you laugh. I was thinking how many international growers are in this network. That is how I related Beans Without Borders. I quickly saw the post about Beans Without Borders. The words quickly flashed accross my sight, but never really got into reading that post but I thought Yeah that would be a neat theme for me to tack on to the Little Easy Bean Network thread.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aeron Purple Star - Pole Purple Podded Runner. Phaseolus Coccineus
Just FYI, I maintain Aeron Purple Star & currently have 10 ounces of seed; but have to hold seed back to fill SSE exchanges. How much seed would you need, @Bluejay77 ?

It saddens me to see that none of the SSE members I previously sent Aeron Purple Star are re-offering seed this year. :(

capsicumguy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks kindly @Bluejay77 for your warm welcome (and a whole host of others on the 2021 thread). I've been looking forward to this new thread with eagerness!

Sorry to hear you got waylaid @Bluejay77 and glad you're back! Sounds like you do a lot of traveling in pursuit of new and exciting beans.

My eagerness is a bit muted this week -- fighting off Omicron myself -- looking forward to getting my energy back and joining in.

In the meantime, what does a Canadian need to know? Is there a limit on seeds, either incoming or outgoing?

And lastly, which of these are drying beans and which are snap? We do eat a lot of both; I just don't want to accidentally request snaps only! 😅

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
And lastly, which of these are drying beans and which are snap? We do eat a lot of both; I just don't want to accidentally request snaps only! 😅

every lima bean i've ever grown is very good eating at the shelly stage aside from the dry stage (not the pods though).

i think all greasy beans are edible at the young snap stage as they are often eaten later on when the pod is also more full of seeds (making them more nutritionally dense or were hung for leather britches or canned).

Etna and Hidatsa are dry beans. i don't know any of the rest. :)

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Santa Maria Pinquito is a dry bean. ::eyes 2 bags from Rancho Gordo:: Someone may have had the brilliant idea of sampling beans from Rancho Gordo before trying to grow them. 😅

eta: woops! Meant to also say that normally there are pictures and descriptions of Network beans on Bluejay's site, but a bunch of these are missing.

Latest posts