2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77
Right, you sent me Ocean View seeds and I have grown this bean in the 2020 and 2021 seasons. In 2022 I will have it too. I choose the bluest seeds for sowing.

Ocean View 2020
View attachment 48758

This variety is not quite stable, there were new segregations every time. This year I sowed seeds that look like blue Dapple Grey. I would love to stabilize this pattern.

View attachment 48759

my adventures with Dapple Grey giving me what i've been calling Monster beans and then planting Monster beans and getting back Dapple Grey and also many other beans.

it can be fun, addictive and very hard to manage all the variants that can show up. i have beans that look like Ocean View in a variety of colors from grays, browns, tans, reds, oranges, yellows, light greens, olives, etc. i also have gotten a pink version of Dapple Grey which i have no idea will repeat or be stable until it gets grown out again. i have to pick a few of these each year to see what happens next. :)

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@Bluejay77
Hello Russ,
this is Gerit from Freiburg/Germany.
It seems that our eMail contact got disconnected somehow and you don't receive mails from me anymore? I wrote to you on 26-Apr, 04-May and 09-May-2022.
(now in spam folder? or am I inadvertently blocked?)
Your parcel arrived safely on 25-Apr-2022 and I immediataly started seeding.

@all
Hello everybody,
I am a new one - but not as new as you might think. I am following this forum for quite a while already, but never registered for I didn't want to bore anyone with unnecessary comments in bad English ;)
But being unable to reach The Boss anymore seams to be a sign to register here, finally.
I am very glad to be here.
This is my 2nd year with network beans. I am loving it !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77
Hello Russ,
It seems that our eMail contact got disconnected somehow and you don't receive mails from me anymore? I wrote to you on 26-Apr, 04-May and 09-May-2022.

@all
Hello everybody,
I am a new one - but not as new as you might think. I am following this forum for quite a while already, but never registered for I didn't want to bore anyone with unnecessary comments in bad English ;)
But being unable to reach The Boss anymore seams to be a sign to register here, finally.
I am very glad to be here.
This is my 2nd year with network beans. I am loving it !

you are doing fine with your English. :) welcome to TEG and TEBN threads. of course we'll be happy to hear about your other gardening efforts too and also pictures. :)

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Welcome @BeanieQueen! Your English is perfect, and there is nothing about beans that could be boring or unnecessary 😌
I've heard from a friend in Germany that it has been particularly hot lately, but with cold nights.
Which beans will you grow this year?
Thank you @Triffid and @flowerbug for your warm welcome! You are kind :)

My Network beans this year are:
Aeron Purple Star, Duilius, Lusaka, Ruth Bible, Dean Family Greasy, Globula, Trebulino di Domenico.

Apart from that I sow Vaquero, Zuni Shalako, Mongeta del Ganxet, Bitxo, Oregon Giant, Sequoia, Sulphur,
Eden Valley (sow them already last year and they all came out exactly like a Piros Feher doppelganger. Fresh try this year on another place with different soil and sun exposure), nameless runner beans and some Lima Beans (Christmas Lima, Red Calico, Pole Star).

And you?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 the network beans are getting a really royal treatment this year; I had DH cut down several large pine trees (and a few others) that hem in two sides of my garden for them. I wanted to create the best air flow possible, and already I can tell there is a quite a difference in the breeze back there. I also went out and bought a roll of hardware cloth (the labels calls it that) but it's actually really fine metal mesh. I'm going to line one side of my garden with it - underground. I believe I have a walkway that voles have turned into a highway, because I have a garden on both sides of this path and they tunnel left or right from it down my rows. So, I'm hoping this underground mesh, sunk deep enough, will prevent them. I know they won't approach from the other sides as they are avoiding those more open spaces. Cutting down all those trees will also deter them as trees gave them cover. If this doesn't help my 2021 vole problem, I don't know what will! My only concern now is a family of rabbits that appears to be living, part time at least, under the cedar trees in my front yard. All my neighbours are seeing them too. Hopefully, a fox will show up or a weasel and that will be that, or they'll find enough to eat elsewhere. We do have a wooded area with plenty for them to eat, so they aren't desperate. I have never had rabbit problems before, so I'm thinking it will be alright. :fl

Heirloomgal. Well special treatment. The beautiful seed you sent from last years grow out I would say they got excellent treatment last year too. You do a marvelous job of growing wonderful beans. Thank you so much.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77
Hello Russ,

Oh BeanieQueen, How wonderful the beans made it to you. :weeeI had wondered about them. Some people in some countries in Europe are having a harder time receiving beans. There may have been some inport rules changes. You also do a wonderful job of growing beautiful beans. Your English in your emails has been wonderful. I feel like I'm writing to someone in Chicago. So glad your are here. Anything you have to say about your beans and gardens in very welcomed here. Post anything you have to say and photos are welcome too.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
i did water them in and now they're getting another good soaking from some well-needed rain.
You need rain ! All of lower Michigan doesn't even register on the drought monitor. These northern tier of counties in Illinois that border Wisconson have been in drought all last year. Here were are almost the middle of another year and we are still abnorally dry. That's according to the U.S. Drought Monitar. Not scolding, just saying :). Of course you need to water a little to get new seed in the ground moist enough to germiante and break above the soil surface. I haven't planted anything here yet and I'm tempted but wondering what might happen if I do. Some of the seed samples I plan to put in the ground are all there is of them. Newly acquired ones at one time that haven't been grown out yet.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
You need rain ! All of lower Michigan doesn't even register on the drought monitor. These northern tier of counties in Illinois that border Wisconson have been in drought all last year. Here were are almost the middle of another year and we are still abnorally dry. That's according to the U.S. Drought Monitar. Not scolding, just saying :). Of course you need to water a little to get new seed in the ground moist enough to germiante and break above the soil surface. I haven't planted anything here yet and I'm tempted but wondering what might happen if I do. Some of the seed samples I plan to put in the ground are all there is of them. Newly acquired ones at one time that haven't been grown out yet.

it hasn't really rained here for a few weeks, the clay is cracking. today it has rained here two times so far and just starting to rain again - more rain in the forecast for tomorrow.

i wouldn't plant any rare beans this early. i planted some Purple Dove seeds (which i have about 20lbs from the last few year's bulk bean plantings) - no danger of those being lost. :)

with these rains in the forecast the farmers have been out busy plowing and planting the past week.