2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 18

Liscek - Pole Dry- 2022

I acquired this bean in December 2019 from a grower in Willich, Germany. I've grown it every season since I've had it which is three times so far. The bean is very productive and produces nice quality beans.

Liscek-FB.jpg
Liscek - Pole Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Logan Giant - Pole Snap - 2022

A very productive West Virginia heirloom. A bit later in drying down seed than many of the other pole beans I grow but it's still makes it under the wire with a little vine snipping adjustment.

Logan Giant-FB.jpg
Logan Giant - Pole Snap

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Mascarade De Briel Roya - Pole Dry - 2022

Another of the several network beans I grew this year. It didn't do well for me this year but I know it is a produtive bean that produces nice quality beans. It did very well two years ago for a grower in Iowa. The bean comes from a grower in Valpiano, Italy.

Mascarade De Briel Roya-FB.jpg
Mascarade De Briel Roya - Pole Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Mazeppa- Bush Dry - 2022

An original named bean of the late Robert Lobitz of Paynesville, Minnesota. Robert released this bean through a listing in the Seed Savers Exchange yearbook about 20 years ago. This year was my second growing of the bean since acquiring it from Lisa Bloodnik of Appalachin, New York in 2017. Productive bean with plants about 15 inches tall (38 cm). 10 plants produced 11.15 ounces of beans (316 gm).

Mazeppa-FB.jpg
Mazeppa - Bush Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 it seems that Robert used Koronis in a lot of names for beans do you happen to know if that means anything in specific?
There is a large lake just south of Paynesville, Minnesota where Robert lived called Koronis lake. The lake also has three islands in the lake hence the name of one of his beans Koronis Three Islands and he used Koronis as you have seen on many other of his named beans.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a large lake just south of Paynesville, Minnesota where Robert lived called Koronis lake. The lake also has three islands in the lake hence the name of one of his beans Koronis Three Islands and he used Koronis as you have seen on many other of his named beans.

ah, ok thanks! yes, I grew KTI this season (and will be sending you some back when i get my package together in the next few weeks).

KTI looks similar to Mazeppa but not as much white in it (perhaps crossed with one of his pinto variants?).

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@BeanieQueen I was hoping to get some of your help with translations? Wondering if I am correct?

Mooreskonigin - "Queen of the Moor" ???
Halbohne Reiser - "Half way Traveller" ???
Watchelbohne - "Quail Bean" ???
Quedlinberger Speck - "A Bacon Sandwich from Quedlinberg" ???
Blaue Meerbarbe - "Blue Mullet" ???
Kartoffel Bohne - "Potato Beann" ???
Meuch - "Much" ???
Schafermadle - "Shepherd Girl" ???
Not all that bad, dear @heirloomgal ! You hit it several times.

Mooreskönigin = correct!
Halbohne Reiser: syllable Hal I don't know (yet), bean is clear, and Reiser is another word (more used in Bavaria and Austria) for twig, because of their height they need/appreciate some support by twigs.
Wachtelbohne = correct!
Quedlinburger Speck(bohne) = I am very much for renaming it into "A Bacon Sandwich from Quedlinburg"! Yes, Speck means bacon, because they are soooooo delicious being fried in a pan along with bacon. Quedlinburg is an old, charming little town in eastern Germany, first mentioned in the records in 922.
Blaue Meerbarbe = correct Blue Sea-barb (Barbe is translated as barb - so: very similar to mullet) Your questions do also improve my English now!
Kartoffelbohne = correct!
Meuch: no translation. Some (rare) family name.
Schäfermädle = correct! (Mädle is a regional word e.g. in Swabia and Alemannia (South Western region of Germany) for girlie/lass(ie)
:)

Latest posts