2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Triffid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Atlas (wax) produced seeds with slightly different shapes and patterns, seemingly dependent on when they were harvested. The top row looks similar to the seeds I received from @Artorius . They were collected in the hotter part of the season, whereas the bottom row was collected after more rains and cooler temperatures. There were a few very flat seeds in the later collection.
Looking forward to growing this one again 👍

atlas hilum pattern.jpg

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Was the 2022 season shorter than average for you @Bluejay? I don't remember those being very late maturing last year when I grew them, but it was a looong summer for us last year, maybe that's why they didn't seem late.
I don't thiink this season was shorter than average. Rio Zape is just a late maturing bean. I need to do something like you do and start them early in small containers. Keep them in the sun during the day then when I'm ready to plant every other variety transfer the Rio Zape to the garden. I need to start Snow on The Mountain that way and the Ping Zebra related limas.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 23

Nebraska Sunset - Semi Runner Dry - 2022

Network bean. I think I was told they were bush types but my grow out all resulted in short semi runners. The growth on this bean seemed very poor possibly it was having the same trouble with the soil that some other varieties were having. There was only one very small true bush in the grow out and it produced only a few infatesimal seed that I will try in a flowerpot next season. The first grow out and naming was done by a grower in Illinois and named in 2018. The pattern on this bean reminds me of a bean called Tarahumara Purple Ojos.

Nebraska Sunset-FB.jpg
Nebraska Sunset - Short Semi Runner

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Rockwell - Bush Dry - 2022

Moderately productive. Seems the bean has grown better in past years. An heirloom from the Coupeville area of Central Whidbey Island in WA, it is named after the late 1800's pioneer Elisha Rockwell who brought it to the area from Maine. Total seed from 10 plants was 5 ounces (170 gm)

Rockwell - FB.jpg
Rockwell - Bush Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Roz Picat - Semi Runner Dry - 2022

Network bean. Pretty seed coat but the bean didn't produce a lot of seed. I only had six seeds to plant and it produced 2.70 ounces (76.54 gm) A Joseph Simcox collected bean donated to me by Chase Krug of Marion, Iowa when he was in high school. His parents are members of the Seed Savers Exchange.

Roz Picat-FB.jpg
Roz Picat - Semi Runner - Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Sacre Bleu - Semi Runner Dry - 2022

Developed from a German bean called Dwarf Blue that had inconsistent characteristics by Lisa Bloodnick of Applachia, New York. A very frequently requested bean on my website.

Sacre Bleu-FB.jpg
Sacre Bleu - Semi Runner - Dry

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

Sacre Bleu - Semi Runner Dry - 2022

Developed from a German bean called Dwarf Blue that had inconsistent characteristics by Lisa Bloodnick of Applachia, New York. A very frequently requested bean on my website.

View attachment 53698
Sacre Bleu - Semi Runner - Dry

i'm glad you are getting consistent results with your line as mine has not given back many full blue seeds. i won't replant it again either as it is a pole bean. if you ever see a bush version of this one i'd like it even more. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Babcia Aniela; thanks again to @Artorius .

So round 😵‍💫 I don't know why but they immediately remind me of the roly-poly woodlouse.
They certainly roly-poly their way off the table when one is trying to capture a photo...
View attachment 53694

one reason i've kept trying to grow Fort Portal Jade is the shape of the bean (aside from the unique color). when i was cleaning my room a few weeks ago i found yet another escapee from those so it was able to join it's friends in the container again. it had managed to bounce up onto the edge of the base along the wall under my desk. at least it hadn't gone down the heating grate... :)