2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 56252 - This looks like Lila Stuart. Very nice looking seed. Sometimes I get a nice crop of these and some years LS doesn't do so well. I think it also has a lot to do with the soil you plant it in.

View attachment 56247 - Wow this is very pretty. I don't recall seeing this in any of my grow outs.

View attachment 56246 - Love your outcrosses. The flat finish on this one looks really neat.

I wonder what is with Frost. Perhaps it's just a difficult variety to grow or find the right climate and soil that seems to suite it.

I got the Davis from a fellow in Kansas that was a member of SSE. He passed away I think in 2019. Same fellow that I had gotten all the Lobitz Legacy beans from in 2015. I had several samples of Davis in the freezer and every time I sent one out nothing ever came back. I have one sample of Davis 13 seeds from 2018 in the freezer.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 56246 - Love your outcrosses. The flat finish on this one looks really neat.

i have some flat gray with the black stripes on them like that too, some have a bit of white around the eye (from the Peregion blend that has spun off many variants/out-crosses).

the last picture is wonderful! :) @saritabee :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
View attachment 56246 - Love your outcrosses. The flat finish on this one looks really neat
I agree @saritabee , this is a very pretty & unique bean. Until I joined LEBN I had no idea that beans could have different finishes. I thought they all had the same thing, until I saw a matte bean and then grew Alubias di Tolosa which can look almost mirror like. I wonder if the matte beans have less stable genetics since there seem to be so few of them like that.

19 more days to go.

@Artorius what criteria do your beans need to meet to be on the indoor growing list?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree @saritabee , this is a very pretty & unique bean. Until I joined LEBN I had no idea that beans could have different finishes. I thought they all had the same thing, until I saw a matte bean and then grew Alubias di Tolosa which can look almost mirror like. I wonder if the matte beans have less stable genetics since there seem to be so few of them like that.

19 more days to go.

@Artorius what criteria do your beans need to meet to be on the indoor growing list?

did you miss this post? :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
View attachment 56252 - This looks like Lila Stuart. Very nice looking seed. Sometimes I get a nice crop of these and some years LS doesn't do so well. I think it also has a lot to do with the soil you plant it in.

View attachment 56247 - Wow this is very pretty. I don't recall seeing this in any of my grow outs.

I wonder what is with Frost. Perhaps it's just a difficult variety to grow or find the right climate and soil that seems to suite it.

I got the Davis from a fellow in Kansas that was a member of SSE. He passed away I think in 2019. Same fellow that I had gotten all the Lobitz Legacy beans from in 2015. I had several samples of Davis in the freezer and every time I sent one out nothing ever came back. I have one sample of Davis 13 seeds from 2018 in the freezer.
I couldnt get one Frost seedling to germinate last year. Which was frustrating as i enjoy the English heirloom beans. I dug them up and found they just sort of swelled some and turned to mush.i wonder if the seed has lost all viability?

Latest posts