Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
....would smell as schweet! Planted a new rose bush this evening. Now, I'm not one that has ever fooled with growing roses and such, I never had much luck with them. We have one rose here that can't be killed and blooms all year and even after frost, but I don't know the name or type. We have another rose that almost died but came back from the dead, it only gets a few canes on it and the blooms are pretty but it doesn't do much.

So, tonight I planted a floribunda rose called Angel Face. Got it at Rural King for $4, thought it was a good deal and really pretty, sure hope it survives and actually blooms. Here's a pic of this type of rose....

angel-face-floribunda-rose_medium.jpg

It's supposed to be an especially fragrant rose, so I planted it near the front porch. I don't like having plants I have to baby along with this or that additive, so I hope it's hardy and thrives on our few and spartan attempts to grow flowers around here.

Anyone ever grow this rose? Touchy or does it go along fine pretty much on its own?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Beekissed I love the color, and fragrant BONUS. I don't grow many roses now in fact I just took out a few, too big for my small garden. I still have a couple of David Austin's 'Constance Spry', 'Graham Thomas' and 'Abraham Darby' all climbers and the rambler 'Albertine'. Last fall with my hubby's help I took out a humongous 'Mayor of Casterbridge' another climber. Chopped into pieces and hauled off to the local land fill, it was a truck full.
Last year the canes grew like they were on steroids and I was having trouble keeping it tied back to the side of the house, one of it's giant canes broke it's restrains and hit me from behind, I happened to be bending over at the time so you know where it speared me. Needless to say it stung :rant, two hours later it was GONE . I'm slowly getting around to my hubby's opinion of roses, "The only thing he thinks roses are good for is keeping lions out of African villages".
Annette

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Angel Face is pretty! And in my book if a rose isn't fragrant then it's not worth messing with. Roses perform differently in different climates, but generally floribundas are hardy and not too fussy. I would say that humidity can dispose it towards powdery mildew, so take the usual cultural precautions against encouraging
that and you should be good.

If you're a coffee drinker then the grounds tossed down around it will be appreciated for the earthworms they encourage.
Four bucks is a super deal!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was also going to say that your rose that died and came back is probably now growing on the root stock that supported the graft. Rose root stocks are often not
known for their attractive nor abundant blooms

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed I love the color, and fragrant BONUS. I don't grow many roses now in fact I just took out a few, too big for my small garden. I still have a couple of David Austin's 'Constance Spry', 'Graham Thomas' and 'Abraham Darby' all climbers and the rambler 'Albertine'. Last fall with my hubby's help I took out a humongous 'Mayor of Casterbridge' another climber. Chopped into pieces and hauled off to the local land fill, it was a truck full.
Last year the canes grew like they were on steroids and I was having trouble keeping it tied back to the side of the house, one of it's giant canes broke it's restrains and hit me from behind, I happened to be bending over at the time so you know where it speared me. Needless to say it stung :rant, two hours later it was GONE . I'm slowly getting around to my hubby's opinion of roses, "The only thing he thinks roses are good for is keeping lions out of African villages".
Annette

:lol: I'll have to agree with him there, AM! You guys must have soil that is just crack for roses for them to grow that big! :th

We have crappy soil here, so they are lucky to survive. I love how roses look but am not a fan of the thorns either. :eek:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was also going to say that your rose that died and came back is probably now growing on the root stock that supported the graft. Rose root stocks are often not
known for their attractive nor abundant blooms

Fortunately it didn't die all the way, as it came back on just a few lonely canes and made a comeback. It looks and blooms just like it did before, so I'm thinking it didn't die back to the root stock. It's some kind of tea rose, I think.

Thanks for the info on this new rose...it was so pretty and so very cheap that I had to try it. Okay to give it some mulched, old cow manure? That did wonders for our butterfly bush.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Africa?

I know we have wild roses here but those aren't the domesticated ones folks are so interested in. The "teas" are from southern China, as I understand.

For a guy who spent several years working in a rose greenhouse, I'm not good with them outdoors. This isn't southern China. The nearest "City of Roses" is Portland, Oregon. This isn't Portland, either! Still, some local gardeners do a pretty good job with roses.

I will say that the rambling rose that I nearly killed 12 months ago, putting in that backyard fence --- had the most new growth last summer than any of the 20 years I've lived here!!!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fortunately it didn't die all the way, as it came back on just a few lonely canes and made a comeback. It looks and blooms just like it did before, so I'm thinking it didn't die back to the root stock. It's some kind of tea rose, I think.

Thanks for the info on this new rose...it was so pretty and so very cheap that I had to try it. Okay to give it some mulched, old cow manure? That did wonders for our butterfly bush.

Anything you would put on the vegetable garden can be put on a rose. Manure is great!

Latest posts