1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Donation Requests - Support Sumi's Health Recovery Fund - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

A Rose by any other name....

Discussion in 'Flowers & Roses' started by Beekissed, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Mar 12, 2016
    Chickie'sMomaInNH

Chickie'sMomaInNH Garden Master

i've been eyeing some of the roses on David Austin's website. today is the last day for 20% off and i really want a couple of nearly thorn-less climbers. i'm trying to restrain myself but i want a couple!

2. Mar 12, 2016
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Go for it Chickie's! You deserve them. :D

Mary

3. Mar 12, 2016
    Chickie'sMomaInNH

yeah, but i just got my fruit tree rootstock today so i need to hold back on the spending till i have a place to put them. i have too many plans and nothing has been started for them to grow on.

4. Mar 12, 2016
    aftermidnight

aftermidnight Garden Addicted

@Chickie'sMomaInNH I love David Austin Roses and most of them have delicious fragrances, try to buy them on their own roots if possible, if you have a bad winter all is not lost they will come back from the roots. 'Constance spry' although only blooms once covers a good part of the side of the house outside our kitchen window.
    DSCN5426.JPG

DSCN2509.JPG

Graham Thomas is a lovely yellow with a good fragrance, I just moved it but had it sprawling through some perennials
    DSCN2499.JPG

DCP_1366.JPG

And another favorite, Abraham Darby, only have a closeup, I think this is my favorite and it's a repeat bloomer as is Graham Thomas.
    DSCN0802.JPG

The one we just took out, The Mayor of Casterbridge.
    DSCN0760.JPG

There's some really nice red ones too but my taste seems to run to the Pastels.
    They all have thorns but some are worse than others, like Gertrude Jekyll, an absolutely gorgeous rose but oh, so thorny.
    Annette

Jared77, Larisa, pjn and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mar 12, 2016
    Chickie'sMomaInNH

i have been looking at the pastels too. the one i am thinking of getting is The Generous Gardener since it is an appropriate addition to any garden just for the name. I wanted to get another Zepherine Drouin since i didn't move it to this house when we moved but that is the darkest pink i'd want to go-not really a DA rose but they are selling it. i eventually want to get a Munstead Wood but that is not a climber, i just like the smell of them. Wollerton Old Hall is a short climber but it is pretty.

i bought a tea rose last year because it was in bloom when i saw it. it's called Sugar Moon & has a beautifully intense white color. it smells wonderful too. i haven't had much luck with tea roses in the past but it could be they are just not hardy for this area. this rose didn't want to go dormant due to our crazy Fall last year so i am hoping it will come back to life. it had a few blooms that were opening when we got hit with the first snow storm. :hu

6. Mar 12, 2016
    aftermidnight

aftermidnight Garden Addicted

'The Generous Gardener', I had to look that one up, it's lovely, such a delicate shade of pink. What I like about D.A's is their old rose elegance that along with their enticing fragrance makes them just right for a cottage garden :).
    Annette

7. Mar 12, 2016
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

I got The Generous Gardener a couple of years ago. I'm not crazy about the color. I've thought of replacing it but feeling wasteful for some reason.

Mary

8. Mar 12, 2016
    Chickie'sMomaInNH

did it have a nice fragrance to it? oh, and did it have a lot of thorns?

9. Mar 12, 2016
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Ooops, I made a mistake. I have The Lady Gardener. Fragrance is nice and has about the same amount of thorns as all rose bushes.

Mary

10. Mar 12, 2016
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    My MIL told me that when she was young (1920's-1930's), and the milk wagon pulled by the horse came by and dropped a pile, ALL of the neighbors who grew roses ran out with their shovels to take their fill, which they immediately applied around the roots of their roses. I've added straight, fresh horse manure to MY roses and it indeed, doesn't burn them, but fertilizes and helps tamp down anything else growing right next to the roses' roots. Go for it.

Beekissed likes this.