Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gave the roses a good feed of composted cow manure and old straw today....gave all the other perennials, vines and shrubs the same. The new rose has a few new growths on it with a show of tiny leaves...that bodes well.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tip from a well know rose grower, place a banana peel under each bush. He takes care of a large public rose gardens and eats a banana with lunch every day.

I can do that!!! :thumbsup I had given them wood ash earlier on in the year but I may give them a little more...they are in some pretty acidic soil.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can see that. The wood ash has good potassium too, so that can't hurt. I know they like bone meal but I can't see myself buying something for roses, so I will just give them some egg shells and be done with it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
They'll be fine. Roses really aren't difficult, and most of them bloom even when abused. I expect yours will give you lots of sweet blossoms for many years.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got three more of those bargain priced roses...another Angel Face, a tea rose called Chicago Peace and a salmon climber, the name of which I can't recall right now. Will plant them out this evening or tomorrow. Hope they do well! I'll feed them plenty of composted chicken bedding and see how they go.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've been eyeing some of the roses on David Austin's website. today is the last day for 20% off and i really want a couple of nearly thorn-less climbers. i'm trying to restrain myself but i want a couple!
Buy, buy,buy, buy!!!!! You looked to us to stop you. ?
My MIL told me that when she was young (1920's-1930's), and the milk wagon pulled by the horse came by and dropped a pile, ALL of the neighbors who grew roses ran out with their shovels to take their fill, which they immediately applied around the roots of their roses. I've added straight, fresh horse manure to MY roses and it indeed, doesn't burn them, but fertilizes and helps tamp down anything else growing right next to the roses' roots. Go for it.

hahahahahaha

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My MIL told me that when she was young (1920's-1930's), and the milk wagon pulled by the horse came by and dropped a pile, ALL of the neighbors who grew roses ran out with their shovels to take their fill, which they immediately applied around the roots of their roses. I've added straight, fresh horse manure to MY roses and it indeed, doesn't burn them, but fertilizes and helps tamp down anything else growing right next to the roses' roots. Go for it.
My Dad told a similar story of his Dad running out to get the horse manure on the streets of NYC. Nearly 100 years ago. He told a tale of his Dad fighting with a neighbor because the pile was on the property line between the 2 homes. Fighting over ****!

Latest posts