Already off to a bad start

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I would use an electric fence. It's the only way I'm able to maintain a cutting garden for a client.

I use a solar powered charger in the open areas, and a great little D-cell battery operated one in the more treed areas.

Works awesome. I only wish I had set up dh's game cam to capture those moments when the deer were getting trained.

An Electric Fence ( charger ) does work ```

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have worked at socializing my dogs. Friends know not to fear them, strangers don't. My dogs are friendly, but will rush the fence barking at strangers, one look and nobody wants to open that gate! Friends open the gate, drive in, close the gate, the dogs are ok with them.
Size does matter people will not challenge a big dog, can be a pussy cat and still be a guard dog

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
5/24

Mixed news

On the bad side, something has been playing lumberjack with the sprouts in the big pot on the side (biting off plants at the base without eating them). So far I have lost both peas, at least one grass pea and at least one vetch.

On the better side, I now have LOTS of azuki sprouts in the pots including one or two in the black seeded pot which is particularly important (as long as that herb shop keeps getting its mung beans from the same source each winter, I can sort of always hope for a few additional mottled azuki seed each year to replace what doesn't grow. But with it appearing as if whatever rice bean source I was taking the other colors from has either stopped producing or at least has purged its fields of the azukis, what I have planted is all the seed I can reasonably hope for.)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I HATE it when something has bit off my sprouts. Crows especially irritate me, they pull up corn sprouts, eat the kernel off and the plant dies. Grrrrr.....

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
all i can say is hang in there and remember that most of what you are selecting out of bulk seeds would probably have just been eaten anyways. try to have fun and relax a little. :) :hugs

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Finally some flowers
getPart

Third generation Blackberry Sorbet pansy

getPart

Grasspea

Speaking of grasspea it turns out that I will have backup seed supply. Laksmi (one of the big packing companies of Indian bulk grains and seeds) has gotten a bad batch of lentils again (this seems to happen a lot with them) and there is some grasspea seed in there.

Latest posts