Garden Master
Reaction score
getPart

Azuki harvest begun

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner ,

Do you have the premium photobucket account?

I believe that is the only option for embedding photobucket photos on forums.

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner ,

Do you have the premium photobucket account?

I believe that is the only option for embedding photobucket photos on forums.

Steve

No, that would cost money I don't have.

*cheers!*

i can see it now when i click on the link. can't tell if the change in color i see on them is from the texture or from actual color difference in the seed coat...

It's actually the latter. Like all seed I grow these azukis are odd. They actually HAVE black and white mottled seed coats (as opposed to the normal unmottled red one normally seeds)

If the other two pots ever get around to making flowers/pods those should be such colors as red with black mottling, green with mottling and jet black/blue.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Normally no, my harvests are so small I have to save everything for seed just to have enough to plant again. But sometimes, when it is the end of the year and I'm cleaning up (or a plant gets broken) I find a pod that is too young to produce savable seed and those I will often chew on to test taste. Somewhere in my potential mixes I have found a few things that are unusual of taste, like some cow peas whose pods are abnormally sweet (critters ate all of the re-plant but I remember what the seed looked like so I can recognize it if I see it again.)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have no idea (obviously) if these taste any different from a red azuki, but I am fairly sure that there would be one MAJOR difference if one were to offer it in the general market; it would be all but unsalable. The bias for red is not some sort of random choice. This is China we are talking about and in China red=good luck . There is a reason they are called "red beans" in Chinese. To be salable on the market, and azuki more or less NEEDS to be red; nothing else will do*

It's like with some soybeans I was working with once that I found made a very good soy milk. No matter how tasty the milk was, the fact that the beans (and therefore the milk) was GREEN meant it's future on the market was dubious at best.

*I have read about white azukis being offered once (possibly for uses where the flavor of azuki's is wanted but it needs to be dyed a different color) But whether these are really white (or more likely cream) or just peeled I have no clue.

Latest posts