Any handy tips for getting rid of smoke smell?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny story, a week or so ago when we installed the gas range the first thing cooked was bacon. The gas range got so hot it set off fire alarm in hallway lol. We were not ready for how much hotter the gas is. I told her it reminded me of when we were first married lol.
Be careful of the high flame-I had a grease fire that could have taken the whole house had I not stopped screaming fast enough to put it out with husband's help.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Be careful of the high flame-I had a grease fire that could have taken the whole house had I not stopped screaming fast enough to put it out with husband's help.

No kidding we adjusted the flame on each burner with a screwdriver per directions, but wow. She never cooks on high now, even medium with the gas is hot.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
No kidding we adjusted the flame on each burner with a screwdriver per directions, but wow. She never cooks on high now, even medium with the gas is hot.

i grew up cooking with open flame/gas stove. i really liked it for some things (especially when i was hungry for a marshmallow burnt to a crisp :) ), but now i'm so used to electric coil heaters it's quite a change. for very low heat settings where you want something to just simmer without much chance of burning that is the toughest spot IMO. a metal slab between can help with that. most modern pans are not thick enough for direct fire. which reminds me, i still need another iron skillet. one is just not enough... i really miss my old friends who had one that could fit over all four burners at once. you could do a few chickens at a time on that thing. heavy monster...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew up on wood cook stove, then gas range and those seem easier to adjust the heat on than electric ranges to me. I never can gauge the heat on the electric stoves, so end up burning things on them. Gas is easy...what you see is what you get.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew up on wood cook stove, then gas range and those seem easier to adjust the heat on than electric ranges to me. I never can gauge the heat on the electric stoves, so end up burning things on them. Gas is easy...what you see is what you get.

When I installed the gas range I had to adjust the flame on each burner. What I did was turn the burner on to low then pull the knob off and there is a small screwdriver slot in the stem and you adjust flame down until it is barely visible and that it on each burner. You adjust the low end so you can simmer and and keep things warm without burning. I not sure what hi flame is for lol, maybe just for scorching pans. DW wanted to get gas range to help with canning and it will surely be a super upgrade for that. Also the oven has convection setting, which bakes much faster and more even. We have always had electric so the gas is a whole new world for her to learn and she love it already.

Latest posts