At The Table

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
24, some of them on a dare lol.

for me i'm pretty sure at least one was under the influence too... :)

frog legs were ok and like @digitS' said, close enough to chicken and since i don't much like chicken anyways it's not a problem for me to leave them alone. i much prefer froggies in the ditches, ponds, etc.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sardines and spam were both eaten at a church competition. Both had also been been sitting in cans in the July sun for several hours. I doubt I could choke down either of them again after that.

it actually sounds really good to me right now as i've not had Spam or sardines for some time and i like both of them about any way i've ever had them (including candied Spam with green curry added to give it some heat).

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sheesh I thought I was doing well with 17! But like most of you, there are a lot not on the list I have tried, like gator turtle, camel, and kangaroo.
If It has just said, "snake" it would have been 18 since I have had python.
Chinatown has been good for trying a lot of exotica. It's where I had tortoise and duck blood. Not that I can recommend either much (tortoise is like chewy chicken, and duck or pig blood stir fried is only good if you really like the taste of organ meats.)

For those just starting there are always these people.

http://www.newportjerkycompany.com/exotic-jerky-1/

Their method of preparation makes most of them go down pretty easy (though snapping turtle and any of the sea jerkies still taste pretty fishy.) Oh and camel is very chewy and ropy.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I feel a little strange admitting to some of the things that I have eaten ... @Marie2020 , the one time that I had snail, I couldn't taste anything except garlic! If you like sauerkraut, and can take a little spiciness, you may like kim chi.

I don't know about possum, raccoon, and beavers @Alasgun but I think that duck is always in our supermarkets. There were just a couple of quail across the road a minute ago, tormented by a neighbor's cat - there are probably too many cats nearby to get back to when quail were daily in our yard. Of course, they were once daily in my garage - the domestic Coturnix quail. They were little egg-laying machines!

Blue cheese? Adventurous? I used to live in a part of California dairy country and had lots of interesting cheeses! Liederkranz became a favorite and I fully understand that not everyone will like Limburger and Liederkranz.

These aren't the sort of things that I would be shy about - maybe, the Spam but that's on the shelves, also ;). Ya know, tripe is not only common in Mexican dishes but also an ingredient in several canned soups. You might be surprised! Eating with Southeast Asian families has, at times, been an interesting experience. Once, I was invited to dinner right after a cow had been butchered. The men ate first so I'm trying to finish and move out of the ladies' way. There's some sort of combination meat and vegetable dish. The vegetable seems kinda like "grass." Didn't taste bad, well cooked ... finishing it quickly, I realize the meat is tripe ... and the "grass?" Well of course, it's grass (from the same part of the cow ;))!

Steve
I've read about Kim chi, if I ever find another descent cabbage I will try to make this. I love chili's and will look up a recipe. Keeping a jar in my kitchen ready ;)

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Kimchi and sauerkraut are available here at Trader Joes. The only fermented foods I've made are sauerkraut and cortido. I love to eat both homemade best, but the Kimchi at TJs is pretty good! I want to try fermenting some wild sea asparagus or bull kelp this year!

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
it actually sounds really good to me right now as i've not had Spam or sardines for some time and i like both of them about any way i've ever had them (including candied Spam with green curry added to give it some heat).
I really like some brands of wild caught sardines in olive oil. They are tasty with crackers! I wouldn't be able to eat them in a competition though as more than one can would make me sick! :)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Speaking of odd things at the table.....

A few weeks ago, I bought a package of country ham (as in prosciutto type ham) from my local cheese shop. On the instructions it said "cook to 165 degrees" So I did even though I have NEVER heard of HAVING to cook country ham. As I suspected it came out terrible, a dry super salty mess.

So when I went back, I mentioned this, and they were as baffled as I was why they would include such a instruction. They assured me that the ham was as edible uncooked as any other country ham and I got another pack. Not saying I LIKED it (even raw it was way saltier than such a ham should be) but at least it tasted sort of like ham (the balance of the pack is in the refrigerator waiting for me to make something where it's saltiness will be usable, like Shanghai Winter Melon Soup.

Now I just have to remember to tell them that from now on they have to slice the fuet I buy, as they are now too hard to cut or chew.

Latest posts