Baking~ Are you```

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is from an old thread.

Here you go Cane-

This is from a whole wheat cookbook that my grandma Nathalie gave me when I was 18.

QUICK 2-HOUR BUTTER CRUST BREAD

3 cups warm water
3 pkgs. yeast
1/3 cup honey
3 Tbsp. oil

6-61/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp. salt
1 cup powdered milk

Mix water, yeast, honey, and oil.
Sift dry ingredients together and add to first mixture.
(sift? I just stir the flour well before I measure)
[Also, you probably know to add flour gradually, stirring well between each addition, and only add enough to make it workable when you knead. More flour is added on the kneading board as you work it.]

Let stand in warm place for 15 minutes.

Knead well for 10 minutes.

Form into loaves and place into 2 well greased loaf pans.

(you can form them into rounds and put them on a baking sheet if you like)

et rise in warm oven15 minutes (80-85 degrees)

*Remove bread from oven and heat to 350 degrees.

Replace bread in hot oven and bake 50-55 minutes. Brush top with butter.

*VERY IMPORTANT! Haha- learn from my experience. :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I use warm milk instead of water because I rarely have powdered milk on hand, and lots of times I use half whole wheat and half unbleached white.

ETA- I think that the amount of flour any bread recipe calls for is variable. It depends on the moisture content of the flour, the type of flour, stoneground, etc. So I just add flour until I get soft workable dough. It's better to add less, than more.

Let me just vouch for this recipe! YUMMY BREAD!!!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Made pies for the first time this weekend. I don't know why I've never done it before...
Is it cheating to use the frozen 'already in the pan' crust for the bottom and the 'thaw & unroll' crust for the tops??
Doesn't matter - my pies, my rules. :p

The lattice top is apple with LOTS of cinnamon and some nutmeg, all spice and brown sugar.
The 'crazy cat lady' pie (I only have 2 cookie cutters, a gingerbread person and a sitting kitty) is the same apple mix with a lot of dried cranberries added
2017 pies.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The girls and I made pizzelles today. They are not traditionally dyed, but we felt extra festive. :) We made ours with orange and vanilla extract too. Somebody got a lil' carried away with the powdered sugar... :confused:

i seem to recall anisette being around for some of those... vaguely... *hic* i don't really drink much anymore but i do love all the various flavors and sweets/liquors are so yum even if just a little for sipping though a long evening. when i was making chocolates on a regular basis i had a nice shelf of these.

the last bottle of anisette i had was the very cheap stuff and i never finished it, but dumped it out in a garden instead. figured the sugars are always going to be digested eventually by the yeasts and then the worms would eat up the bacteria.

p.s. if you've read this far, i was trying to make some good italian sausage and have yet to get the recipe down. i only like the sweet kind with the anise/fennel flavorings. never been able to duplicate the kind from up north that i really loved.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
and those lemon cakes... i never had any that evening. so the will power won out, but i'm pretty sure i had enough chocolate chip cookie dough the next day to obliterate that small gain.

the lemon cakes start with a boxed mix, but then Mom adds lemon pudding mix, lemon oil, lemon juice and lemon zest and lemon juice to the icing. they are intense...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@canesisters sweet! :)

Mom is so funny, she can live off turkey stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy and the cranberry sauce after TG. me, first thing i eat later that night and then the next morning... pie. butter pecan ice-cream or any of the others with nuts seem to be my prime choices (maple walnut, chocolate almond, pistachio, ...) with or without hot fudge.

Latest posts