Baymule’s 2020 Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Xerocles make up a bucket of manure and water. Toss in a bit of fresh chicken poop if you have it. Stir vigorously. Let it set several days, stir it daily. Strain and dilute by half. Put the residue on the compost pile.

DSIL got a job as assistant principal in Odessa. They actually have to be out May 1. They found a house, going through builders lender, put 5% down and close May 4. Talk about timing! We sure are going to miss them, but are NOT going to West Texas.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Problem is that IF you follow kids while they are moving up the success ladder, he’s liable to get a principle job somewhere else. Tough to leave area with friends and place you have built back from grave. Sorry life has dealt you a set back. Why we are still here as don’t know where both kids will land. We

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is west texas bad?
I live in east Texas, lush green forests and pastures. For my area, average 48" of rainfall yearly. West Texas is ruggedly breathtaking, 5" of yearly rainfall. Forests? Ummm….. nope. Lush green pastures? Ummmm……. nope. In Odessa, where they are moving, they put up cinder block walls for backyard fencing to keep the rattlesnakes out. Ummm…… nope.

Like @seedcorn said, following them now probably wouldn't be a good idea. He will someday get a principle job and they will move. DD keeps saying that they might like it and decide to stay there......I think she is trying to talk herself into it, but I could be wrong. It is a good move for them. He tried around here for 2 years for a principle or assistant principle job and got no response. So he sent his application to every school district in Texas. Odessa called. God gives you opportunity, it is up to you to grab the chance or pass it by and then whine the rest of your life about it.

I figure we have another move to make. Maybe 4-5 years from now. I would consider central Texas, but I do like east Texas best. In the meantime, we'll be real happy right here.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
West Texas, it's a WHOLE 'nother country! I was a kid when we moved from there, but I remember the dust storms, storm shelters (for tornadoes), dust storms, flat with NO trees, dust storms, it does snow in the winter and did I mention dust storms? All that black dirt coating everything! You could hear it coming and see the dust clouds reaching to the sky long before it got to you. No matter what you did, it would get into your house and cover everything. I liked living there, but I was a kid. What did I know? Of course, that was 50 yrs ago. I'm sure it's much better now. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
West Texas, it's a WHOLE 'nother country! I was a kid when we moved from there, but I remember the dust storms, storm shelters (for tornadoes), dust storms, flat with NO trees, dust storms, it does snow in the winter and did I mention dust storms? All that black dirt coating everything! You could hear it coming and see the dust clouds reaching to the sky long before it got to you. No matter what you did, it would get into your house and cover everything. I liked living there, but I was a kid. What did I know? Of course, that was 50 yrs ago. I'm sure it's much better now. :)
Much better now? What, better dust storms?

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
LOL Always bigger & better in Texas!

Even though it's a good move for them, I know it will be hard on both of you when they move. :(

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL Always bigger & better in Texas!

Even though it's a good move for them, I know it will be hard on both of you when they move. :(
Especially when we moved here to be close to them to start with. They asked us to move too, but that ain't happening! Not only no, but HE!! NO! Can you see me trying to raise sheep on land that takes 50-100 acres to support one cow/calf unit? One cow unit equals 5 sheep animal units, so I would need about 150 acres for my 10 ewes and 1 ram. And that land ain't cheap either. Go figure.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Xerocles make up a bucket of manure and water. Toss in a bit of fresh chicken poop if you have it. Stir vigorously. Let it set several days, stir it daily. Strain and dilute by half. Put the residue on the compost pile.

DSIL got a job as assistant principal in Odessa. They actually have to be out May 1. They found a house, going through builders lender, put 5% down and close May 4. Talk about timing! We sure are going to miss them, but are NOT going to West Texas.

:hugs