Baymule’s 2021 Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have been busy! Got 50 Cornish Cross chicks February 24, then another 50 march 24, plus 8 layer chicks. Casualties in the CCX chicks reduced numbers to 34 in the first batch and to 48 in the second batch. The first batch is in a chicken tractor, moved daily and fed twice a day. Second batch is still in tubs on the porch. I’ve got to build them a chicken tractor (movable pen).

The garden has gotten away from me. It was tilled in February before it snowed. The grass and weeds are galloping away! We have got to get busy in the garden!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I asked for help with all the grass and weeds in the garden, so we can start planting. This is the help I got. Not quite what I pictured.

7CF0F9DA-F4BF-4DB9-87DB-69EFA2FB49BE.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Any help is better than no help!

I got some layer chicks too, but what I got isn't what I ended up with, lol.
What did you buy and what did you end up with?

I bought black sex links. TSC called them Marans sex links. So who knows what I got. They are black and are growing. That’s all I know.

henless

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It was labeled Blue Australorps. I love Australorps, and love the blue on a chicken. I had been thinking about ordering some, but I really didn't want 25 chicks. Until this year, there wasn't many places to get the blue ones. So, I got those.

Well, I had 'em about a week and got to noticing their legs. They looked strange. There was baby chick fuzz on them. So it seems what I've ended up with is Blue Marans. Pretty birds, but they don't lay like Australorps. I have 11 Blue Marans. At least 2 are roos.

Next year I'll probably bite the bullet and order some Blue Australorps. I see Ideal carries them now. I'll just have to order them early enough to get them in early March. I don't like to get chicks when it gets really warm. Too snaky.