Baymule’s Farm

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This house was ringed with old oaks when I made an offer on it. Shady, cool, inviting, but by the time we closed, they were dead from the snow and ice storm of 2021 and the following drought in 2022. I had them all cut down. Had a couple left, just had one cut down last week, now have one oak tree left. One. It’s looking mighty sad, it probably won’t last another year or two.

Then the thick woods next to me has been clear cut. All the trees are gone. My house looks so bare.

IMG_5149.jpeg

At least it will be easier to put up this fence, it’s all cleared now.

These are 2 huge American persimmon trees in the front field. When I get it fenced, the sheep will sure enjoy the persimmons that fall.

IMG_5152.jpeg

I walked out in the field yesterday and did not see Buford. Sheba and Sentry came to greet me and get petted, but no Buford. I scanned the field, no Buford. I started walking towards the front, and I found him. He was climbed up in the hay bale! Bad Buford! Get out of there!

IMG_5157.jpeg

Buford ram to me, got petted, Sheba too. They both laid down.

IMG_5158.jpeg

Tummy rub? How can I resist!

IMG_5159.jpeg

Sheep have been on dry lot for 3 months. Buford hasn’t had much sheep time. We’ve been just trying to survive the horrible heat. Buford and Sheba have spent the major part of the day in the front yard, under the porch where it is cool. Sentry has been in the house, in his crate. Carson has been sprawled out in the floor.
I stretched tarps in the 2 sheep lots, for shade. Finally it has cooled off. Finally we got rain, enough so I can let the sheep out to graze, a few hours a day.

Yesterday i walked the field with the sheep and dogs. It’s old hat to Sheba and Sentry and they went to the shade tree to take naps. Buford stayed with me and the sheep. I went inside and watched out the window. Buford clearly wanted to stay with the sheep. He walked through them, checking on the ewes. He ran through the flock, they scattered, but he wasn’t chasing them. He perceived danger, ran the far fence, barking. The sheep ran to the safety of the lot. Sheba and Sentry ram to the fence, barking too. I didn’t see or hear anything, but their senses are much sharper than mine. Sheba and Sentry returned to the shade tree, the sheep returned to the field to graze and Buford made his round, checking the sheep, then laid down in the middle of the flock so he could watch them. He is making one fine guardian.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This house was ringed with old oaks when I made an offer on it. Shady, cool, inviting, but by the time we closed, they were dead from the snow and ice storm of 2021 and the following drought in 2022. I had them all cut down. Had a couple left, just had one cut down last week, now have one oak tree left. One. It’s looking mighty sad, it probably won’t last another year or two.

Then the thick woods next to me has been clear cut. All the trees are gone. My house looks so bare.

View attachment 61227

These are 2 huge American persimmon trees in the front field. When I get it fenced, the sheep will sure enjoy the persimmons that fall.

View attachment 61228

I walked out in the field yesterday and did not see Buford. Sheba and Sentry came to greet me and get petted, but no Buford. I scanned the field, no Buford. I started walking towards the front, and I found him. He was climbed up in the hay bale! Bad Buford! Get out of there!

View attachment 61231

View attachment 61229

View attachment 61230
I can't resist Tummy rub, either. Buford is a fine guardian! Bay, next growing season you will have some lovely plants, I am sure.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

View attachment 61227

View attachment 61228

View attachment 61231

View attachment 61229

View attachment 61230

Sheep have been on dry lot for 3 months. Buford hasn’t had much sheep time. We’ve been just trying to survive the horrible heat. Buford and Sheba have spent the major part of the day in the front yard, under the porch where it is cool. Sentry has been in the house, in his crate. Carson has been sprawled out in the floor.
I stretched tarps in the 2 sheep lots, for shade. Finally it has cooled off. Finally we got rain, enough so I can let the sheep out to graze, a few hours a day.

Yesterday i walked the field with the sheep and dogs. It’s old hat to Sheba and Sentry and they went to the shade tree to take naps. Buford stayed with me and the sheep. I went inside and watched out the window. Buford clearly wanted to stay with the sheep. He walked through them, checking on the ewes. He ran through the flock, they scattered, but he wasn’t chasing them. He perceived danger, ran the far fence, barking. The sheep ran to the safety of the lot. Sheba and Sentry ram to the fence, barking too. I didn’t see or hear anything, but their senses are much sharper than mine. Sheba and Sentry returned to the shade tree, the sheep returned to the field to graze and Buford made his round, checking the sheep, then laid down in the middle of the flock so he could watch them. He is making one fine guardian.
That's sad about all the trees being gone, but at least you still have the two persimmon trees. Also the clear cut field will be re-planted so you will have young trees growing soon around your property. Will you be replanting new shade trees on your own property?

Looks like Buford found a cool and comfy spot atop the hay pile. That looks like good quality hay.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
A neighbor is giving me small redbud trees that have come up in his flower beds. I want a pecan tree in the front of the house, one in the back. I want to plant dogwoods too but will probably have to buy those. I want to plant apple trees out in the fields, fenced off while young so sheep don’t eat them. Fallen fruit won’t make a mess in the yard that way. Sheep can eat the fallen apples. I’m also thinking white mulberry trees for fast shade. I love live oaks and may plant some of those. I want berries and grapes.

I can’t do too much until I get basic infrastructure in and the old sheds and chicken coops torn down.

I will get the redbud trees and plant in the front yard, close to side fence so I have something pretty to look at. I love redbuds mingled with dogwoods.

And I want at least one weeping willow, maybe plant it by one of the ponds.

It will take me time, but eventually this will be a pretty place.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
And I want at least one weeping willow, maybe plant it by one of the ponds.

yes, but that hints at some thinking and mapping you might want to do for the drainage of the property before you plant trees/shrubs/buildings/etc. as some of those sure don't like wet feet for long.

It will take me time, but eventually this will be a pretty place.

i think it is beautiful as it is and that is because you call it home and all your loved critters are with you and you have good neighbors.

plants and trees will come along. grapes i would avoid until you really know where you want them for the long haul because of the several years it takes just to get them established and pruned.

other people see bare land and think it looks horrible but i see potential in so many ways.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug that is so sweet and heartfelt. Thank you so much. I do have a beautiful place and I do have wonderful neighbors. I am Blessed!

Note taken on the grapes. That’s why I don’t have a garden yet, I don’t want to do all that new ground work, then decide to move it.

When I plant something, I want it to be in its permanent place. So I will wait, get infrastructures in place so I can see flow of traffic-trucks, trailers, tractors. I’ll tear down old chicken coops, and sheds. Then I can “see” where I want things to go. Good idea on drawing a map!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My son got a few days off and came home. He usually takes his ‘89 F250 diesel on jobs because it’s easier on fuel $$$$ than his 2019 F350 King Ranch dually. But he’s kept his dually with him on this job. He is working south of New Orleans and there’s a whole lot of ocean south of New Orleans. It’s hurricane season and the F250 won’t pull his RV trailer. So he wants to be ready to hitch up and run to higher ground. But he’s coming back in 10 days to take classes and tests for one of the crane licenses he holds. No hurricanes threatening, so he left yesterday afternoon with the 1989.

About 5:00 he called, broke down. Was telling me how to take out the 5th wheel hitch and put in the gooseneck hitch. Then hitch up 32’ trailer, drive 4 hours into Louisiana and come get him. I’ve never hitched a gooseneck or pulled a 32’ trailer. I called my sister in law, so did son. LOL She came and brought her young neighbor who operates heavy equipment and is well versed in trailers. We hitched up and left, neighbor driving. Oh, brake lights, turn signals worked, no running lights. So we ram flashers the whole way.

4 hours later, we pulled into the Burger King in Crowley Louisiana. The throttle cable broke and he could only move in 4 WD in low, idle. He had to run down the shoulder on I-10 in idle speed, which ain’t no speed at all, for a couple of miles. The guys loaded the truck, strapped it down. We made like cow plop and hit the trail.

We got home at 3:30 AM this morning.

IMG_5167.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
After months of killer heat and being strapped down to the farm in order to keep dogs and sheep as cool as possible and putting out fresh water 4 times a day, in 100 to 112 degrees heat and drought, it is 49 degrees this morning!!!!!! It was 68 degrees in the house when I woke up. I went to bed with the AC set on 74.

While son was here, I had him get the propane heater out of the closet and hook it up. Don’t need it yet, but it’s ready when I need it.

Latest posts