Baymule’s Farm

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will crossbow kill vegetation when it’s dormant, now?
Does it kill mature trees? There are some I’d like to keep, how far away from “keepers” should I stay?

Yes there is an old barbed wire fence in that mess.

Spray the base? Leaves? Leaves are falling now. I was told to wait until spring, in March, to spray.

Thanks @seedcorn
Yes, wait till new growth appears. It won’t kill trees unless they are very small saplings. Mature trees are safe. Spray as much of the plant as you can-especially the leaves. You will have to look at label to see correct mix. For me, killing poison ivy is a constant battle because of the many roots.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, wait till new growth appears. It won’t kill trees unless they are very small saplings. Mature trees are safe. Spray as much of the plant as you can-especially the leaves. You will have to look at label to see correct mix. For me, killing poison ivy is a constant battle because of the many roots.

So, I’ll have to wait until March. Do I mix the Crossbow with water? What is the active ingredient in Crossbow?

If I can find somebody to take the big pine trees from that one short stretch, I can clean that up and fence that. Then that spot would be fenced on 3 sides and I could run a temporary hot wire fence across the open span. That would give me a little more grazing.

@ducks4you do you buy 24-D at the feed store?

I am a “spray” newbie thank both of you for your help.

How long will it take for the brush and briars to die and turn loose at the roots ? I was thinking I could set the bucket down at ground level and scrape stuff up with the tractor.

I also have some nasties growing on this place. A patch of thistle is making its appearance now. And I have silver leaf nightshade with bright orange berries the size of a quarter. I didn’t know what they were, I have a lot of that. I’m thinking spot spraying those with Grazon. I don’t want to spray the whole fields with Grazon because it will kill all the forbs that the sheep eat. Just grass is boring to a sheep and lacking in essential nutrients that those deep rooted weeds bring up from the depths. I saw some clover when I first looked at this place last April. Now I’m seeing Poor Joe, a weed they love, a small bit of hairy vetch and some Chickeeed.

The middle field they are in now had some bitterweed in it. The sheep didn’t eat the bitterweed, nothing does, but they nipped off the flowers! No flowers, no seed.

I’m watching and observing the changing seasons. I pasture walk and watch the sheep graze to see what they are eating. They will seasonally eat blackberry vines, they like new spring growth, then summer growth but not “old” late summer or fall leaves.

Bermuda, the “Golden Standard” grass of the South-they could care less. Maybe after I get this place fenced and cross fenced, I’ll get a steer calf to raise and run him ahead or behind the sheep, to eat all that darned Bermuda! Or maybe a couple of horses. I deeply miss my horses and haunt Craigslist and a couple of kill pens sites. Yes I am afflicted.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I couldn't find 2D-4 this year at ALL. I have bought "GroundClear." and that works well, but you always have to research.
I talk a LOT more of vegetative poisoning than I ever do.
Ha, ha--I had to pour out some old mixed 2D-4 last summer bc the sprayer nozzle died, and I was going to transfer to a new one. There was a cup left and I poured it directly on a tree of paradise growing right next to the barn in the corner. FINALLY killed it.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’ve been organic all my life, never using poison. This is a hard thing for me. At least I’m not a phobic raving lunatic, I have to recognize my limitations and I don’t have the YEARS it would take to chainsaw and machete hack my way through the fence rows. This fencing is going to be an enormous investment for me and I don’t take it lightly.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was working hard on building the shelves in the small utility room before Thanksgiving. Then when I had to cancel everything I lost my mojo. I didn’t HAVE to get it done, so I quit.

I’m BACK!

I have cut and painted shelf boards with Kilz this morning for the utility room. I cut the already painted 2x4’s for a closet, to anchor the clothes pole brackets on. I screwed them in place and screwed down the brackets. Those brackets will take a 1x12 shelf on them and there is room to put another shelf between it and the ceiling if needed. The clothes pole sticks out in the doorway. There are holes in the bracket hook, so I can put in a set screw to keep the pole from sliding out of place.

6EC3F90B-7A56-4AB4-85DE-728810AC4696.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
That’s real cool, but won’t work for me. Sheep and goat wire sits on the ground. In my situation, wire off the ground means predators will come under it, my dogs will go under it and leave the property to go after the predators. Lambs would go under wire also.

For a barb wire cattle or horse fence, that would be a handy gadget to have.

Last edited:

Latest posts