Baymule’s Farm

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sometimes people fall right into the perfect place with us.

Yesterday, we contacted yet another fence dude. Two others were no show and one did show, but never got back to us with a price (even after pinging him).

So these two men show up. Hubs shows them what we want. We've got a good feeling already, and then the younger man speaks a foreign language to the taller thinner man. I said: what language did you just speak? He said Ukrainian.

Turns out the taller thinner man escaped with his wife and Mother from Ukraine this past summer. They got sent to Mexico and then smuggled themselves up here to WA, where there is a huge contingent of Ukrainians. As a big supporter of the Ukrainian fight, I asked to hug the tall fella and did.

We hired them to dig the post holes, set the posts and then string the 14 gauge wire. Hubs will do the rest.

We were brought together for a reason!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sometimes people fall right into the perfect place with us.

Yesterday, we contacted yet another fence dude. Two others were no show and one did show, but never got back to us with a price (even after pinging him).

So these two men show up. Hubs shows them what we want. We've got a good feeling already, and then the younger man speaks a foreign language to the taller thinner man. I said: what language did you just speak? He said Ukrainian.

Turns out the taller thinner man escaped with his wife and Mother from Ukraine this past summer. They got sent to Mexico and then smuggled themselves up here to WA, where there is a huge contingent of Ukrainians. As a big supporter of the Ukrainian fight, I asked to hug the tall fella and did.

We hired them to dig the post holes, set the posts and then string the 14 gauge wire. Hubs will do the rest.

We were brought together for a reason!
Yes y’all were brought together for a reason!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
BAYMULE BUILT A TEXAS SNOWMAN

3F2136AE-D60A-4470-ACDE-2BD28B15117F.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw a Japanese Sweet Potato at the grocery store and I bought 2. It was so pretty, I thought if I liked it, I’d use the other one for sprouting slips.

What gorgeous color!

288182C6-155B-481E-AAAE-ED3E2BFBCD68.jpeg

I baked it and cut it in half, put other half in the refrigerator.

All the gorgeous color was on the outside. Inside was white. The picture looks yellow, but it’s white. I put some butter on it. It tasted like nothing. No flavor, no nothing. Yuck. I didn’t eat it, I threw it away. Tossed the uncooked one too. Too bad I don’t have chickens!

F48071A3-889B-469A-AE59-F265D49453E4.jpeg

So if y’all see a gorgeous violet Japanese Sweet Potato, take a pass on it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
So if y’all see a gorgeous violet Japanese Sweet Potato, take a pass on it.

i can't throw away food, but i'd likely put some butter and perhaps other things on it to get it eaten (garlic salt, hot sauce, cheese, yogurt, sour cream, oregano, ...). i mean after all that's the same way i eat most potatoes, rice or noodles...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
i can't throw away food, but i'd likely put some butter and perhaps other things on it to get it eaten (garlic salt, hot sauce, cheese, yogurt, sour cream, oregano, ...). i mean after all that's the same way i eat most potatoes, rice or noodles...
Nope. Not gonna make myself eat something I don’t like. Too bad I don’t have pigs or chickens.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope. Not gonna make myself eat something I don’t like. Too bad I don’t have pigs or chickens.

ha! :) i was just reading up on yacons and perhaps this is a variety of those? because they are supposed to sweeten up as they get more time in storage. anyways, yes, whatever is fine with me, but i'm just adding my two cents for anyone else who might end up having these vegetables and not knowing what to do with them if they can't abide the status quo...

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used to grow a purple variety sweet potato that had deep purple flesh. It was beautiful and was kind of sweet but the texture was so dense. Not nice and fluffy like a regular sweet potato. I have decided to grow the variety I enjoy eating.
That potato sure looked promising tho @baymule !

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’ve grown the dark purple sweet potatoes and liked them. I cubed them up, along with the regular orange ones, mixed with a little duck fat or lard, then sautéed until just starting to brown. Dumped in a mixing bowl, add orange segments and a little orange zest, pecans, a little brown sugar to taste, butter and bake in a casserole dish. Beautiful presentation (feast for the eyes) and delicious too!

Latest posts