Baymule’s Farm

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, silly city gal question here. Could you use sprinklers to water during the summer or is it still too hot for the grass to grow? If you use more water with sprinklers does your bill go way up? I see farmer's watering their alfalfa here even with our drought. Maybe it's different in Texas.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, silly city gal question here. Could you use sprinklers to water during the summer or is it still too hot for the grass to grow? If you use more water with sprinklers does your bill go way up? I see farmer's watering their alfalfa here even with our drought. Maybe it's different in Texas. Mary

i think @baymule is far enough out in the sticks where she has a well and doesn't have citified water...

as regulations/laws can vary in each area i'd also be curious if there are any restrictions she might have if she was to try to irrigate those large fields from a well (if she were to drill more to expand her use of an existing one or ...).

as far as i know there aren't any restrictions here for small holder wells, but above certain pumping limits some regulations/laws may kick in.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, silly city gal question here. Could you use sprinklers to water during the summer or is it still too hot for the grass to grow? If you use more water with sprinklers does your bill go way up? I see farmer's watering their alfalfa here even with our drought. Maybe it's different in Texas.

Mary
Not a silly question. There are irrigation fields with a long pipe arm that pivots in a circle with sprayers that water the plants. Expensive to set up, beyond my reach. Lots of them in Texas.

More questions haha. Will you keep all the ewes? How many rams will you keep if any?

Mary
No I won’t keep all the ewes. I will keep some, but with so many triplets, I can choose the best, sell the rest. I did have 2 registered ewes have triplets, I’ll keep their ewes.

@flowerbug on on community water here. My son has a someday plan of buying a well drilling machine that hooks to the PTO on a tractor. Takes a tractor with lots of Horse Power, he doesn’t know if his is big enough. Good for shallow wells, about 200’. Used for agriculture purposes, no permit is required. That is a one of these days thing. Then I’d be able to keep a field watered enough to have some grass for the sheep.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It has been CRAZY here! I’ve had SEVEN sets of triplets here, 3 of them yesterday. I’ve also been butchering chickens, 10 yesterday and 15 the day before, they are on ice. Going to do chores this morning, then get busy on getting them what I call “fine cleaned” cut and vacuum sealed and in the freezer. I still have 12 more to butcher, they get a stay of execution for a few more days until I get this 25 in the freezer.

I’ve got to count up how many lambs now….lets see, it is 26 lambs from 10 ewes in 9 days. I ear tag them when they hit the ground or else I wouldn’t know what lambs go to what momma.

I put all my sheep in a night pen for safety from coyotes. Right now, Sheba is the lamb and ewe guard and she is phenomenal. Trying to get new babies and their moms rounded up and in the night pen is like trying to herd brain damaged deer.

Some of them get suspicious, figure out that feed might show up soon, run to the pen, see empty pans and run back out again yelling. Some start towards the pen, this wakes up their sleeping babies, babies want to eat, ewe stops. Some babies are left in the field by their Greedy Gut Momma and cry pitiously. Momma runs back out crying for babies that she can’t find. I put feed in the pans, there is an attack of starving piranhas, tiny babies running to find Mom, trying to suck on Not Mom and Not Mom butts them away. Meanwhile Good Moms are still nursing their babies out in the field, yelling SAVE SOME FOR ME!

I go pick up 2 babies, leaving one to follow Good Mom. I carry them low so Good Mom can follow, other lamb follows. Suddenly Good Mom runs back to find her babies. I set babies down and they cry. Good Mom comes running with lamb racing to keep up. I pick up lambs, carrying low, rinse, repeat, until we get to night pen. There’s 2 cow panels in my slap together pen and lambs have figured out that Greedy Mom is on the other side and they congregate together for mass assault and entry through the cow panels. A couple more trips to the field to retrieve Good Moms and lambs, and all are up for the night. I feed again, put out more grass hay and when feed is gone, alfalfa goes in the pans.

This is my life now…….

I’m going to do a photo dump. There’s going to be lots of cute baby lamb pictures in the coming weeks.

Fancy is due tomorrow. Then I get a break, 2 are due on the 18th and one on the 20th. Then that’s all. We’ll see what the final number shakes out to be.

I’m tired, bordering on exhaustion. Got o get chickens processed today, do morning chores, check on ewes multiple times, fresh water, alfalfa and grass hay. My shelter and pen is serving well.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of them get suspicious, figure out that feed might show up soon, run to the pen, see empty pans and run back out again yelling. Some start towards the pen, this wakes up their sleeping babies, babies want to eat, ewe stops. Some babies are left in the field by their Greedy Gut Momma and cry pitiously. Momma runs back out crying for babies that she can’t find. I put feed in the pans, there is an attack of starving piranhas, tiny babies running to find Mom, trying to suck on Not Mom and Not Mom butts them away. Meanwhile Good Moms are still nursing their babies out in the field, yelling SAVE SOME FOR ME!
😂 Oh my goodness, too funny. But sounds exhausting.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_6257.jpeg

IMG_6258.jpeg

IMG_6260.jpeg

IMG_6265.jpeg

IMG_6267.jpeg

IMG_6270.jpeg

IMG_6271.jpeg

IMG_6279.jpeg

IMG_6280.jpeg

IMG_6282.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don’t have much to contribute to the “garden” these days. Y’all have no idea how much I miss a garden, deep rich soil and fresh veggies. I just can’t get there yet. So I’ll just hang out here and provide plenty of pictures for your enjoyment and entertainment. What’s not to love about lambs?

Only took 11/2 hours to take care of animals this morning. Added another water bucket to lamb pen. Added 2 half blue barrels, 1 for grass hay and 1 for alfalfa. I’ll get pictures later. Finishing bowl of corn flakes, then I’ll get going on packaging chicken.

Latest posts