Baymule's 2017 Garden Thread

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@pale towodi they don't have any plastic in them. I have used them for years. They sure work good at keeping the weeds down!

@Nyboy, I scattered dandelion seeds, saw one in a pasture a few days ago, going to transplant it to the garden before the sheep eat it.

@so lucky I am using Azomite on the garden and as a mineral lick for the sheep. It is rock dust from an ancient lava flow in Utah. It has all sorts of trace minerals in it. I'll make some compost tea from chicken compost and spray with that for the heavy feeders.

@valley ranch thanks! The grand daughters have a blast here and Parker, the dog adores them. He is a house/farm/spoiled dog! LOL

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@pale towodi they don't have any plastic in them. I have used them for years. They sure work good at keeping the weeds down!

@Nyboy, I scattered dandelion seeds, saw one in a pasture a few days ago, going to transplant it to the garden before the sheep eat it.

Not all feed bags are made equal. My chicken feed used to come in paper bags, outside and inside layers of paper with a layer of thin plastic in between. I tried taking those apart to take the plastic out to use the paper part for mulching one year but didn't get all the plastic out. I had bits of fine clear plastic all over the place when that paper rotted. I think that's what Pale Towodi is talking about.

Bay, what kind of feed bags are you using. The chicken feed ones I get now are heavier plastic, they quit the paper ones years ago. I store compost in them. And when I'm throwing trash away I usually put it in a chicken feed bag before a garbage bag so the stuff doesn't poke holes through the garbage bag.

Do you need any more dandelion seeds? I could fix you up, just let me know. I have plenty of dandelions. I've almost finished cleaning my first quart of dandelions for your jelly recipe. I plan on doing a second quart, I'll make two batches of dandelion jelly this year. Cleaning those dandelions is a slow tedious process but most of the stain comes off my thumbnail when I wash the dishes so it's not too bad. One of my Christmas jellies last year was a mix of dandelion, mulberry, and pear. That was pretty good.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dandelion jelly is a lot of work. Mixing it with fruit sounds like a good idea. But then I ask, why even mess with the dandelions?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks @Ridgerunner I might take you up on that. There are dandelions here that are short and close to the ground. The seed I brought with me, those grow up to 2 or 3 feet tall, branch out and bear a lot of flowers, plus being easier to pick. I'm going to move the one I saw to the garden and next year I should have lots of them!

I use my horse feed bags. It is a Martindale feed and their bags are all paper.

@seedcorn, because dandelions are good!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule. 2-3' tall!!!!!! :barnie You are perpetuating monster dandelions.... Keep them in Texas!

Interesting video. I will try the greens again. The milk ridding one of warts is interesting.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, mine are the type that are close to the ground so that won't help you. As far as I'm concerned you can keep those others in Texas. We get a lot of south and south west winds here and those dandelion seeds can travel a long way, but that is probably something I wouldn't recognize as dandelions anyway so I'd probably just mow it down. Even if I did recognize that thing I'd mow it.

I like to have some "different" jellies in my Christmas gifts along with the standards. I'm thinking about doing a watermelon margarita jelly this year. But dandelion qualifies as different too, I think it kind of tastes like honey. The reason I used dandelion in the mixed jelly was I had about a cup of the juice left over. My mixed jellies are made from whatever I have left over that I think might go well together.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner that is what I thought-tastes like honey. So in deference to picking dandelions I decided to support the bee keepers instead. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dandelions support the beekeepers too. I saw several honeybees on the dandelions when I was picking them yesterday. Some of those dandelions did not get picked.