Baymule's 2017 Garden Thread

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@pale towodi 2-4D is in the mix of Agent Orange. It is not the one that caused the cancer. Like all chemicals, not to be drank or used as a sun screen.

pale towodi

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ever wonder why no other creature uses or needs these chemicals?..to be truthful..because they are smarter than most people

Its a chemical, man made, to kill living plants and organisms and it leeches into the ground water we and other creatures have to drink, it's residual for several years in the soil and even if a horse or cow eats in a pasture where 2-4d has been used, the compost from that animal will cause plants to die if planted in it.
This, I know for a fact...one of my neighbors has 9 horses and sprays around his pastures with this 2-4d. He has a huge pile of manure, hay and shavings from cleaning out the barn. Some was 3-4 years old, composted and we tried to use it to grow a garden and it killed everything we planted in it. it was another 2 years before it would grow anything.
I can use my barn cleanings, manure and compost and everything grows in it and loves it.
I care more about me and others than to put that junk in my body or use it around my property..no matter how "safe" our lying government or anyone else says it is.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The half life of 2-4D is not that long. It does not get into the water UNLESS you are so off label-like semi load per 100 sq. Ft. It is not a insecticide but a broadleaf herbicide. Even soybeans (2-4D kills them) can be grown 10 days after spraying 2-4D.

I have NO problem with NOT using man made chemicals. But please, stop with untrue statements. After applying 3-4 year old composted manure, I can think of no reason why that area would be completely sterile for 2 years.

pale towodi

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
A cup of water or anything for that matter, if you add a little poison, is still contaminated and will eventually with continued use and exposure kill or make sick.
They are chemicals designed to kill, period. If it will kill plants and trees then it will kill a human being and other life. Period.

Tell ya what..I will stop pushing to quit using these poisons when others stop pushing that its okay to use them because they are "safe" because it does not get in water "UNLESS" etc. or it is residual only at xx parts per xx. there's drift and runoff and groundwater that this infects.

34b4ded1a0257e35dd9cabc643136b94.jpg

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This, I know for a fact...one of my neighbors has 9 horses and sprays around his pastures with this 2-4d. He has a huge pile of manure, hay and shavings from cleaning out the barn. Some was 3-4 years old, composted and we tried to use it to grow a garden and it killed everything we planted in it. it was another 2 years before it would grow anything.

I'm not advocating what you should or should not do Pale Towodi, and I do respect your convictions. Not looking to stir up any dust here.

The problem I have with using your illustration as a factual basis for the damage 2-4D does is that it's actually not a fact. Unless perhaps you took a sample of the aged compost to a lab and had it tested for residual 2-4D and got positive results back.

It's coincidental that your neighbor sprays around his property and the compost you got from him was somehow tainted. I believe that happened because you said it did. But you can't possibly pin it on a particular anything because you simply don't know.

Be careful of the accusations you make by connecting A to B.
Those are exactly the type of statements that are anecdotal and not provable without hard evidence.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Certified organic chemicals are just as deadly. So to be consistent, go to organic boards and stop them from using all chemicals.

Or are "organic" poisons OK?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule Went and took a look at your pix. Your dandelions have a different type of leaf. Does it have the deep tap root?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule Went and took a look at your pix. Your dandelions have a different type of leaf. Does it have the deep tap root?
Yes it does. I gathered a lot of seed from them before we moved. Not very many came up, so I will find them as they bloom and transplant them to the garden. At our old house, I just let them grow where ever they came up.

Latest posts