Baymule's 2017 Garden Thread

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's a picture from our old house. I just let the dandelions grow wild. I think some of these were over 3 feet tall. The neighbor's yard down wind somehow got a lot of them too......

IMG1018.jpg

I would be happy to have dandelions all over the place. They make good forage plants, their deep roots bring up all sorts of minerals and nutrients. The sheep think they are candy.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Definetly not the short, ugly things we have.....

@Ridgerunner I support the bee industry but thatbstops at growing dandelions... Let them go elsewhere for them or use flowers in my bed. Nothing worse than stepping on a bee while it is feeding on a dandelion in yard that survived me....

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
In our area of the PNW , a good dandelion is a dead dandelion that has NOT produced any seeds. Just a scourge of the world weed that ALL of the lawn maintenance people and landscapers are making a fortune in removing them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Strange Bay in your garden they almost look like a mini dahlia
They do!

I think they must be near their southern boundary in Bay's garden. Wikipedia: They are native to Eurasia and North America. Mexico is considered North America but notice they don't say "Central America."

I like dandelions altho they don't look good in my lawn and I can think of other wild plants that taste better. Still, they are edible and, ya know, their roasted roots tasted better to me than the chicory that I grew and roasted for a coffee substitute.

:) Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister lives in a very upscale development. The HO once gave her 2 weeks to do something about the dandelions in their lawn.Claimed they where Ruining every lawn on the block. They had to pay for a lawn company to spray their lawn.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister lives in a very upscale development. The HO once gave her 2 weeks to do something about the dandelions in their lawn.Claimed they where Ruining every lawn on the block. They had to pay for a lawn company to spray their lawn.
$16 of 2-4D would have done the trick with an $8 gallon sprayer.

Latest posts