Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
TheSeedObsesser said:
baymule said:
We DID get snow today!! Right here in southeast Texas!!Big fat wet flakes that fell and melted when they hit the ground. But it was snow! Forecast is low 30's and high 20's for the next several nights. Great, we'll have frozen roads and idiots having wrecks. It has rained and rained and rained and rained. Tired of rain. :tongue

I have the heater on in my redneck greenhouse. Tomatoes and bell peppers are toasty warm. :coolsun
Are there more scorpions/ spiders in your house than usual? We are infested with house flys/ asian ladybugs/ earwigs all trying to avoid the cold. I actually had an earwig on my hand when I was typing that. Stupid bug. :tongue
Never had a scorpion in the house. House flies and other bugs are pretty much gone for the year. But we do have whalloping huge cockroaches that you could throw a saddle on and ride them to work! :lol: And they are active all year around. Hate 'em! :rant Chickens love them though. Maybe you need a couple chickens in the house to take care of those bug problems......poop?? no problem.......let the dog in!! :gig

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, there used to be a house not far from here that would have the front door just standing open during temperate weather. The dogs would wander in and out, and the chickens would wander in and out. It kind of reminded me of He-Haw.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Heh, I used to be guilty of leaving our front door open at our old house ALL THE TIME in the summer. The dogs didn't need to be in a fence there. No chickens to wander in though! Occasionally I would come home after running errands, and realize I left the door open the whole time I was gone! Sometimes friends would stop in because they thought we were home - because the door was open! Don't do that now that we live right in town :)

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Baymule, I'd imagine that scorpions would be as much of a nuisance as anything else, I guess they know not to mess with Texans. The cockroaches must not have gotten the memo yet. :gig

We don't have a dog anymore, although we do occasionally dog-sit. The last dog that we had was a Great Pyre. She made a box of rocks look like Einstein. Everywhere you'd walk it was like her nose was cemented to your back end. We originally got her to protect the animals. One day a rabid raccoon (a small one) got into the duck-yard. That dog sniffed the coon once, then ran into her doghouse and cowered in the corner. We finally got rid of her when we figured out she was eating the goose eggs. So yup, no dogs. Maybe... chicken diapers?

My old neighbor used to have a missing back door. Never replaced it, so it was open year round. His chickens and dogs ran in and out whenever they wanted.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now, if a Texas Scorpion ever got the memo, and got big enough to saddle up...

NOT ME!

I'm not riding a horse sized Scorpion. Nope. No sir and no thanky maaayam!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Man, it is just getting colder and colder here. Tomorrow high of 12, low negative 11. Thursday looks like the worst, high of 9, low of negative 19 with wind chill to 33 DEGREES BELOW ZERO!!! :(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heather, think about how you are gonna stay warm!

Friday morning may be below zero here. We will be missing most of this cold air mass. It is coming south but moving off to the east at the same time - or soon. That "Look at the Sky" thread has a map of what the WS thinks will happen, 3 days out.

As things warm here, I am just hoping that we get back to about where we were. It can snow a little more. We don't have much insulation (or none) on the ground right now. . . cooooold!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Heather, that's just criminally cold! Poor you! You can come over here to the warm side of the mountains and stay with me until Montana comes to it's senses. We can play Monopoly and bake cookies. :p

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heather, make sure any ole folk neighbors are warm enough.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in SW Washington in is now at 19.8* with wind speed of 0.0 , clear , and a visit from Jack Frost. Approaching a record cold for today ! :th Well, yesterday, my 10 3ft. tall rhubarb are now comatose and hugging the ground. :barnie ... I am putting out am APB for Jack Frost as armed and dangerous and stalking any and all tender plants, unwrapped water faucets / pipes / irrigation lines /water hoses / pet and livestock water bowls / waterers. Don't approach but to call 911 if spotted . :ep :caf

Latest posts