Buford T. Justice Baymule’s LGD

Rammy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well "let" is a strong word. The ones we groomed were mannerly in that they didn't bite, but sitting on your paws when you're 100+ pounds is not especially helpful. >_> It takes 2-3 people to carry a dog pretending to be dead into a tub because dead weight is soooo much heavier than even a dog planting their feet.

We didn't get terribly many of them in though. The most common LGDs were Great Pyrenees in this area. It's a treat to get anything that's not a shihtzu, schnauzer or llhasa though.
Don't I know it! When I groomed(30 + years), I got sooo tired of shih tzu day (when almost all my grooms were that breed), or poodle day, schnauzer day..... :th and there were always a few who weren't exactly cooperative( bit, wouldn't stand up, wiggly). :barnie
I had more trouble with the smaller dogs then the big ones. :rolleyes:
There were a few big dogs, a few over 150 lbs, that I trained to lay down on one side so I could shave or comb out, then turn them around to lay on thier other side to groom.
I did several Pyranees, but they usually got shaved during the summertime. We had outside kennels and we would take the really large dogs out there to bathe.
The ones that just got combed out and blow dryed were fun......the hair would be flying everywhere and it looked like it was snowing. :lol:
My favorites to groom were the poodles. 🐩

Last edited:

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't I know it! When I groomed(30 + years), I got sooo tired of shih tzu day (when almost all my grooms were that breed), or poodle day, schnauzer day..... :th and there were always a few who weren't exactly cooperative( bit, wouldn't stand up, wiggly). :barnie
I had more trouble with the smaller dogs then the big ones. :rolleyes:
There were a few big dogs, a few over 150 lbs, that I trained to lay down on one side so I could shave or comb out, then turn them around to lay on thier other side to groom.
I did several Pyranees, but they usually got shaved during the summertime. We had outside kennels and we would take the really large dogs out there to bathe.
The ones that just got combed out and blow dryed were fun......the hair would be flying everywhere and it looked like it was snowing. :lol:
My favorites to groom were the poodles. 🐩
Blow outs were my favooorite! Wear a bee keepers hat so it doesn't go in your face and create your own snow storm.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Buford takes his own baths in the pond. The hot wind is his blow out! :lol:
To be honest for farm dogs I think this is sensible. It's crazy to me that people brought in LGD Great Pyrenees who lived in the field 24/7 for an annual bath...dogs went straight into the mud as soon as they were done. Why did I just spend hours of my life washing, drying, brushing and combing this dog only for it to go swamp swimming the second I'm done?!

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
To be honest for farm dogs I think this is sensible. It's crazy to me that people brought in LGD Great Pyrenees who lived in the field 24/7 for an annual bath...dogs went straight into the mud as soon as they were done. Why did I just spend hours of my life washing, drying, brushing and combing this dog only for it to go swamp swimming the second I'm done?!
My in house beagle did the same 😂. She would go outside and roll around in the grass after getting bathed. Lucky for her she was adorable!

Rammy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know! You kill yourself washing, drying, brushing out a big dog only to have them crap in thier cage and get it all over themselves. Then you have to do it all over again. 😭

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don’t bathe my dogs. Not even Carson who comes in the house. Why? Because it’s an exercise in futility. If Carson offended my nose, he’d get a bath or maybe just not come inside. He lays in the dirt 2,378 times a day!
I have better things to do with my time. Like sweep the floor……

If they had a skin problem or needed a bath for health reasons, then yes, they would be cared for.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I let the dogs out in the mornings, Buford is so excited! He shows his gratitude by inappropriately nibbling on me, pinching me with his teeth. I bat his head away, I do my puppy yelp, and I stay close to the fence. I try to calm him down, but Sheba gnaws on his leg, growling, ready to play. That just adds to his excitement. I can get him to sit for a second or two, and I praise him profusely. Sheba doesn’t help with her biting on him, but finally they break away and go run the field.

If I pet Sheba or Sentry, Buford pushes between us, for attention. With a non existent attention span, trying to teach him otherwise has proved fruitless. He’s just now starting to “get it”. I hold his head, look him in the eye and tell him to sit. Then I pet and praise him. That lasts a few seconds, then he’s back to being a goofball. Trying to teach him to wait for his turn. Sheba helps by snarling at him and biting him.

Our daily walks on a leash from the field to the front yard, then back in the evenings is helping his leash manners. He sits for me to put the leash on and for me to take it off. He is always last, as low ranking member of the pack

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Little granddaughters are here for the week. The youngest has a cheetah suit and loves to wear it. Because of the heat, I bring Sentry inside, he goes in a dog crate. I put Buford and Sheba in the front yard, they go under the porch where it is cool.

The youngest wanted to go out on the porch to pet Buford. Sure! Buford hopped up on the porch, happy to come see us. He took one look at her, stopped dead in his tracks, scared! Where was his little girl? This thing didn’t even have hands! It had PAWS! And a long TAIL! AACCKKKK! He jumped off the porch, barking at this strange creature that knew his name!

IMG_4982.jpeg

I had her stand still, take one hand out of the paw and called him to me. He carefully sniffed the paws, giving them a good going over. He sniffed her all over. I held the tail out and he sniffed it up and down. Finally satisfied that it was indeed his little girl, he relaxed and she could pet and hug him. It was so funny!

Latest posts