Canesisters 2018 Garden Thread - BTE/SBG hybrid??

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
For your use, seems like a good choice.

IF Ava gives you a heifer, will you keep, sell or eat her?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn, I keep wavering about that. I'm really not set up to keep two full grown girls (and possibly their half-grown calves) year'round. Just not enough good, quality pasture (yet). So keeping her isn't an option. I'd like to think that I could sell her to one of the local angus cow/calf operations around here.

@Nyboy , On the day when I carefully plan a breeding for the purpose of getting a heifer to keep, THEN I will be very particular about the stud. For now, though, I'm only concerned that the bull produce a small calf that becomes a 'beefy' yearling.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm out of my pickles, got to get some cucumber seeds in the ground!

Talladega is a real nice cucumber. However, it's a slicer so you have to be considering that if you want it for pickles.

Before I suggested that, I looked at where the seed is sold. Two Canadian outfits and Holmes in NE Ohio. I don't know but that surprises me a little. Maybe it isn't as well suited for the South. I don't grow cukes for pickling but Talladega has become my favorite slicer.

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed, I've got a BTE question.
There is a tiny little field right next to my pasture probably not even 1/8 acre. It's the power company's easement so I can't fence it. I don't want to hand graze Eva in it for fear that she will get the idea it's 'available' and pop over the fence to enjoy on her own. It grows LOVELY and TALL grass that a neighbor bush-hogs for me 2 or 3 times a summer.
I recently got a new tool for the purpose of helping me keep the vines and grass off of my fence lines. It's a 30" hedge trimmer on a 4' pole... and it MOWS super tall grass beautifully!!!

That little field is about waist high in grass going to seed. I have gotten the nutty idea to attempt to hand harvest hay off of it :confused:. However, at it's current stage it is too far along to be good hay. SOOOOooooo I was wondering if I mow it (long stems with seed heads, cut almost like scything), would it be good to lay down in my prepping the garden expansion for NEXT summer?? Under the cardboard?? Over the cardboard but under the sawdust??

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it depends upon how deep you plan on keeping that mulch layer and for how long. i don't want grasses anywhere in my gardens so i wouldn't use it at all once it has formed viable seeds. hot composting or feeding to chickens might take care of most seeds, but i just don't like even a few so i toss all the grass seed heads and any roots that might grow along the ditch.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed, I've got a BTE question.
There is a tiny little field right next to my pasture probably not even 1/8 acre. It's the power company's easement so I can't fence it. I don't want to hand graze Eva in it for fear that she will get the idea it's 'available' and pop over the fence to enjoy on her own. It grows LOVELY and TALL grass that a neighbor bush-hogs for me 2 or 3 times a summer.
I recently got a new tool for the purpose of helping me keep the vines and grass off of my fence lines. It's a 30" hedge trimmer on a 4' pole... and it MOWS super tall grass beautifully!!!

That little field is about waist high in grass going to seed. I have gotten the nutty idea to attempt to hand harvest hay off of it :confused:. However, at it's current stage it is too far along to be good hay. SOOOOooooo I was wondering if I mow it (long stems with seed heads, cut almost like scything), would it be good to lay down in my prepping the garden expansion for NEXT summer?? Under the cardboard?? Over the cardboard but under the sawdust??

You could use it like regular hay mulch and it would be great for garden prep. Not sure I'd use sawdust, though, unless it was buried in a very active compost pile.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wed 5/16 So far this week:
There is a row of Romas and Pink Icicles in the garden. They are very likely mixed in amongst each other because as I was digging holes I came across some kind of ground bee that 'shook' me - I was sure that yellow jackets had made a nest in my garden. I was dodging and rushing and trying to get done and out of there and forgot that I had 2 kinds of tomatoes that I had WANTED to keep separate.....
Turns out that whatever that buzzy little yellow bee/bug is, it's not aggressive and there SEEMS to be only one?
Also got New Yorker, Mark Bagby, and the freebie 'black vara-something' cherry tomatoes planted along with the only 3 surviving Rice peas (cow pea).

Hopefully will get some more beans started before the weekend and will get the squash in the ground soon too.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
some bees aren't unless they get trapped in your clothes. when i'm working in the gardens with flowers they can be all around only a few inches away. as long as you don't swat at them they don't usually have any reason to attack, they just want food.

hornets and wasps can be more aggressive, but that is often because they nest in places where you might want to go.

the small bumblebees can sting more than once and they signal others by some smell because i had them get me a few years ago and one tried to sting me through my shoe and then others went after my shoe. good things crocs come off easy. :)

a solitary bee could have been a mason bee which would be starting out the nest for the season. i find them under bits of bark on the ground.

Latest posts