Canesisters 2018 Garden Thread - BTE/SBG hybrid??

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the crows got into the little corn patch that I had set up inside my chicken pen. There is a lot of evidence of scratching around and several of what looks like little corn sprouts laying around. :mad:
SO! I decided to re-plant and camouflage them.
Another hundred seeds in the ground. Then I went down the drive to that little field and used my hedge-trimmer-on-a pole to cut some hay.
hay 5.26.18.jpg
I gets bogged down and can't get through the soft 'grass' but slices though the seed stalk like a hot knife through butter.
5.26.18hay.jpg
I got a trailer full and scattered it over the disturbed soil in the corn patch. Hopefully it will hide the little corn sprouts until they are big enough for the crows to now want them. Since it's in the chicken coop and not in the garden, I don't care about all the grass seeds I just planted... if any survive, the chickens will LOVE them.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
The tomatoes are FINALLY GROWING!!!!!
I laid down another ring of cardboard and covered it in sawdust to keep the grass from trying to crawl into the garden.
The fresh stuff is exactly the same as what I started with and there is a definite difference in color. The 'garden' part is rotting down nicely.
Because I'm rushing it and not letting it slowly rot in to compost, I'm adding a little side dressing of garden-tone now and then. I'm sure the sawdust is using up pretty much all of the nutrients and even though I added a lot of compost around the plants, I worry that they weren't getting enough.
5.26.18.jpg
Also put in a few more rice peas, several little rows of beans and a small patch of pimento peppers.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
QUESTION :
How often can/should I add a little Garden Tone around the tomatoes?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
QUESTION :
How often can/should I add a little Garden Tone around the tomatoes?

i had to look it up to see what it was. it says once a month 1/3 of a cup per plant. not right up against plant so three inches from stem.

in reading the ingredients/content it looks pretty well balanced and says slow release too, so that is usually good.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Strawberry boxes going in!
(and I am ridiculously excited about this for some reason)

weed barrier down.jpg weed barrier (feed bags) down

cardboard down.jpg cardboard in

ready to fill.jpg just enough mulch to cover the weed barrier - this is so that I won't have to weedeat around the boxes while I'm waiting for the garden to 'grow' this far.

gate space between the boxee.jpg second one done

They are ready to fill and plant!

gate.jpg The space between will eventually be the 'gate' to the garden. I have enough of that picket fence ('found' at the dump) to separate the dog's yard from the garden. I'll have to cut off part, of course, to make a 10' opening between the boxes.

setting up the gate space.jpg When the chicken pen comes forward another 10', there will be a straight line from the 3-board yard fence on the right - across the end of the garden using that 'picket' fence - hooking up with the chicken yard. EVERYTHING behind the pickets (up to the paddock fence) will eventually be garden.

Latest posts