Canesister's 2019 farm journal

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just some 'before' pictures to push me along a little...

This is that 'space' between the paddock and the chicken yard.
2.26.19 1.jpg 2.26.19 2.jpg

Wintertime looks so dreary :(

This is the fence line that I intend to (simply) move the boards from the short paddock posts over and onto the tall chicken yard posts. It will hold the wire fence tight and keep it from bowing out like it is. The water trough - which is behind me on the right when I took these pictures - will be moved to sit perpendicular to the chicken yard fence in the space that is now between the two fence lines.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
And the chicken's yard expansion... I am SOOO Looking Forward to getting THIS one done!!!!
Currently the 'gate' into the chicken yard is a loose piece of wire that is attached to the side of the coop and hooked onto a tree.
Soon.. I hope.. the chicken yard will expand out to the pine tree. The little logs were marking the hoped-for fence line so I could visualize it.

2.26.19 1.jpg 2.26.19 2.jpg 2.26.19 3.jpg

The garden is the hay-covered space in front. When the chicken yard fence is finished - there will be a 4' gate at the point where the current chicken yard's corner is so I will have easy access into that space from the garden and barn (the garden fills the space between the side of the barn and the chicken yard). There will be a large gate just the other side of the pine tree that will allow me to easily pull the mower & cart in or even back the pickup in. The new fence will shoot right through to the wooden fence way in the back. That wooden fence is the yard fence that is in need of posts straightened and boards replaced.

So... most of my projects for this summer tie into each other... :rolleyes:
I can't move the trough until I move the fence. I can't expand the chicken yard until I fix the falling down fence. I can't finish the garden's fence until I expand the chicken yard so I have the corner post to tie into...
It's all good... Once it gets rolling, it will just keep snowballing until it's DONE!. :D

Sounds like you got it figured out, I like ambitious goals, they keep you busy and help you sleep at night Lol. Seriously, nothing you've mentioned sounds unreasonable. Just do yourself a favor and do as much as you can physically before it gets unbearably hot, living in the south you know what Im talking about. I try to plan my projects in the spring and fall, leaving the heat of the summer for just up keep and mowing grass. Once I get all my seeds started for spring planting, Im jumping on my chicken coop with both feet, and my side kick will have a foot or 2 in it also Lol.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...So... most of my projects for this summer tie into each other... :rolleyes:

we have an old joke here about doing one project means doing another dozen. i couldn't really do a lot of things until i got the south berm (great wall of china) finished to keep the flash flood waters at bay. now i need to redo the channel along there to get it easier to mow and reseed it all with a good mix of grasses to keep the soil from washing away, etc...

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just some 'before' pictures to push me along a little...

This is that 'space' between the paddock and the chicken yard.
View attachment 30790 View attachment 30791

Wintertime looks so dreary :(

This is the fence line that I intend to (simply) move the boards from the short paddock posts over and onto the tall chicken yard posts. It will hold the wire fence tight and keep it from bowing out like it is. The water trough - which is behind me on the right when I took these pictures - will be moved to sit perpendicular to the chicken yard fence in the space that is now between the two fence lines.
Being a farm boy all of my life and raising all manner of livestock ... may I suggest that those chicken yard posts are too thin and tall ( wimpy and how deep are they set into the ground ?) , fine for chickens, but not suited to stand up to your plan to contain larger livestock such as cattle . I would think that you would not relish replacing that fence again and /or have a large Vet. bill. I would suggest 3 - 6 x 6 posts to form a triangular corner with bracing corner posts and 6 x 4 line posts set about 32" into the ground and 5' to 6' tall with no more than 8 feet spacing between them . The 1"x 6" boards are way too thin and will easily break when your cow decides that she has an itch that needs a good scratching. At the very least, I would add a heavy guage wire field fence over 2" x 6" boards. I know that you don't really want to hear this, and I don't like it either, but that is the real farm life and cost less in the long term.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The yard fence that is falling down.....
View attachment 30792 View attachment 30793

Need to straighten posts and replace missing boards.
AND cut brush/trees away.
Those posts are either set way too short into the ground or have rotted away. If they were set at a shallow depth, you will most likely have to replace them and set the new posts much deeper or you will forever do de- leaning maintenance either due to wind and/or wet soils or your cow having a good daily side belly / butt scratch. If rotten near ground level, they will have to be replaced. So, please do yourself a favor and do it right the first time.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL! If I had done it 'right the first time', it wouldn't be on the list now. :lol:
Lucky for me, neither the horses or the cows have enjoyed leaning against the electric wire in order to rub on the fence. The goats though, were inside the yard and spent quite a bit of time pushing and getting hung-up in that fence line.

Latest posts