Catalogs, 2022

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug wrote: seeing anything you really must have for this coming season yet? :)

I decided to move this over here since the question was about looking in the 2022 catalogs that have arrived and not on over-indulging on Leftover Halloween Candy :).

HPS has a tall marigold that is on the front cover and that attracted immediate attention. Aside from their odd fragrance, I like marigolds. Tall plants in the garden provide that homey, cottage garden feeling as well, don't you think? It looks like the Jung's conglomerate may be the only US source for this new variety altho, we can also buy it thru Stokes. That it is described as a "specialty cut flower" suggests that it is in that new marigold group that doesn't have the odd fragrance ;).

The double larkspur caught DW's eye. I think that we became a little tired of the larkspur that would self-seed again and again and I would leave those where there was room. These look special :). I have never grown coleus from seed but they sure are pretty. Ten different varieties!

HPS has a 56 day, red, mildly spicy with "smoky undertones" pepper. 56 day! "Sweet Heat" - a spicy bell? They aren't really new nor exclusive. Why haven't I tried those?

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Osborne Seed catalog has arrived :).

Good Heavens, if you like pumpkins! The catalog has more pages (13!) dedicated to pumpkins than for anything else. That's not counting the 5 pages of winter squash, several of them could pass for pumpkins ;).

Yes, I'm still thinking about how well my Jack o'Lantern variety will keep in the basement. The pie pumpkin in the 2020 garden didn't do nearly as well. Yes, I'm looking at the "semi-hard shell" Cannon Ball pie pumpkin, 90 days.

Osborne also has that marigold. Some new products obviously make it into the paper catalogs before the websites.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Johnny's catalog is here. "Over 100 NEW products for 2022 ..."

Where are they? Since nearly all are in with the older varieties, it's a search. I quickly realize once again what an enormous number of products that Johnny's sells! I know that I have said it before but I predate this seed outfit and over the many years, it's made tremendous growth in what it offers.

Let's see, they have the Big Beef "Plus" but not those others. It was Lemon Boy that I was hoping to see improved version (& in smaller seed packets than HPS); Big Beef has done well for me each and every year.

Lots to tempt. These China asters sure are pretty :).

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't get many seed catalogs; the only one so far for 2022 is SSE.
The Osborne Seed catalog has arrived :).

Good Heavens, if you like pumpkins! The catalog has more pages (13!) dedicated to pumpkins than for anything else. That's not counting the 5 pages of winter squash, several of them could pass for pumpkins ;).

Yes, I'm still thinking about how well my Jack o'Lantern variety will keep in the basement. The pie pumpkin in the 2020 garden didn't do nearly as well. Yes, I'm looking at the "semi-hard shell" Cannon Ball pie pumpkin, 90 days.

Osborne also has that marigold. Some new products obviously make it into the paper catalogs before the websites.

Steve
Osborne looks like a company with possibilities; but I guess I'll have to get them to waste some paper, for me to find out. Their website tells me to use a different browser, even after I white-listed them with my add block. First time I've ever encountered that in a commercial website... what are they, owned by Microsoft? :mad:

EDIT: it appears they may be wholesale only?

Last edited:

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mother was a salt-a-phobic and had a stroke at 88. One of the effects of not enough salt in one's diet is stroke. It ruined her life, she gave up her home and moved in with us.
For me, I use Real Salt. I salt my food to taste. Sometimes I shake some in my hand and eat it, I guess that is my body saying that salt levels are low. I also use canning salt in my tomatoes.
Eh. To each their own.
I salt everything too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
wholesale only?
No.

That company is in an important farming area and they sell in bulk for commercial growers but they have smaller packets.

When we have problems with the TEG website and ask Nifty about it, the first question from him is, what browser are you using? Since I'm so often using an Amazon Kindle, it's Silk. This browser gives me trouble - sometimes with a capital T.

Steve

Latest posts