Christmas Eve 7 Fishes

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We don't have a traditional meal. My Grandmother always insisted on turkey and dressing. One year when I hosted Christmas day, I fixed shrimp gumbo, she was horrified and made the turkey and dressing. LOL LOL LOL Yesterday, we had gone to my sister's and I got up and cooked beef pan sausage I made and scrambled eggs from my EE hens. Christmas dinner was smoked brisket, ribs, potato salad, baked beans and deviled eggs.

But I sure did make the TRADITIONAL egg nog!! My great grandmother made it for breakfast on Christmas day. My Mom remembered as a little child, drinking egg nog at breakfast. I got the recipe from my grandmother and I now make it for the family Christmas.

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So as my little family became smaller and smaller we decided everyone should have what they wanted on Christmas Day. So for my hubby, my sister and my daughter and myself we would have standing rib roast, ham,turkey and a little lamb. What festive days they were. We all had a but of everyone else's meals and by the end of the day we were all asleep in the living room on our special chairs. I am so glad we did all that....

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
funny, i've never much cared for venison because of the taste being too strong, but if it is well trimmed i can tolerate it. lamb in comparison, i love a good lamb stew and gyros wouldn't be the same without some lamb in there... but i like all the spices that usually go with lamb and/or gyros.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never a fan of lamb, always thought it had a gamy after taste

Never a fan of lamb, always thought it had a gamy after taste
The best chefs always serve lamb on a HOT STEEL PLATE or on a HOT plate . When the fat cools it conjeals and leaves an aftertaste. Also, if you get a lamb from a wool breed , it may have the aftertaste of lanolyn which many people percieve as gamy. The sheep breeds that are bred for meat ( standard Southdown, Suffolk, Hampshire, Dorset, Dorper ) have a much milder flavor and is prefered. :drool
It might be that day glow green jelly you cover lamb with :sick
That green jelly is mint jelly. When you order lamb, make sure it comes on a HOT plate ( and keep it hot as that will make a huge difference) and ask to not put the mint jelly on a side dish or without it. :thumbsup

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
But I sure did make the TRADITIONAL egg nog!! My great grandmother made it for breakfast on Christmas day. My Mom remembered as a little child, drinking egg nog at breakfast. I got the recipe from my grandmother and I now make it for the family Christmas.

if you'd care to pass it along... please, sir, can i have some more? i would enjoy having it in my collection too (along with the additional pickling spices *hic*) in case i ever actually want to make it? :) if you consider it a family secret then nevermind me.

Latest posts