Coffee, Old School

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom campfire coffee is boiled in a pot over the fire. No need for fancy-schmancy percolator coffee pots! To settle the grounds, drop in an eggshell or chunk of ice.

Yes I have used a percolator, but it has been a long time. Now we use Mr Coffee and usually buy the cheap ones, they die and we get another.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like your mom @journey11 !

I'm trying to get away from plastic as much as possible that's why I ditched the drip.
@baymule , I will probably go cowboy when we're camping, but it's kind of fun exploring the way my folks used to make coffee routinely.
Also that campfire on the kitchen floor is so hard to clean up.

Arrakis

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've never had coffee from a percolator. I use a stainless steel press. The body and lid is double walled, keeps the coffee hot for quit awhile. Makes just enough for two large cups. We live off grid with a very small battery bank and didn't feel like running the generator in the moring to make coffee.
Ahhh.... I do enjoy having my coffee in the morning and looking out the window....

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom campfire coffee is boiled in a pot over the fire. No need for fancy-schmancy percolator coffee pots! To settle the grounds, drop in an eggshell or chunk of ice.

It works if you have enough teeth left to strain out the grounds that don't settle. I know, Texans like to chew the grounds instead of spitting them out.

Yes I have used a percolator, but it has been a long time. Now we use Mr Coffee and usually buy the cheap ones, they die and we get another.

Pretty much the way I do it. First thing I do when I get up is put the coffee on. Then turn the computer on. Then get dressed and ready for my first cup.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a stovetop perculator for emergencies, but since I don't need coffee, it was to keep Spouse from becoming a bear.

Son came with has own countertop machine that I have religiously prepped the night before so he just needs to push one button. Still, he was used to stopping in town for his coffee and sometimes forgets to push start.

Me? By that time, I'm doing gym things, not thinking about coffee.

Latest posts