Coffee, Old School

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love a good cup of coffee... but I LOVE that extra 15mins in bed more. I go with the Keurig for speed. I use one of the little 'fill it yourself' filters and use French roast in it in order to get it strong enough.
Of course.. in a pinch, when the brewer was on the fritz, I have been known to do this:
coffee.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@thistlebloom campfire coffee is boiled in a pot over the fire. No need for fancy-schmancy percolator coffee pots! To settle the grounds, drop in an eggshell or chunk of ice.

Yes I have used a percolator, but it has been a long time. Now we use Mr Coffee and usually buy the cheap ones, they die and we get another.
At CW Reenactments we used to just pour in the fresh grounds and boil it. The last person always got grounds in their cup, but it tasted good, anyway. EVERYTHING you make while camping tastes pretty good bc you usually work up an appetite.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the mountain, we have a Pro style coffee maker, A pour through.The Malitta works the very same way, except you boil the water yourself and pour through. The coffee can be ground as large or fine as you like. The water stays in contact for a good long time, same as Pro style, by design, just a little more hands on.
I boil my water also. I like my coffee and tea hot. Most coffee makers do not make coffee hot enough for me.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree. I don't like tepid coffee. I pour 2/3 of a cup at a time so it doesn't cool too much before I finish it.
When I have coffee with a friend who uses an expensive model of drip coffee maker she always finishes it in the microwave to get it hot.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
swear1[1].gif

THIS is why firearms are banned at the landfill....

We have a keurig at the scalehouse. I keep it on top of a file cabinet and keep the top drawer filled with an assortment of coffees - French vanilla for one of the dump truck drivers who doesn't like 'real' coffee - decaff for the mechanic who had a heart attack and can't have caffeine - 'Breakfast Blend' for the county folks who stop by and steal coffee every morning - 'Jet Fuel' for me
sFun_coffeeaddict[1].gif

SOMEONE moved a handful of the decaf pods into the Jet Fuel box
sFi_slap2[1].gif

No wonder my coffee tastes like dirty water....
sFi_rockthrow.gif

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Day 3 of my perk test, haha. I have the whole process down to 15 minutes now. Yay.
I mentioned my "project" to a friend yesterday and she stared at me blankly. Especially after I told her it took 50 minutes start to finish for a dark cup.
Oh. I'm such an embarrassing newbie. :oops:

She gave me a quick tutorial of the way they do it and told me to stop being so, um, precise, which wasn't the actual term she meant, but I got her drift.

So today I launched out boldly and am sitting here with a great cup of coffee and much confidence!
Like this :caf.

Latest posts