Coffee, Old School

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never had coffee from a percolator. I use a stainless steel press. The body and lid is double walled, keeps the coffee hot for quit awhile. Makes just enough for two large cups. We live off grid with a very small battery bank and didn't feel like running the generator in the moring to make coffee.
Ahhh.... I do enjoy having my coffee in the morning and looking out the window....

I have a glass press that was a gift, but when I use it my coffee tastes muddy. I'm doing something wrong somewhere...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gadgets? Stop being so contrary Mary! A coffeepot is not a gadget, it's what separates us from the barbarians. Like socks and underwear.
(Now that you've confessed to us about your sorry coffee brewing habits, puhleeeze don't tell us you don't wear socks and underwear). :eek:
Someone hasn't had their first cup of coffee. Such grouchiness, haha.

Uummm..."chonies" are optional. ;)

Mary

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Malitta, Mary, are you talking about a malitta coffee funnel?

Great coffee can be made with that. The Brazilian use it and make a very good cupa!

There is the larger funnel that will make a full pot, I completely approve!
IMG_1473.JPG

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would never make my coffee dark enough. I like it strong and dark.

Like my horse. :lol:
You can make it as strong as you like. Just use a dark roast such as French roast and put in more coffee grounds. My husband likes strong coffee and he can make a good cup of it for him.

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, does that top-of-the-cup thing hold the hot water in with the grounds for a while to let it brew? I can't see how it would work, but it looks interesting. Do you use a whole lot more grounds this way? About how much per cup of water?

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The key to a great cup is the length the grounds spend in contact
with the water perking where they are in contact the longest will give the best cup
but love cleaning the wood fire off the kitchen floor best :gig:yuckyuck

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, does that top-of-the-cup thing hold the hot water in with the grounds for a while to let it brew? I can't see how it would work, but it looks interesting. Do you use a whole lot more grounds this way? About how much per cup of water?
I use about 1.5 scoops of the baby formula scoops. I fill it with water and then have to wait a minute for the water to go down and refill. I like my coffee medium strong. My husband uses 2 scoops cause he likes his stronger. We only use the dark roast coffees. I find the medium ones are not strong enough.

I measured my scoop and 1 scoop is 1 tablespoon.

Mary

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
On the mountain, we have a Pro style coffee maker, A pour through.The Malitta works the very same way, except you boil the water yourself and pour through. The coffee can be ground as large or fine as you like. The water stays in contact for a good long time, same as Pro style, by design, just a little more hands on.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't seem to find my baby formula scoop. Haha. ;)

I follow the recommendations on the bag of the coffee I use and it says 2 TB per 6oz of water. All over the web people say 1 TB per 8oz, so it's a huge difference. From what I understand too much water to coffee results in over extraction and a bitter brew.

Latest posts